Josh Hurlebaus’ 400m training journal

Posted In: Training Journals

Participant
    Matt Norquist on #118703

Given that you won by like a second – cant complain much. Nice opener.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #118707

Thanks man, it feels good to be racing again, especially after getting so sick this summer and missing all of June.

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #118962

Any races?

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #119742

I didn’t fall off the face of the earth, I just have been taking a very relaxed approach to this journal.

After taking a little over a month off from late dec_-> jan, I started training again the first week of February, ran another race and went 6.88 a week or so into training.

I’ve been hitting it hard and just having fun with training. Opened up outdoors with the 200 this past weekend.
    https://67.23.19.61/system/files/8636/original/Results.htm?1365290887

The day was cold and the wind ended up being east/southeastern, giving us a small headwind on the curve and no help down the stretch due to the bleachers (thus the 0.1 reading). I’m happy with a 21.39. It felt smooth (Aside form blocks since I didn’t do any practice starts) and it’s a good starting point for outdoors. I wasn’t expecting much since it was our home meet and I got there to set up at 7am, was on hurdle crew, all that fun stuff. Just went after it like a workout and enjoyed racing!

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #119752

Thats pretty solid considering you won by a second and considering the time you took off. I wouldn’t be suprised if you went sub 21 once you get a bit more training and some competition.

How did the five weeks off affect your training? Did you go back to GPP type stuff or just keep going?

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #119759

The 5 weeks weren’t entirely no training, it was just a rough time after getting a rather nasty lingering eye infection from being spit on at work. I did a lot of general stuff during that time, focused on flexibility, general fitness, etc, because I couldn’t do much for more than an hour. Because I was still active I didn’t really start over, I just did a sort of ends to middle approach to hit different abilities that I had previously worked on and continually ramped up volume as the weeks progressed.

I’m definitely ok with how the race turned out. I’m taking this weekend off but more than likely racing again 2 weeks from now.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #119873

Pretty good weather and some alright times this weekend.
    200m- 21.25, +1.7 for a wind legal PR

Coaches 4×4 a very relaxed 49 for my first 400 experience of the year. First 200 was around 24, so, yeah that should give you an idea of how easy I took it hahah.

Video of the 200
    https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=487254931347525

Participant
    Christopher Glaeser on #119874

Hi Josh, congrats on the PR. The video is unavailable; you might check the permissions.

Best,
    Christopher

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #119875

Thanks for the heads up. I uploaded it to youtube.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #120032

Not too bad of an opener for the 400.

After getting to the meet and finding out they condensed a few things I only had about 25 min or so to warm up for my 100, which was into a headwind 10.70. Not bad. But I ran it as a warm up and jus stroked it due to the fact that the 400 was 15 min after it.

400 felt good and it was a hell of a battle between me and a UW-Milwaukee guy who had already gone 47s this year. I ended up nipping him at the line in 47.73.

I’m actually a little disappointed because with my 200 time I expect to be faster, but that’ll come with relearning this race.

Overall I’m pretty happy though. Ran hard, didn’t give up, and pushed through pain.

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #120033

Do you know what your splits were? That could be the reason for the relatively slow time

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #120034

I was just running with the competition. I know I came through the 200 too slow, only a 22.6-22.8. The headwind down the homestretch made for…hell.

Oh, it was also 1030 am.

Nobody should be running at that time. Ever.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #120035

Also, because this was a damn good day, I decided to have some fun around the campus and decided these are my favorite type of muscle ups now.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #120042

Had a good workout meet. All comers hand timed meet out in Madison, went out just to get some race practice in because there was a guy I knew going out there who runs in the 21’s, so I would get some push. It was run with a very slight headwind, but it was about 80 degrees and just felt perfect out.

Ended up feeling the loosest, freshest, and fastest I have all year. Everything clicked. No idea what happened but it was the perfect storm apparently. Yeah, it’s hand timed, but I’m still counting this as a sub 21.

Participant
    Christopher Glaeser on #120045

Hey Josh, congratulations on the sub 21. Regarding all-comer meets that are hand timed, some athletes are asking permission to set up their own electronic timing equipment. In addition to timing the event, you can also get accurate splits. Horizontal jumpers are also measuring acceleration and/or velocity on the runway.

I was at the Napa Valley BMX track a few weeks ago and everyone was curious as to why an Olympic medalist was intentionally starting in lane eight during a practice session. He had placed the Tx Junior transmitters just a few inches off the edge of the track to measure his acceleration out of the gate.

Best,
    Christopher

Viewing 15 posts - 991 through 1,005 (of 1,017 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.