Jonathan Edwards Training Diary

Posted In: Jumps

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #19116

I was referring generally to balance….unilateral strength balance, upper-lower body strength balance, strength balance across movements. I'd like my athletes to be STRONG. Not just strong in the squat or strong in the clean. I think you'd find the best athletes have strenth that carries over to a wide range of movements. While specificity is certainly important it can be easy to forget what you are really training for. For example, many people seem to equate strength gains in the squat (or any other lift for that matter) 1:1 with speed performances when in fact this is rarely the case. While strength gains in the squat (or any other movement) may be indicative of enhanced neural efficiency it is not always reflective of overall strength which I think is equally important.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    saltojump5 on #19117

If anyone is curious to see if Jonathan Edwards' training from 1995 can be replicated w/ great success, I am your guinea pig. Sure it is unconventional wisdom to follow a cookie cutter model. Don't lie to me, you're all curious. I am more than willing to replicate the training for the outdoor season. Hell, what have I got to lose? I've done worse experiments.

Sound good then?  :thumbup: or  :thumbdown: ??  Ha ha!  :laugh:  Smart coaches have feared this outcome, but curious jumpers can cheer!

Participant
    RunnerMan on #19118

sweet, go ahead  :thumbup:

Participant
    saltojump5 on #19119

ok then

Participant
    lorien on #19120

Variato delectat sed natura non facit saltus: diari Jonathan Edwards non scriptura sacra est, ergo non deus ex macina in triple jump est.

In other words: Noooooooooooooooooooo!

â?¦although, maybe something of the sort?

If you like to follow a similar path, then by all means go for it; I know you feel tempted to anyway! I kind of anticipated that after reading your training diary (Fri. 11/3). But you have to modify it into suiting your needsâ?¦ really! Perhaps we can help you out a little bit in simplifying your program into that kind of direction? Make a sketch for us to comment on before you decide anything!

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #19121

yeah do it…but dont try to lift that kinda weight…haha…it will be good to ee how much you improve by.

Participant
    mortac8 on #19122

If anyone is curious to see if Jonathan Edwards' training from 1995 can be replicated w/ great success, I am your guinea pig. Sure it is unconventional wisdom to follow a cookie cutter model. Don't lie to me, you're all curious. I am more than willing to replicate the training for the outdoor season. Hell, what have I got to lose? I've done worse experiments.

Sound good then?  :thumbup: or  :thumbdown: ??  Ha ha!  :laugh:  Smart coaches have feared this outcome, but curious jumpers can cheer!

Do it.  I truly suck at triple jump but always trained my arse off for it in high school and early college before dropping it.  I jumped 38'6" in HS and like 38'5" early college before giving up.  I did a massively reduced workload at the recommendation of Kelly Baggett (kinda like Edwards training) early this summer and jumped 40'10" for a 2' PR.  And yes, I had been triple jumping a bit every year since HS in the 37s.

Participant
    flight05 on #19123

what did u reduce? how did u modify it

Participant
    mortac8 on #19124

what did u reduce? how did u modify it

I am on travel now…don't have my logs.  I basically dropped almost everything.  I did something like
    Mon- sprint
    Tue- clean, squat & snatch dl
    wed- 1000m tempo
    thur- rest
    and I just repeated that.  It was very low volume… almost no technique work.

Participant
    saltojump5 on #19125

mortac8, that sounds sweet all that reduction in volume! it's funny how you can make a jump like that with your numbers after all those years just by switching things up. sounds refreshing, something to remember and try for when the meets come around. thanks for the insights.

Participant
    saltojump5 on #19126

[b]Variato delectat sed natura non facit saltus: diari Jonathan Edwards non scriptura sacra est, ergo non deus ex macina in triple jump est.
    [/b]
    In other words: Noooooooooooooooooooo!

â?¦although, maybe something of the sort?

If you like to follow a similar path, then by all means go for it; I know you feel tempted to anyway! I kind of anticipated that after reading your training diary (Fri. 11/3). But you have to modify it into suiting your needsâ?¦ really! Perhaps we can help you out a little bit in simplifying your program into that kind of direction? Make a sketch for us to comment on before you decide anything!

lol.  :laugh: I got you speaking in tongues and stuff! that's funny. yeah, the changes would be for the outdoor season, so there will be nothing rash right now. I'll post sketches and drawings in a few months, once I get my racing thoughts and epiphanies in order.   

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #19127

Perhaps this relationship between reduced volume and triple jump success is due to the demand that the event places on elasticity. I know that Walter always jumped best under lower training loads however they were never as reduced as what JE has in his log.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    utfootball4 on #19128

Perhaps this relationship between reduced volume and triple jump success is due to the demand that the event places on elasticity. I know that Walter always jumped best under lower training loads however they were never as reduced as what JE has in his log.

i agree, i think there is a fine line btw reduced volume and over kill.  some of kelly b stuff is too low vol – athletes need to train.

Participant
    flight05 on #19129

a lot of athletes like kellyb stuff b/c they dont have to train as much/long…lol

but i agree with mike with the reduced volume because of the high elasticity demands. i noticed when i reduced workload i seemed more explosive and less tired.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #19130

a lot of athletes like kellyb stuff b/c they dont have to train as much/long…lol

lol, i agree with you 100% about people not wanting to train. for as the reduced volume i think once the workload reduced you should perform better and feel less tired no matter if the event is elasticity or not.
    but i agree with mike with the reduced volume because of the high elasticity demands. i noticed when i reduced workload i seemed more explosive and less tired.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.