Josh Hurlebaus’ 400m training journal

Posted In: Training Journals

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #86471

My Mondays and Fridays running workouts are the same for the coming weeks, with each week adding distance per rep and increasing recovery time slightly.

Lifting switches the atg squats and GHRs with parallel squats and RDLs. The RDLs will gradually go from the 2×12 to 3-4×8-10 throughout the next 7 weeks.

Warmup– 4x100m strides, hurdle mobility, dynamic flexibility work, a few sprint drills and then 3 accels.

Workout– 3x4x20m hill sprints, 60 sec/5-7min recovery for reps/sets

Lifting
    Powercleans 2×5 @ 175
    Hang Cleans 2×5 @ 175
    Squats 8×4 @ 225
    RDLs 2×12 @ 175

Shot throws
    4x each, Overhead spike throw, forward chest pass from squat, BLF, OHB

Overall I feel really good, although tired as hell. The parallel squats took more out of me than the atg squats did this week. I know i used higher weight for the parallel squats but I figured the increased depth of the atg would make me feel it more than these do.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #86476

Josh –

On those recovery days – for the BW circuits….

One suggestion – Either do max reps for a period of time – ie – 30′ push-ups, 30′ pullups, or else reps till failure.

For a guy as strong and quick as you are, the stuff you did today has almost zero utility.

Realize today was recovery, but if you are going to do low intensity resistance training, is much better to give it a little volume.

I disagree…

I think that workout is perfect in contrast with his other days…It actually looks very similar to what i did most tuesday as a recovery session…

Participant
    davan on #86483

My Mondays and Fridays running workouts are the same for the coming weeks, with each week adding distance per rep and increasing recovery time slightly.

Lifting switches the atg squats and GHRs with parallel squats and RDLs. The RDLs will gradually go from the 2×12 to 3-4×8-10 throughout the next 7 weeks.

[b]Warmup[/b]– 4x100m strides, hurdle mobility, dynamic flexibility work, a few sprint drills and then 3 accels.

[b]Workout[/b]– 3x4x20m hill sprints, 60 sec/5-7min recovery for reps/sets

[b]Lifting[/b]–
    Powercleans 2×5 @ 175
    Hang Cleans 2×5 @ 175
    Squats 8×4 @ 225
    RDLs 2×12 @ 175

[b]Shot throws[/b]

Overall I feel really good, although tired as hell. The parallel squats took more out of me than the atg squats did this week. I know i used higher weight for the parallel squats but I figured the increased depth of the atg would make me feel it more than these do.

Training is looking great. Keep up the good work.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #86488

Thanks, it feels good to be sprinting again. How’s your training been going?

Participant
    davan on #86491

I had a bunch of PR level workouts and tonight, after a long accel workout, did 8x3x155lbs on powersnatch, 60-90 seconds rest. Things are going well and I am finally getting consistent therapy (massage twice a week, 60-90 minutes each session on top of the foam rolling and such that I do), so I think that is playing a big part.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #86493

Good to hear that you are getting some good regular therapy. Once I get a steady income I’ll be doing the same, but in the mean time I’ve been using some of the stuff Mortac sent me for some self myofascial release.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #86516

Today was pool work but I didn’t have time to do my upper body lifting so I’m going to have to do it in an hour or so.

Pool work this morning was a few laps in the warm therapy pool (95 degrees) followed by some resisted (from the water) dynamic flexibility work. Then I switched the the lap pool and did aqua jogging, sprint drills and some tai chi pushing water movements. It felt really good and the soreness in my legs is noticeably less tonight.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #86519

Just finished the upperbody workout. I did a “playground” series at a school nearby.

20 seconds of each 3x through, 2-3 min rest after each time through

muscle ups
    handstand pushups
    pullups
    dips
    rows ( I use monkey bars and just anchor my feet on them )

I didn’t count reps but I’m pretty beat. The muscle ups are cheated a bit, however. The bar I use is only 7 1/2′ off the ground so my tip toes end up touching on a few.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #86538

Ooof… I feel like a train hit me today. I slept like crap and was tight and lethargic all day. I ended up dropping some volume today because of how crappy I felt. Hung out with some sick people this weekend so I hope I’m not catching something.

Warmup– 4x100m strides, hurdle mobility, dynamic flexibility work, a few sprint drills and then 2 accels.

