Just a Thought….Tempo on a Concept II

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #15299

I’ve kind of taken to using a concept II rower from time to time as my warmup for weight training. I’ve had quite a bit of exposure to the activity, first from my high school, which is a perennial rowing powerhouse; and second from having Dr. Hagerman as my professor while at OU. Doc Hagerman, is one of the founding fathers of Exercise Physiology in this country and a long time physiologist for

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #77298

I loved using the concept rower on my tempo days at the old gym I used to work at. I thought it kept me a lot more fresh for my speed days.

Participant
    Dave Hegland on #77299

Love it, always have it in place as a tempo option. My only reservation is a few people with very kyphotic posture and tight anterior chains. Might the sustained rowing position contribute to a further locked down frontal fascia line? Perhaps not any more than being on an a bike.

We generally use them in 30″-2′ intervals, with gs type work in between, so the durations may not be long enough to have an adverse effect. But I’ve found all the positives you outlined to be true. Some people really gravitate toward them and cite the reasons above.

Participant
    coachformerlyknownas on #77303

It just so happens that:
    1. I have a contact within Concept2
    2. That contact, who I have known for over 30 years, whipped CFKA’s butt in 2 HS Decath’s back in the days of Ford’s Model T (kidding, more like in the days of the Edsel)
    3. He is USATF L2 certified and has attended L3’s I believe.

Wrote him for his unique perspective on this thread. Will pass on what I get back.

Mike, do you ever remember meeting him (Dave Gomez)at a L2?

Participant
    deroki on #77307

I was using a Concept II to replace extensive tempo running up until about 3 weeks ago. I found the fatigue levels much closer to those experienced doing tempo running as compared to trying to do tempo on a bike/lifecycle. And the tight anterior chain issues Duck mentioned were very evident – i was building way too much lactic acid in my glutes for a tempo day! I have some achilles problems at the moment and wonder if they’re in any way related. For the time being I’ve replaced Concept II tempo work with tempo on the bike.

Participant
    J Kilgore on #77309

Would you use a similar framework (as far as volume, rest, etc..) as you described in the metatarsal thread for developing the workouts on the concept II?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #77310

Would you use a similar framework (as far as volume, rest, etc..) as you described in the metatarsal thread for developing the workouts on the concept II?

Yes. Maybe slightly longer intervals on the erg but otherwise the same.

Another nice thing about it is that you can get very precise pace and power output estimates that could be used to monitor effort far easier than you ever could with running. For example, you could do a 500m ‘race’ to figure out average power output for that time period (readily available on even the oldest Concept IIs) and pace that could be used to nicely regulate the tempo substitute workouts.

ELITETRACK Founder

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #77311

Mike, do you ever remember meeting him (Dave Gomez)at a L2?

Sounds very familiar but I’m terrible with names. I’d probably remember the face. He is a sales rep for C2?

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Novice on #77317

For those with posterior chain problems you might want to try the versa climber for tempo. Tabata intervals. It is not for everyone though, totally kicks my ass in 10 minutes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.