Kettlebells

Participant
    Irish100m on #16440

Anyone heard of these or use them? Can they help develop strength and power for sprinters?

Participant
    Mike McKenna on #93211

They’re great for conditioning (GPP), and really good for specific conditioning for throwers. A friend of mine (who is RKC certified and swears by them) wouldn’t reply to this thread because he doesn’t have any specific info about them benefiting sprinters, but it makes sense to him that they could help. As a sprinter, your time with weight is probably better spent with cleans, snatches, squats, presses, and deadlifts. Use the kbs if you’re weak and don’t have access to a bar, or do some as core work/ auxiliary work occasionally.

Participant
    Matt Norquist on #93212

I’m a fan of them. I think they are great for warm-up for weight sessions. I do 1 and 2 armed swings, and 1 arm C&J as part of my weight warm-up.

Really good cardio vascular workout as well. Great for Recovery/Circuit days too.

You can get pretty creative if you have facilities to throw them, too.

Participant
    Irish100m on #93213

I do all deadlifts, cleans, sqauts etc … just wodnerign if i could do these as well, vary up my weights sessions.

Participant
    Matt Norquist on #93215

I do all deadlifts, cleans, sqauts etc … just wodnerign if i could do these as well, vary up my weights sessions.

I think that’s exactly their utility – Varying the sessions or using as a warm-up. I am doubtful you’d be able to find/handle heavy enough KB’s to get the same effect on Deads, Squats, Olympic Lifts, etc. Also – I worry about wrist injuries on Olympic movements, and shoulder injuries on various swings if the weight is too heavy.

(Turkish Get-ups are a great KB exercise that everyone should try/do now and then).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.