Workout– 2x4x30m, 2x30m (300m total) hill sprints, 90 sec/7min recovery for reps/sets
    -knocked two reps off the final set

Lifting
    Powercleans 3×5 @ 185
    Squats 6×4 @ 185

Knocked last set of squats and final leg lift off. Didn’t do shot throws either. I couldn’t get my heart rate down in between sets so I called it a day. First time in awhile this has happened to me training, and the last time was right before I got sick so I think I’m gonna feel like hell in the next few days.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #86539

Just took an ice bath, hopefully my legs feel better tomorrow.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #86543

Hey Josh,

Can you tell me the role of rebound depth jumps in your training plan throughout the season. How/when/why/what do you use for them…

Thanks

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #86545

How: From various heights of 1-2 feet depending on how I feel/ how prepared I am. I will sometimes have a few in a row, set low > high > low >high, etc, where I drop off the low box, land, jump and land on the higher box. Sometimes I will just have one box with a hurdle in front of it, so after I drop off I do a hurdle hop to also work hip flexion.

When: I won’t be using rebound depth jumps for awhile, most likely not until the second 4 week cycle of my MaxV phase. I’ll use them to help keep gains coming later in the season for elastic strength and top speed without having the higher energy cost of doing more flying sprints or other similar max V work. Since my second cycle will begin incorporating more speed endurance I will need to maintain training vol without overworking the CNS, and I think these work well for that. When I use them in a workout will depend on what I have for the day, but they will certainly be after sprint work. Sometimes I will incorporate them into my lifting, complexing them with squats or RDLs. Some days might find that I do sets of bounds and plyos after the lifting is done to end my day on something explosive.

Why: While I use a whole battery of plyo and bounding drills throughout my training, the ones I use are dependent on the focus for the current cycle I’m in. For example, since I am in early GPP right now I will do most of my bounding up a slight hill helping me focus on power throughout full extension. As the cycles progress they will switch to compliment the focus for the current micro the best I can get them to.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #86562

Today’s workout was my designated “have fun” day, which consisted of a bunch of soccer. We played on a short field, 75m in length and did 8×3 full length strides with passing and a shot on goal, then a brief rest. My nose has been runny and stuffy so I think I am getting a cold, which could explain my poor performance yesterday (hopefully).

On the plus side I ate about a half pound of wild mulberries and blackberries after the workout. I love foraging for the wild fruit that grows along the river by my house.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #86744

Tweaked my quad a little bit on tuesday but it feels great now. Because of that skipped the bounding and jumps session on Wed. Instead I carried over some of the more specific work to today and lowered the vol on the hill sprints.

Weds workout was swimming and pool work for the quad plus an upper body circuit.

Thurs workout was 8×3 100m strides, 1 min between each rep, 3 between each set.

Todays workout (final workout of week 2 of 8 for this cycle)

Warmup– 4x100m strides, hurdle mobility, dynamic flexibility work, a few sprint drills and then 3 accels.

Workout
    2x30m skips for distance up hill
    3x alt leg bounding, 3 contacts each leg up hill

2x4x30m hill sprints, 90 sec/7min recovery

Lifting
    Powercleans 2×5 @ 185
    Hang cleans 2×5 @ 185
    Squats (parallel) 7×4 @ 245
    RDLs 2×12 @175, 1×10 @ 175

Shot throws

I feel great and the quad didn’t give me any pain during the workout so it wasn’t anything serious.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #86834

Yesterdays workout was some light bike circuit work. 1 min hard 2 min light. Did that 10 times for 30 min total, then upper body lifting (3×10 of bench, rows and weighted dips)

Todays workout

Warmup– 4x100m strides, hurdle mobility, some static flex work (very light), dynamic flexibility work, a few sprint drills and then 2 accels.

Workout
    2x6x30m hill sprints, 2 min/ 10min recovery
    1x3x30m hill sprints (
    -The incline of the hill dropped again and I’m feeling good speed right now. This is my high volume week before testing next week thur and fri.

Lifting
    Powercleans 1×5 @ 195
    Hang cleans 3×5 @ 195
    Squats (atg) 6×4 @ 205 (40sec rest)
    GHR 2×10 (hamstring felt odd beginning the 3rd set so I dropped it)

Shot throws

I’m feeling really fast and explosive right now. I’m really looking forward to testing next week.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 1,017 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.