John Evans Training log

Posted In: Training Journals

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229735

Hey guys, my good friend Eric Broadbent has been encouraging me to start a training log, and since I have a lot of time over break, I thought I would start recording what I have been doing. I am currently training for the multi at NMU in the UP while completing my masters degree in Sport Science. I have a pretty  unfortunate list of injuries (FAI in my hip, 2 herniated discs, dislocated shoulders, etc…), but I try to work around them. I don’t have any short term goals, but long term I would like to score 7000 points. High school was the last time I competed, but Mike worked with me via correspondence my junior year. Senior year I had a lot of sciatic pain, and I decided I should stop training. After my internship at Athletic Lab, I decided I would start training again, and have been relatively consistent with weight room practices.

Stats:

Weight: 178 lbs
        Height: 6′
        30m: 4.18
        SLJ: 9′ 8
        VJ: 34″
        STJ: 27′ 10″
        PC: 107kg
        Deep Squat: 140 kg
        Bench: 200 lbs

My last track numbers are from 2011, but here are the bests:

High Jump: 6′ 4″ (2011)
        Long Jump: 20′ 4″ (2011)
        Triple Jump: 43′ 3″ (2010)
        400m: 51.1 (2010)

I have lots of things to work on, but I mostly want to stay healthy and keep progressing. I am currently coaching myself as a learning process, but feedback is always welcome. I’ll do my best to field all questions.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229736

Wednesday (12/16/15)

Weight Room:
        PC: 4×3 working sets (155, 165, 175, 175)
        Split Squat: 4×8 @ 65lb DB
        SA Row: 4×10 @ 55 lb DB
        NHS Curl: 3×5

Short warmup B
        Dynamic Flex
        Sprint Development: 2x20m
        PV: 6x 4 step pop-up pole push
        Fly: 3 x 25m run in w/ 10m fly
        SFS: 3 x 25, 20, 20

Not ideal to do the weight room first, but some friends convinced me to go earlier. The weight room I am working with is by no means perfect, but it will get the job done. The hardest part is that there are no bumper plates or olympic bars, but I have been very spoiled at NMU with the WL Olympic Training Center and the S&C weight room. Dislocated my shoulder cooling down a week ago, so pressing has been difficult, but my shoulder is feeling a lot better day by day.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229742

Thursday (12/17/2015)

Short WU B
        Dynamic Flex
        Sprint Development w/ lateral movements 5 or so by 40m
        Jump Circuit: 10-12 jumps 35 seconds on/off
        General Strength: pillar x 10, Marsellus x 10
        Body Building Circuits: B,D x 10-12 ea.
        PNF stretching for hip flexors and hamstrings

Session 2
        Shot put- Arm strike dribble, Glide footwork, and full glide throws x 15 throws

I am starting to feel pretty fatigued from the week (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing), but all in all not a bad day. I haven’t had much dedicated shot put practice, so today I just worked with my old high school coach with a 12lb shot. It feels extremely light, and I have a tendency to segment and muscle the throw. Not sure if this is because I lack some elastic properties in my core, but hopefully by the end of break I will start to get the hang of it. Ideally I would put this on Monday, but I am not summating forces well, so I don’t expect it was overly taxing. Jump circuit was a little more difficult than I had expected, but general strength was pretty chill.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229751

Friday (12/18/2015)

Row 5′
        Power Clean: 4 working sets- 2×3@205, 2×2@215

SWUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Sprint Development
        Acceleration Development: 7 x40m
        WR
        Deep Squat: 3×5 @ 245
        Speed Squat 3×3 @ 145
        Pull Up: 6×5
        DB carry: 3 x 20m ish @70 ea.

Was able to work at a buddies place today with the cleans which was really nice. I tend to come up on the toe on my cleans and have a hard time getting under the bar, so I have just been focusing on correcting those problems. Acceleration work felt pretty decent on the hill. Worked on dragging the toe, and keeping a toe up position on the first few pushes. I still feel a little bit choppy, so next time I do accel work I’m planning to focus on “Knee to chest”.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229754

Saturday (12/19/2015)

SWU
        Static Stretching
        Walking Stretches
        Sprint Development
        150, 200, 250, 150, 200 @85+% w/ 4- 4′ 30″ rest
        Ringo: 10x
        PNF stretching

