Lance Armstrong and the Marathon

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Vern Gambetta
        Participant
        Vern Gambetta on #12264

It was interesting to read an Interview with Lance Armstrong about his preparation for the New York Marathon. First I was struck with how haphazard his preparation was compared to his methodical preparation in cycling. On second thought it makes sense in that he is now a ‘retired’ athlete. What really jumps out is that this guy is all about competition. He competes in everything he doe

Continue reading…

Participant
        Daniel Andrews on #68044

He goes 2:20 or better.  He was a former triathlete and he did runs in offseason cycling as I understand.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #57869

I'd bet he'll be closer to 2:40. 2:20 is hauling. While I think he has the aerobic capacity to run faster than that the specific preparation for his legs is not there. The eccentric loading experienced in running is tremendous and dubiously absent from cycling. Should be interesting.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        beast on #57870

2:20 or better??? you have got to be joking. As a former cyclist who did occasional ran also, its not as easy as it sounds crossing over. Sure i was never at the level that Lance was at, his lactate threshold is through the roof, but iv found that its not aerobically that i was suffering, it was my leg muscles that couldn't take it. The best triathletes in the world cant do a 2:20 marathon. It is said that a good runner CAN make a good cyclist, but its a lot harder to be a runner after being a cyclist. il put my reputation on the line and say he will not break 2:20. I have a lot of respect for what he has done but he won't do this, at the very least not at his first attempt. and he was a triathlete when he was a teenager. that a long time ago.

Participant
        flow on #57871

i guess another problem is the new yorker marathon itself.  lots of hills to climb.  heard it was slower because of that…

Participant
        Chad Williams on #57872

Haphazard training and if he runs with Matthew McConnehey (sp? who cares anyway), he will be real close to 3 hours.

I am calling 2:56.

Participant
        beast on #57873

Totally agree CW.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #57874

I've started a guess Lance Armstrong's NYC marathon time thread. The winner gets a free ELITETRACK shirt (one of the oldschool ones). See here.

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.