Make ELITETRACK Better: Use Your Real Name

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #15594

The traffic on ELITETRACK has grown tremendously in the past couple months. The easiest account of this is how dang hard it is to keep up with all the great new blog entries and posts on the forum. This is great and it means that we are collectively becoming a community that is interested in learning from each other. For that I’d like to thank everyone who’s contributing to the success of the si

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    rystone on #81059

Mike, that is indeed a great way to sift out the hacks who have too much spare time on their hands. I often wonder if they just want to feel good about themselves by making someone else feel bad, ticked off etc.

That’s one thing that I always liked about the Supertraining list was that Mel insisted that everyone register for the list and then sign with their real name (and their location) to any post that they made. It sure cut down on the garbage.

Here, here!

Ryan

Participant
    Mccabe on #81061

Done.

Participant
    mortac8 on #81063

Good idea. I am totally in agreement. There might be a bit of a shakeup if everyone changes there name though and totally ditches their original name… temporary loss of identity. Maybe include both???

I never knew how to do this though. Thanks for the instructions.

Participant
    J Kilgore on #81067

I agree with Mort, maybe posting your old name here would help with some of that.

-(formerly) IrishB

Participant
    Tom ONeill on #81069

Feels weird to use my real name on a message board, but we’re pretty much all in the same field here so I’m cool with it.

PS-Embrace the apostrophe Mike. If you want me to do this, I wanna do it right! 😉

Participant
    Matt Norquist on #81070

Done. It also makes googling and verifying some wild claims a little bit easier.

There was a guy on a decathlon forum (not here – different site) I saw a few weeks back who claimed to be a 10.18 100m guy who had scored “73 something” in the decathlon and bench press 450 and clean 425… Somehow, though he was “unfindable” when I tried to search for such a person on various performance lists.

Matt

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #81072

I hope everyone puts their old username after their real name for awhile. Otherwise I’ll have no idea who is talking! (with a few exceptions)

Participant
    RussZHC on #81091

After some thought, agreed.

The “HC” is hurdle coach, not head coach :cheese:

Participant
    QUIKAZHELL on #81106

I think this is a step in the right direction and good idea. People will now be help accountable for all the STUFF they write. I was pondering doing this in the past anyway since I have nothing to hide.
    Mike my question is this…. what will stop people from coming on here and just posting a fake name such as “Joe Smith” (haha sorry James, Smith was all I could think of) or the name of someone famous.

rj24 on #81114

I throw my name around as it is, so I might as well put it up here too.

And yeah, I like this change. Not only will it make the site more close knit, but it should facilitate more civil exchanges.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #81119

I think this is a step in the right direction and good idea. People will now be help accountable for all the STUFF they write. I was pondering doing this in the past anyway since I have nothing to hide.
    Mike my question is this…. what will stop people from coming on here and just posting a fake name such as “Joe Smith” (haha sorry James, Smith was all I could think of) or the name of someone famous.

I see Clyde Hart has already joined us…

Participant
    utfootball4 on #81121

Better get use to it..

Participant
    Ian Cooley on #81130

[quote author="JasonManenkoff (Quikazhell)" date="1239430859"]I think this is a step in the right direction and good idea. People will now be help accountable for all the STUFF they write. I was pondering doing this in the past anyway since I have nothing to hide.

I see Clyde Hart has already joined us…[/quote]

Thats a sub-forum, not a member…

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #81131

For pre-existing members it will be an option until they are reported for / uses improper conduct on the forum at which point I’ll ask that they leave or use there real name.

Obviously someone can falsely represent themselves but if anyone suspects this is going on just report it and I’ll ask for proof of identity from the person. It’s easy enough to send a picture of a drivers license or some other ID these days. There are several forums out there much larger than this one that do this and I don’t suspect it will be a big problem. Because this isn’t a gossip and rumor site like letsrun, trackjabber, cassidyfeed there shouldn’t be nearly as much incentive to use a false name (famous or otherwise).

I’m guessing the Clyde Hart comment was actually a joke on Jason’s (effective) use of an all-tempo program.

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.