Sunday (12/20/2015)
        OFF

It was really cold and definitely took some getting used to. I detrained a little over thanksgiving and needed a little mental refresher, so this was the first intensive tempo workout in a while. Definitely kicked my butt a little bit. Really working on getting more flexible in the hamstrings for hurdles and long jump, as they definitely limit my ability the most- more than speed at least.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229755

Monday (12/21/2015)

SHWU
        Dynamic Flex
        Hurdle Mob
        Sprint Dev w/ 10m sprint off
        Accelerations: 8x35m

Working Sets:
        PC: 2×3 @205, 2×2 @210, 1×3 @215
        Squat: 4×4@255, 260, 265, 265
        Bench Press: 4×7 Last 2 @145
        RDL: 3×4 w/ 4 sec pause @155

My accelerations were okay. I didn’t feel like I was reaching Max V at 35, but there was a big tail wind which could have been why I felt like I was still picking up speed. I kept thinking about being more violent on the subsequent step without holding my breath. Always working on keeping the arms long, dragging the toe, and not casting the foot out. Cleans felt okay. I started focusing on being more powerful instead of being super technically proficient, and my peak bar speed went up by about .35m/s (1.35-1.44 m/s). I was able to maintain these bar speeds as I went up to the heaviest sets. Not sure what that means, but I try to keep in mind that my goal is to run faster and jump higher, not be an olympic weightlifter.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229756

Tuesday (12/23/2015)

SHWU A
        Static Flex
        Hurdle Mob static (2×8)
        Extensive tempo: 10×35″ w/ a 1′ 35″ rest
        Extended: 40 sec on/off
        Animal walks: 15m ea.
        BB circuit: ACF x 35 seconds ea.

I felt really good coming into today, but that was probably because the weather was so nice. My extensive tempo went really well, as I hit about 200m+ every rep. Heart rate was around 150-160 BPM after each rep. Hurdle mobility and static stretching really loosened up my hips which was very much needed. My FAI symptoms are pretty much gone when get about 3 months into training which is great. Trying to really get more flexible, so addressing static stretching for me is super important. As I have said before, my guess is that my Jav, hurdles, and LJ are probably most limited by my flexibility more than anything else, so I am glad to be working on these problem areas.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by John EvansJohn Evans.
      • John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229758

Wednesday (12/23/2015)

SHWUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Sprint Dev:
        3 x 25m run in w/ 15m fly
        3x SFS (25, 25, 15)
        Discus powers x 10

Walked forever at the mall

Abbreviated day today as I had to get some Christmas prep done with my family. I was having a little bit of trouble maintaining mechanics at top end, as I was feeling a little bit toey on touch down. The rest was insufficient and I was really rushing, but I felt fast. I have some body building circuits, jump circuits, etc… today, so that should be interesting. HRV dropped to the lowest point in two weeks, which I am attributing to all of the walking and shopping stress from yesterday. I have a weird knot in my upper back, but my shoulder feels a lot better.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229759

Thursday (12/24/2015) *Christmas Eve*

Row 5′
        Dynamic Flex
        Bar Warmup
        PC: 6×2 (155, 175, 180, 180, 180)
        Squat: 2×6 @ 250
        Speed Squat: 4×3 @ 135
        NHS curl: 3×5
        Bench Press: 5×6; last 3 @ 150
        SA Row: 4×10 @ 60 lbs

Jump Circuit 40 seconds on/off

I decided to get my weight room in because I won’t be able to lift heavy friday with Christmas and yesterday I missed lifting with shopping. Tomorrow I will hit accelerations and some general strength/body weight work. Really, really fatigued from shopping and very irritable.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by John EvansJohn Evans.
      • John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229761

Friday (12/25/2015)
        SHWUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Sprint dev
        Hurdle Mob
        Hill sprint: 8x40m

Saturday (12/26/2015)
        SHWUA
        Walking Stretches
        Sprint Dev
        2 x(150,200, 250)
        WR circuits: BD x 12
        General Strength: Pillar x 12, Marsellus x 12, Ringo x 5 ish

Rough training through the holidays because of time constraints but I got the important work in.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229762

SHWUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Sprint Dev
        Hurdle Mob
        Accelerations: 7×40
        PC: 2×3 @ 215, 4×2 220,205,215,220
        Squat: Worked up to 4×3 @ 275, 280, 280, 285
        DJ 12″: 4×4
        Pull up: 3x1o
        Bench Press: 6×5 (135, 145, 155, 160, 160, 160)
        Pause RDL: 3×4 w/ 4 sec pause @ 185

