Lurkers Come Forth

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #14818

In the U.S., today is Labor Day, a day that for many marks the symbolic end of summer. With this in mind, I thought it would be fitting to touch on a couple of things going on at ET. In the past 2 months, we’ve surpassed our 1,000th blog post, 220th article in the article database, made a ton of changes on the site, and moved in to our 7th year in publication on the web. All this is great, but as

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    hurdlerontheditch on #71918

All right, one lifelong lurker has made the big step and come forth with a debut post.

Participant
    klp2332 on #71919

Don’t do what many has done, expand their online communities too quick and for the wrong reasons…

Other than that, I think it depends what kind of people you want to visit the site. For example more article submissions may not necessarily be interested by the average athlete.

Blog content suggestions narrow down the width of the blogger’s thoughts and degrade blog quality.

More social features may work.

But it all comes down to your aims and what you want…

I think this has been discussed before, but a good function to have would be to view the original blog on the same page as posting a reply to it, so one will be able to refer back with ease.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #71920

I actually don’t want the quality to degrade at all. If anything I’d like it to ramp up. I know it’s possible because we were there (as far as participation at least) 2 years ago and then a couple things really hurt the site (my neglect, the 4 weeks of total downtime due to a bad host that occurred last year, the change over in forum software, etc.). I’ve noticed the article submissions don’t do much. Thanks for the feedback…please keep it coming.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Chad Williams on #71924

What would be my incentive for a blog that stimulates 10 posts? Gold star? Free t-shirt? Fame and glory?

On a more serious note, I like this site the most for a few reasons:

1) I feel like the quality of posts are high

2) There are not many d-bags that post random pointless crap (take a look at letsrun.com, the volume is astounding but quality is low)

3) I have felt like I have learned a ton from the site and it got me through my first few years of coaching

4) I like the article database, it is a great reference tool

5) I like Mike’s and Vern’s blogs, I wish I knew a 1/4 of what both of you know, but I am working on it. I learn so much about training and race analysis, along with other things. I think that is what makes this site unique. Your blog and Vern’s blog have given me so much to think about and challenge a lot of ways I do things. Sometimes I agree and sometimes I disagree but still it makes me think.

I am unsure if you need to make it a members only site, there is so much information on here that you could spend days without ever needing to post. My brother has been reading this site for years and I know it because he will talk to me about my blog, but never contribute. Maybe I should encourage him to post more, but I don’t think posting is what makes a site great, it is information.

With that said, I won’t lie to you, for up to date track information, I go to letsrun.com. While the message board is a lot of fluff at times, the home page has a wealth of track information and lots of current articles. It is like a track newspaper.

Participant
    J Kilgore on #71927

I agree with Chad. I think this site is a great resource and I know that I have turned a bunch of my former athletes on to it, but I’m not sure if any of them have ever posted…mostly because there is so much in the archives and articles that it takes so long to get through. I do think that, if possible, have more current happenings in the sport atop the threads list would increase the number of posts…although I’m not sure that’s what you are going for. This site is such a highly quality of conversation than 95% of letsrun and I think that is what makes it great.

I’ll also apologize and admit that I need to post more…since I’m on constantly.

Participant
    mortac8 on #71928

Start pimping the site at USATF meetings. Maybe accidentally wear an elitetrack.com shirt at least.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #71929

I don’t really want to try to compete with results driven sites like Letsrun’s main page, IAAF.org, or even Track Shark. They already do a great job at what they do and I can’t imagine ever being able to match the scope of their results.

I look at some similar sites from different sports (triathlon, bodybuilding, baseball, etc) that are educationally based and I can see that there’s possibility for expansion. The way I see it, if the discussion opens up and more people become active (either blogging, article contribution, or posting in the forum) then we all learn more.

Bloggers incentive…money, affiliate ad income, product hocking if that’s your thing. The thought process would be better content would presumably drive ad revenue to the site that I don’t mind giving away. I have no idea how this would work but it crossed my mind. The only reason that forum posts were tied in is because that would presumably be a good indicator of how high the quality or how thought-provoking the blog entry is.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    mortac8 on #71933

You could try the AthleticsCoaching.ca thing and invite elite coaches onboard for a few days every now and then to answer questions.

Participant
    Chad Williams on #71936

Mike, when the volume was the highest, what was the reason for it? Were there great topics to post about? Were more people doing training journals?

Participant
    TR400 on #71937

I just want to say that before reading this post I was a “lurker”.I really enjoyed coming to the site and reading Mike’s and Vern’s blog posts. After reading Mike’s blog on lurking I decided to sign up and join. There is a wealth of information and healthy opinions on this site and i feel track and field could use some this candid commentary and exposure. I think what sets this site apart from trackshark and others is that you get opinions, feedback and helpful hits from its administrator. As far as ideas on how to improve the site, i think more video would be helpful. Maybe a video blog here or there from Mike or Vern? Also i know i would love to train with mike, so why not present an opportunity for someone to work with him in some capacity?

Just my thoughts…..

Participant
    Chad Williams on #71939

Nice that is two lurkers and 10 posts! Mike gets a free t-shirt!

Hurdler and TR, welcome to the forum!!

Participant
    Derrick Brito on #71940

ive actually been trying to post but my computer fried and the one at the library doesnt work as well.

Participant
    Derrick Brito on #71941

well now that i can post, i do have a thought.

i dont feel there is enough cookie cutter information. while the faqs do a pretty good job at making an intro to training theory, i feel there could be a little more. since you arent pushing any books you written like some sites, i think that would work. that would be very helpful for people coming in with no idea how to train (like i did once upon a time). we dont have to write books with complete systems, but articles or faqs summarizing the old strength at lsu thread or something would be nice.

i do like incentives for blogs. speaking of which, how do you start a blog here?

Participant
    cliffordwinburn on #71942

Cockysprinter, if you need more basic information there is a lot of books for good deals that will address what you describe as cookie cutter information. Just look at the recommended reading list on the USATF website. Or go register for a USATF Level 1 cert? Anyone can get a Level 1 cert. You probably know this, but hope it helps anyway.

I believe the reason for less discussion is for members who do post their thoughts for discussion, are BASHED HARD by other members who strongly disagree. This could make a member not want to post in having to deal with the post being bashed constantly and petty arguments. Sorry Mike, I have no solution for this one.

I am not sure how you can generate more discussion unless members post something more thought provoking like, “The biomechanics of olympic lifts resembles vertical jumping, but why not then just jump with weight rather than have to take time away from training to learn the skill of olympic lifts to get most benefit?” I know this is one of Vern Gambetta’s but I can’t help but think about it and want to discuss it. Then again I am currently more a lurker… so maybe I don’t know what I am posting about. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.