Josh Hurlebaus’ 400m training journal

Posted In: Training Journals

Participant
    Owen on #118415

Hey josh, how are you managing the endurance side of things for the 400m? Will you be getting any spec endurance workouts in before your first meet?

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #118416

My endurance work started off with 45 second repeat hills early in the season and has gotten a bit more specific since then. My last spec endurance-ish workout was a 2x4x150 @20-21 with 90 seconds between each on our 150m indoor track.

My endurance still sucks, but I’m slowly rebuilding what I once had as a collegiate. It’ll help once the indoor season starts and I force myself into a 4×4 every week that I can.

My first meet however I’m just running the 60 and the 200 more than likely, just to get an idea of where I am speed wise. I’m not planning on running a 400 until late Jan

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #118422

Have you been able to maintain your speed since focusing on the 400??

Participant
    Eric Broadbent on #118426

If I were you, I’d get a 400 in before end of January. If you wait until end of January then your only giving yourself a few weeks before you need to hit the time you want right? Even if your body isn’t ready to run blazing fast 400, one of the best ways to get ready for the 400 is to run the 400…ya know.

Participant
    COV-GOD on #118427

Agree with Eric, best to know where you are early so you can adjust.

Plus as a new 4 runner good way to get the sength needed is just to race it

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #118433

Good news! My reasoning behind not doing 400s until later was because I had been fairly sure that I wouldn’t be able to compete at USAs even if I qualified because it typically falls on our conference weekend.

But this year they are a weekend apart so I’ll be able to compete, which means I’ll definitely be opening up the 400 earlier. I just got the email today about the conference schedule, so that’s pretty damn good news!

Now I just need to qualify again, lol.

Participant
    GoingsGone on #118441

do the U of C meet! It would be awesome to just try and keep up lol

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #118469

Its a possibility. Do they have 4×4’s at the meet? If i got on a 4×4 I would be forced to not puss out and run an honest 400.

Not a training note, but steak and sweet potato night is my favorite night of the week. So I have two of them per week.

Just saying, I love food.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #118557

This was the wind I was dealing with yesterday. It was insane.

Fun. But insane.

Participant
    Eric Broadbent on #118582

Did you have big tailwind for jumps? I’ll bet that would be fun, you’re looking springy dude

Participant
    GoingsGone on #118592

they finally put up the info on the holiday classic. https://uctc.org/schedule1.html

looks like they do have a 4×4, not sure how competitive it gets though

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #118595

Did you have big tailwind for jumps? I’ll bet that would be fun, you’re looking springy dude

Yeah, the tail wind was pretty intense, it was damn fun! And thanks, I’m feeling pretty springy and fast right now.

they finally put up the info on the holiday classic. https://uctc.org/schedule1.html

looks like they do have a 4×4, not sure how competitive it gets though

I could definitely make it the 15th, I might open up the 400 there now, hrmm… Probably run the 55 trials too just to get myself fired up and such.

Participant
    GoingsGone on #118598

awesome, I’ll probably be doing the same assuming I have a way there. bring it! 😛

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #118603

I am entirely not mentally ready for a 400.

Possibly physically ready. But definitely not mentally ready, haha.

Speed and power wise I can definitely handle a 60 and a 200, but the 400 sounds like a marathon to me right now, haha

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #118701

60m opener this weekend. 6.86

Didn’t feel too bad. There was an insane lack of competition and they random seeded it, plus I raced at 9am.

I take a noticeable little stumble around step 5.

All things considered I’m ok with this for a start to the season. Accel is in a good place given my more 400m specific training.

Viewing 15 posts - 976 through 990 (of 1,017 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.