Great day for my accelerations. I think I figured out why I have had a very difficult time accelerating, which through watching Altis sprint videos, Loren Seagrave, and some basic biomechanics analysis, I think I corrected. Basically I was bringing my knee too high, which caused me to have a high foot recovery, a lot of breaking, and a very low trajectory that I wasn’t fast enough to optimize. Correcting it just involved thinking about dragging the toe and basically not letting my knee come as high. Accelerations felt a lot better. Cleans were okay, but I missed on my second set of 220 so I jumped down and worked my way back up. Very, very happy with squats. That is the heaviest I have gone, and the last set I felt like I could have squeezed out 290 for sure. Bench is getting stronger after the shoulder injury too. Overall very pleased with today.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229763

Tuesday (12/29/2015)

SHWUA
        Dynamic Flex
        Hurdle Mob: static
        Sprint Dev:
        Extensive Tempo: 10×38″ about 220m w/ 1′ 45″- 2′ rest
        Extended:45 seconds on/off
        Body building circuits: ACF x 40 seconds
        Animal walks: 20m ea.
        PNF stretching

Starting to get pretty sore as I write this from the squats yesterday. Training tomorrow should be interesting. The extensive tempo was pretty difficult this time around, and didn’t feel nearly as good as last week. Mobility is starting to come a long a little which is promising. Body is starting to get a little bit trashed by this time in the game so hopefully I get some good sleep tonight.Unfortunately, Its been a little rough the past couple of weeks.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229779

SHWUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Sprint Dev
        Hurdle mob

Flys- 3x 30m run in w/ 15m fly
        SFS- 3x 25,20,30

PC: 7×2 @ (135, 155 , 175, 180, 180, 175, 175)
        Split Squat: 5×6 @ (65, 65, 70)
        SA Row: 5×8 @ (65, 65, 70)
        NHS: 3×5

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229784

Thursday (12/31/2015) NYE*

SHWUA
        Dynamic
        Sprint Dev
        Jump Circuit: 45 sec on/off
        BB circuit: BD x 14
        Marsellus: x14

Friday (1/1/2015)

SHWUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Sprint Dev
        Acc Development: 7 x 40
        Up hill bounding: 2×20

Holidays strike again. This time they are over with, which is nice, but I will back up at school in a week here. School should be interesting. I am a little nervous about heading back, but hopefully I can balance training and school again. Accelerations are starting to feel a lot better. My rhythm is increasing a little, and  I have been working on “step over the ankle, over the calf, over the knee”. Every acceleration step is a little bit different so it makes sense why people work on acceleration mechanics so much. To run really fast, you have to accelerate well. I will lift heavy today and hopefully get in some conditioning. If I don’t get in running, that would suck but at the least I will get my conditioning in. Next week is a down week.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229785

Saturday:

WR:
        Squat: 2×7 @ 255
        Deep Squat: 3×3 @ 135
        Pull Up: 7×5
        Weighted Push up: 6×5 70, 80, 80, 80, 90, 90

Conditioning:
        8x 180lb yolk walk 1′ on/off
        4x 25 sec max airdyne sprint

This was a little bit of a lead in to the recovery week, mostly because I really did not feel like sprinting in the cold and a friend offered to go to his local box. Was really excited about the push ups, and the airdyne sucked.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229786

Monday (1/4/16)

SWHUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Hurdle mob
        Sprint Dev.2x30m
        5x30m races

WR:
        Warm up
        Squat Max out: 3×2, 5×1 @ 135, 185, 225, 265, 285, 305, 320,
        max: 325
        Bench Press: 4×6 135, 155, 165, 175

Awesome day for testing squat. Very happy with my performance, as it is an 8kg PR. Hips are still sore, as is my low back.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229787

Tuesday: 1/5/16
        SHWU A
        Static Flex
        Sprint Development
        Wednesday: 1/6/16
        WR:
        PC: Work up to max- 135, 155, 175, 195, 205, 215, 225, 235, 245 (missed) 245 (make), 25o (missed)
        SA Row: 3×6 @ 70lbs
        Split squat: 3×6 ea. @ 155lbs
        Bench press: maxed at 205- 135, 155, 175, 185, 190, 195, 200, 205

