Just a Thought…Hill Jumps Progression

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #15647

While I was catching my breath on a rest interval during a tempo running workout at my local park yesterday, I gazed up at the hill that surrounded the large grass field I was running on like the sides of a bowl. The hill was about 30m up at an incline of about 30 degrees. I’d probably never have anyone do serious running workouts on a hill like that because the surface was too uneven and the inc

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Chris Sole on #82003

I like the fact that you can manipulate the eccentric and concentric demands using hills… it can be pretty useful, and most coaches and athletes have access to some type of hill/incline

Participant
    B Hobbs on #82014

I still think stadiums are better.

No risk of uneven surfaces. You can manipulate intensity by having them hop either steps (small gap) or seats (large gap).

The only thing I am intrigued about is that hills will require much more of a toe-off similar to jumping where stadiums you can get away with full-footed take offs. Any insight on this?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #82102

With stadium stairs I always feel there’s both a safety element to it (tripping on stairs) as well as a false intensity constraint (the jumps and landing basically have to match up with the stadium seat spacing). Also, stadiums are almost always concrete which is one of the hardest possible surfaces and would surely wreak havoc on the lower extremities for downhill plyos.

The only thing I am intrigued about is that hills will require much more of a toe-off similar to jumping where stadiums you can get away with full-footed take offs. Any insight on this?

I’m not quite following this.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    B Hobbs on #82104

We are blessed to have a wooden short stadium near by that works out. I mostly use hill, stadium, incline hops for endurance anyway so I am not to concerned with distance as much as contacts. Hurdles and boxes give me my intensity.

That comment was me typing out load. Being on a steady incline you really need to toe-off hard to get yourself moving forward and up the hill. Seeing if this has and advantages or not

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #82106

We are blessed to have a wooden short stadium near by that works out. I mostly use hill, stadium, incline hops for endurance anyway so I am not to concerned with distance as much as contacts. Hurdles and boxes give me my intensity.

This would work except the downhill / down stair jumps would inherently be VERY intense and not something you’d want to do for endurance, general fitness, etc.

That comment was me typing out load. Being on a steady incline you really need to toe-off hard to get yourself moving forward and up the hill. Seeing if this has and advantages or not

I understand now. I’d imagine you’d develop the gastoc-soleus complex a little more along with strengthening the Achilles because you’d land in a stretched position and force the ankle joint to move through a greater range of motion.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    JeremyRichmond on #82113

Everyone’s probably getting tired of hearing me preach but: how about ‘high knees up the hill?’

Actually I favour double bounds up the hill of optimal distance per bound focusing on maximum speed of movement.

If it’s a hill as intimidating as the photo then occasionally one could do backward fast stepping down the hill but with a maximum of 10 steps in two sets. Then take a weeks rest to recover from the fast-twitch fibre breakdown and repair. (No references provided- which means just an educated guess as to the truth of this statement).

Participant
    Tom ONeill on #82116

Mike: When you say downhill jumps, are you talking multiple jumps or a single hill to flat ground scenario? Either way I feel like depth jumps or landings off a box would be more practical and a bit safer, but perhaps I’m missing something? I like the idea of uphill jumps for jumpers or even sprinters who really lack the strength for a quality block start.

Participant
    John Talley on #82201

I was blessed to have the area and the materials to build an approximately 60m hill that was and still is about a 5 degree slope. (Public Works was dredging ditches and needed some place to put the dirt)
    Once the surface was manicured (took about 8 months), I did a bit of training early on the backside/steeper-top end of the hill with throwers and sprinters. It worked well as a means of reinforcing proper movement patterns particularly pelvic origination and all work was uphill.
    I did very little downhill activities as far as plyos are concerned. The problem was I wanted to bound from an incline to a flat surface and the flat surface I had available was not conducive to this activity.
    Either way you go, the intensity is very great. I always considered less reps as more productive. I did not allow the novices to work downhill.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #82237

Mike: When you say downhill jumps, are you talking multiple jumps or a single hill to flat ground scenario? Either way I feel like depth jumps or landings off a box would be more practical and a bit safer, but perhaps I’m missing something? I like the idea of uphill jumps for jumpers or even sprinters who really lack the strength for a quality block start.

I was thinking continuous jumps. The simplest example for the progression would be 2 foot hops. With box jumps you’d get the eccentric overload but you’d also have to set up boxes, emphasize concentric on second half, worry about tripping on boxes, etc. I like box jumps but I’m just throwing out some counterpoints.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    B Hobbs on #82244

I was blessed to have the area and the materials to build an approximately 60m hill that was and still is about a 5 degree slope. (Public Works was dredging ditches and needed some place to put the dirt)
    Once the surface was manicured (took about 8 months), I did a bit of training early on the backside/steeper-top end of the hill with throwers and sprinters. It worked well as a means of reinforcing proper movement patterns particularly pelvic origination and all work was uphill.
    I did very little downhill activities as far as plyos are concerned. The problem was I wanted to bound from an incline to a flat surface and the flat surface I had available was not conducive to this activity.
    Either way you go, the intensity is very great. I always considered less reps as more productive. I did not allow the novices to work downhill.

Wait…you built a 60m hill. That is awesome

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #82246

[quote author="John Talley" date="1240555783"]I was blessed to have the area and the materials to build an approximately 60m hill that was and still is about a 5 degree slope. (Public Works was dredging ditches and needed some place to put the dirt)

Wait…you built a 60m hill. That is awesome[/quote]60m hill? That’s nothing! Check out the pic of the hills I built by myself with no tools in SE Asia (pic in my blog).

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    B Hobbs on #82249

Haha….I wouldn’t put it past you

Participant
    Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #82262

^^
    Very jealous. I want one.

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.