Make ELITETRACK Better: Participate in the Discussion

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #15646

I’ve had a forced hiatus from the site and blogging due to work but I wanted to pick up where I left off in the series of how you can make ET better. In my first installment I asked for you to use your real names in hopes of reducing internet warriors and fostering a community. This installment is going to be a little more straight forward and obvious. If you’re a lurker, and I know there are to

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    jonnybgood on #82141

Hey Mike,
    I am going to take your advice and chime in with some questions. The main reason I have not in the past is not much of the discussion is centered around the age group I deal with in t and f, which is middle school. I have only been coaching 3 years so far but the team I am coaching has doubled in size! I am very proud of that, but would love to gain more knowledge. The hardest part of coaching middle school for me has been balancing things. I work with sprinters, hurdlers, relays (1 and 2)jumpers, and throwers ot a lesser extent. I certainly understand the concepts about hard and easier days, but man is it tough to fit everything. I would love to hear any and all talk about this awesome age group.

I love this site and visit it everyday. It is almost overwhelming the amount of knowledge that is “thrown” around everyday.
    Thanks for your hard work.

Jon Beyle
    Chapel Hill, NC

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #82160

Welcome aboard. Perhaps we could start a youth development sub-forum? I think this might be helpful for others in your situation. Anyone else out there who would be interested in a youth development forum?

BTW- what school do you coach at. I just moved to Cary, NC and am coincidentally writing this post from a cafe in Chapel Hill.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    jonnybgood on #82164

That forum sounds great! I teach and coach at Phillips Middle. We have 2 1/2 weeks left. Great part of the season. Just moved to Cary? Sounds great. Please let me know if I can be of any help to you and your family. I am a born and bred Tar Heel, which are getting harder to find. I would welcome the opportunity to meet you and talk track and field!!
    Jon Beyle

Participant
    Ian Cooley on #82166

Mike- you still in Chapel Hill? I go to UNC and I’m done with class for the day :coolsmile:

Participant
    RussZHC on #82169

Youth (by Athletics Can definition, 16/17 yo) and middle school (Gr 7/8/9?) forum would be a good thing;
    just had my first presentation in a long time (to teachers of above ages) and the thing that struck me most was that regardless how good the presentation/topic is/was, the time line, be it short season or the limited amount of session time to get everything done was the overriding factor…eg. while a 30 to 40 minute warm up maybe “good”, if you only have 75 minutes that is half the time, if you only have a month to first competition and then it is competition once or twice a week right up to provincials/state it is not the same as having multiple 6 week cycles to work with…you don’t have months to fix hurdling errors, you may have a couple of practices before the time line forces you to move on…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.