SHWU B
        Dynamic Flex
        Sprint Devel
        Hurdle Mob: Dynamic 2×8
        2x 15m fly w/ 30m run in
        2x SFS 25, 25, 30

Tuesday was pretty much an off day, so that was refreshing. I have been really tight recently and I have been having a little bit of pain in my left leg with nerve pain and hip pain. Could be the laborum from squat maxing. Very happy with 245 PC, 205 BP, and 325 squat.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229809

Thursday: 1/7/16

SHWUA
        Static Flex
        Sprint Development
        8x 28 sec run w/70 sec rest
        15 contacts of jump circuits
        BB Circuit: FF x 6-8
        Ringo: 30 sec on/off

Friday: 1/8/2016

SHWUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Sprint Development
        5x40m hill sprint
        WR
        PC: 4×2 @ 200 for last 2
        Squat: 3×8 @ 225
        Pull up max: 20

Really great training this week. Overall, I am super pleased with how I did. Only down part was that I tweaked my hamstring on Wednesday and it was still bothering me Friday. This week has been a little hectic because I moved back into school, but I am excited to get going on my next week of training coming up here in a little bit. Still figuring out some KPIs as they relate to my performance, but hopefully that will come together. Curious to see what happened to my vertical while I trained over break, so I will be including verticals, RMSSDs, and maybe some power outputs on future logs.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229813

Monday (1/11/2016)

SHWUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Hurdle Mob Dynamic 2×8
        Sprint Development
        Acceleration Development: 6x25m
        Bounding: 2x25m
        Dunking (Two feet for fun): 15mins
        WR
        Powerclean: 6×3 last 3@95kg
        Clean DL: 2×3 @115kg
        Squat: 5×6 last 3@110kg
        BP: 4×6 last 3 @70kg
        KB swing: 2×10 @50lbs

Tuesday (1/12/2016)
        SHWB
        Static Flex
        Dynamic Flex
        Hurdle Mob Static
        Sprint Dev: Hatori 1x40m
        Extensive Tempo: 40 sec on w/ 1′ 20″ rest
        Ringo: 30sec on/off
        Squat walk series: 15m ea. except lateral
        BB circuit: KK x8
        Stiffness jumps in sand: 30 contacts 6 exercises

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229814

Wednesday (1/13/2016) RMSSD: 133.6, VJ: 35.5″, VL: 37″

SHWUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Hurdle Mob: Dynamic
        Sprint Dev: Bride: 2x20m
        Speed Endurance: 4xSFS (30,30,25)
        Plyometrics: 4x Box STL, Box Hurdle Hop
        Dunking: 15mins w/ 2k ball
        WR:
        Power Snatch: 3WU sets, 7×2 @ 62kg
        Lunge Jump: 4×6 @ 30lb DBs
        Weighted Pullup: 4×6 @ 15kgs
        HSPU: 3x 2-3

Very pleasantly surprised by the increase in my vertical leap. I just tested it out of curiosity, and it went up a few inches. Could be due to a variety of things, but I’m guessing it is because of the increase in my max back squat and PC. Overall, I’m pretty sore, but excited to continue the training process.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229815

Thursday (1/14/2016) RMSSD: 143, VJ: 33″ VL: 34″

SHWUB
        Static Flex
        Hurdle Mob backwards: 2×8
        Sprint Development: Lateral movements 2x20m
        MB circuit: Pip x 15ea.
        WR circuit: ABCD x 15ea
        Extended: 30 sec ea.

My body is hurting pretty good this morning, even after essentially a down day yesterday. Luckily I don’t have much planned in the way of school, so I can hang out and train a little bit later. Still really enjoying the training process and looking forward to continuing. I think today I might work on some hurdling if my body is up for it. It will probably be ugly, but I have to start somewhere. Also, I have concluded that my hips definitely don’t track normally due to the way that the femur is tracking inside of the acetabulum, and I am leaking a lot of power. Instead of complaining about this, I am going to maximize my ability by sprinting with more external rotation of the of the foot. Not ideal at all, but my foot rotates prior to pushing forward and I am waisting time in my start. I also don’t think my arm splits are ideal, but they splay out to the sides to help me balance during the start (because of my hips).

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229816

Friday (1/15/2016) RMSSD: 118, VJ: 34.5″ VL: 36″

SHWUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Sprint Development: Pai mei 2×8
        Acceleration Development: 6x30m
        Bounding: RRR…, LLL…, RRLL, RLRL, RRR, LLL (30 yards ea.)
        PC: work up to 3×1 @ 98kg
        Squat: 5×2 @ 118kg
        Speed Bench Press: 4×3 @ 75kg
        Hip Lift: 3×8 work up to 12okg

Achilles and hips were bothering me a little bit today, but training went relatively well overall. I felt really crappy coming into today’s training because I was running on really slow turf, but I was surprisingly powerful considering it was Friday. Would have liked to work on hurdles, but couldn’t get access to hurdles.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229818

Saturday (1/17/2016)

SHWUA
        Dynamic Flex
        Sprint Development
        2×300 w/ 7′ rest
        Full Recovery
        <span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>3×150 w/5′ rest

Probably one of the worst workouts I have done in a long time. I had to take full recovery at the 300s because I was about to vomit and my hamstrings were on fire. I ran the 300s on slow turf in around 38 and 40 seconds. I had to take full rest before I started the 15os, because I didn’t want to cut the workout off. I needed the speed work, but I obviously didn’t get the benefit of high lactate tolerance the entire time. </span>

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229838

Monday (1/18/2016)

SHWUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Spint Development: 2x 30m: Pai mei
        Acc. Dev: 3x3x30m with 1 min between reps and 5 minutes between sets
        Alt Bounding: 4x30m
        WR:
        PC: 7×2; last 4 sets @ 100kg
        Squat: 5×5; last 3 sets @ 265lbs
        1/4 rhythm squats: 2×5 @ 335lbs
        Bench: 5×5; last 3 sets @ 165lbs
        KB Swing: 3×10 @ 55lbs, 60lbs.
        SLJ: x5

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229847

Wanted to include my vertical leaps and HRV scores the past couple of days:
        Saturday- VJ: 35.5″ VL: 36.5″ RMSSD: 163.4
        Sunday- RMSSD: 87
        Monday: RMSSD: 141.6, VJ: 35″, 37″
        Tuesday: RMSSD: 96.7, VJ: 33″, VL: 34″

SHWUA
        Static Flex: 30 sec ea.
        Sprint Development: Hatori 2×8
        Hurdle Mob: Static backwards 2×8
        Extensive Tempo: 8x 45 seconds w/ 1′ 40″ rest
        Ringo: 35 sec on/off
        Animal Walks: 18m
        BB circuit: KK x10
        Jump circuit in sand: Stiff Avi x 25 seconds ea.

Still really trying to develop my fitness levels on these days. Very interesting to see my power output and HRV drop considerably from Monday. Monday was definitely a difficult day in regards to speed and strength development, as the 4×2 cleans at 100kg with the accumulated heavy clean pulls and squats were killer. Today the back of my knees were killing me, which is probably indicating the popliteus is inflamed or just super sore. This could be because I was trying to direct my pushes backwards more instead of rotationally. It could have also been from the cleans, because I have been known to have a little bit of pain when I clean from the double knee bend (and rotation associated with my hip anatomy).

Today I saw a video of Trayvon Brommell accelerating, and it was really incredible. One thing I see with elite sprinters, like trayvon brommell and Andre DeGrasse, is that they appear to allow a lot of elbow bend. Not really sure why, but its obvious when you look at the back stroke of the upper body during acceleration. I’m not saying the arms are everything, but there definitely seems to be a lot of guys who have crazy fast acceleration doing this.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229873

(Wednesday) 1/21/2016; VJ: 35″ VL:35.5″ RMSSD:150.1

SHWUB
        Dynamic Flex: Cole or Merril x 10
        Sprint Development: Bride 2x25m
        Speed Endurance: SFS 4x 30m, 30m, 30m
        Plyos: 4x Box SLJ, Box Hurdle Hop; 2x Box Box Hurdle Hop, 2x Box Box SLJ
        WR:
        Snatch: 8×2, Last 5 @ 66 kg
        Weighted Pullup: 5×5 Last 3 @ 17.5 kg weight
        Lunge Jumps: 3×5 ea. @ 30 lbs DBs

Yesterday was very taxing. I didn’t feel great going into the workout, but after I warmed up I felt a little bit better. For the Sprint Float Sprints, I tried using some music as a stimulus to increase intensity, which definitely helped throughout the workout. It usually doesn’t help in my weightlifting, but for jumping and sprinting it does wonders. I kept getting lightheaded on the snatches, but I didn’t miss any lifts which was good. I get to travel this weekend with the team to a meet in Saginaw, so training should be interesting, but I think I am going to move my Friday lift to Saturday. I still want to get my squatting in, as that is a major goal of mine this training cycle. After this cycle, I plan to shift to an increased eccentric focus to increase my specific strength qualities. Plus, I know a bigger squat will help my power clean this cycle.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229918

Thursday: 1/22/2016 RMSSD: 98.5 No jumps because of time constraints
        SHWUA
        Static Flex
        Hurdle Mob Static Backwards
        Sprint Development
        BB Circuit: ABCDx15 light
        Extended: 30 ea
        MB circuit: Pip x 15 w/16lb dynamax ball

Friday: Traveled to track meet and met Damian Warner… That was pretty cool
        RMSSD: 178 – probably because of the anticipatory response
        SWUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Sprint Development
        Acceleration: 7×30-35m
        Bounding and Hopping: 2x35m RRLL, RLRL ea.

Saturday: RMSSD: 118
        Barbell warmup
        PC: singles @ 70 kg, 90kg, 100kg, 105kg, 106kg, 107kg, 110kg, 112kg (PR) 115kg (miss), 115kg (miss).
        Squat: 5×2 @ 12o, 4 sets at 125kg
        Bench Press: 4×3 @ 80kg
        Hip Lift: 3×6 @ 130kg

Sprint: 2×40 second suicide, 1x 30 second, 2×20 seconds

A lot to update on, but meeting Damian Warner was pretty cool. Definitely acted super unprofessional, but no one knew who he was until I told them that he went to the olympics and was the number two decathlete in the world. As Mike said, I look like a 5 year old meeting santa at the mall for the first time. As for training, very happy with an expected PR in powerclean. I was feeling good and doing single anyways, so I just went for it. I traveled with the NMU women’s team this weekend, so that is how I managed to meet Warner, and had to shift lifting to Sunday. Wish I could have had a true Special Endurance day, but the runs on the court were still pretty difficult. A lot more accelerating than expected. HRVs are really off because I get ancy when I take them, so I might start taking them standing after I go to the bathroom or something. Reason for the PR in clean is probably because I gorged on carbs this week during travel, and it offset the travel stress a lot. Could have also been a little neural priming from the sprints the day before and I didn’t sprint prior to power cleaning.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229919

Monday: HRV- 107.6 VJ-35.5″  VL-37.5″
        Tuesday: HRV- 175.8 VJ- 36″  VL-37″
        Wednesday: HRV- 84.4- VJ-34″  VL-35.5″

Monday:
        SHWUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Hurdle Mob: 2×8 dynamic
        Sprint Development: Pai Mei 2x25m
        Block Starts: 1 hr: positioning, tape drill, build ups, posture
        Alt. Bounding for length/speed: 4x30m
        WR:
        warm up and then Powerclean 8×1 @ 105kg
        Clean Deadlifts: 2×3 @ 130kg
        Squat: 5×4; last 3 @ 280lbs
        Bench: 5×4; last 3 @ 175
        KB: 3×10 @ 60lbs
        SLJ: x10

Really happy with the 8 singles in clean. My tape drill was individualized to my stride length. I ended up being 4.5ft, 5ft, 5.5ft, 6ft for the first stride. I noticed that pushing my hips over my front foot increased the preload in my hips and allowed me to post much higher with correct posture. I hit all the tape marks if I posted high. I have some assymetry in my left leg, and I usually loose some power (probably due to nerve damage from herniated discs) but if I focus on it, it usually cleans it self up.

Tuesday:
        SHWUA
        Static Flex for 30 seconds
        Hurdle mob: static 2×8 backwards
        Sprint development: Hatori 1x20m
        Extensive Tempo: 9×50 sec run w/ 1′ 45″ rest
        Ringo: 40 sec on/ 30 sec off
        Animal walks: 20m ea.
        Body Building Circuit: KK x 12ea. @ 60 lbs.
        Stiffness jumps in sand: 6 types by 40 contacts

I killed the extensive tempo Tuesday, which was sweet. I started to cramp a lot because I didn’t have time to eat and I think fatigue had begun to really accumulate, but nonetheless a very good workout. The KB complex absolutely killed me. My left pec hurt pretty bad after the squats on the left side just from supporting the weight.

Wednesday:
        SHWUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Hurdle Mob: 2×8
        Sprint Development: 2×20 Merrill
        Max V/Speed Endurance: 4x SFS (30m, 25m, 35m)
        BrickTop: 32″+36″, 4 contacts ea. (Box-SLJ, Box-Hurdle, Box-box-SLJ, box-box-Hurdle Hop
        High Jump Approach Work: 6-8 x Full Approach Jumps
        WR:
        Snatch: 10×1 @ 70kg
        Weighted Pull up: 4×4 @ 20kg
        Lunge Jumps: 4×4 ea. @ 25lbs.

Today was a little rough because I just felt so fatigued mentally and physically from the past couple of days. I am starting to feel a lot better, but for a little while there I felt like the stress of teaching, coaching, training, classes, and regular adult life was a little much. I think I just wasn’t eating enough. High jump was fun, haha.

I am competing Saturday at the meet at NMU in the 400, HJ, and the 60. I am a little nervous, because I don’t want to be discouraged by my times, but I think it is something that is necessary to know where I am at.

My goals:
        -High post start, with full extension in acceleration (no choppiness)
        -Clean top end mechanics, emphasizing vertical pushes and posture
        -HJ I would like to have an exagerated lean, tall before entering the curve, and trying not to accelerate in the curve
        -400, I just want to finish the race without vomiting.

That’s it. I don’t want any time standards or goals, because I need to stay motivated to keep training.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229925

Thursday: HRV: 157.9, VJ: 33.5″, VL: 36″

SHWUA
        Static Flex B
        Hurdle Mob Backwards: 2×8
        Sprint Development: Bill 2x20m
        MB circuit: PIP 14lb. ball x 15ea.
        BB Circuit: CD x 15ea.

With my vertical being super low, high soreness and low irritability, and the HRV being abnormally high, I believe I am pretty fatigued. That being said, I dropped volume from last week, especially with the meet this Saturday. Hopefully I can recover before Saturday, but if not, I still see the meet as training. Going to do some pre-meet type stuff today.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229926

Friday: HRV 158.8- VJ 33.5″, VL 35.5″
        Saturday: HRV 267.8 <—- What?! VJ 34″, VL 36″

Friday:
        SHUWB
        Dynamic Flex
        Sprint Development
        Hurdle Hops: 6×4
        Ringo: x8

Saturday: MEET
        Shake out in the AM, Run, dynamic flex, and build ups, rolled out

Warmed up for HJ
        SWUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Sprint Development
        Hurdle mob
        HJ: 1.76, 1.82, 1.88, 1.91, missed 1.94
        55m: 6.92 <– Not sure if this was accurate because I got second in my heat and they said I got third based on times?
        400m: 53.0

I am really happy with how everything went today. I feel really crappy now, but I loved getting out there and competing again

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229933

Monday: RMSSD: Lying-152, VL/VJ: 33/34
        Tuesday: RMSSD: Lying-146, Standing- 63.1
        Wednesday:RMSSD: Lying-206, Standing-94.7 VJ/VL: 32.5/34

Monday: 2/1/2016
        SHWUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Sprint Development
        Sprint tape drills- to tolerance
        PC: Work up to 95kg
        Clean DL: 3×2 @ 125kg
        Squat: Work up to 125kg

Tuesday: Off

Wednesday: 2/3/2016
        PC Max: hit 108kg
        Jumps
        Shot Put

So pretty much after the meet, I am still feeling pretty crappy. I have some patellar tendinitis, dealing with a sinus infection at the moment with anti-biotics, mucinex, and some antihistamine. I think that the meds have something to do with the big drop in vertical and low power outputs, but I think it has more to do with the competition last week. The stress of that meet flared up my ankles, knees, and hips a lot. It was a super stiff surface.

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229943

Thursday: Off
        Friday:
        SHWUB
        Dynamic
        Sprint Buildups to tolerance
        Squat estimated max: 325lbs

Saturday:
        traveled

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229945

Okay, so my down week is over and I started another training cycle. This time I am focusing more on fast eccentric strength, while maintaining max strength through faster bar velocities and a few heavier hip movements. I think my max strength was pretty close to as high as its going to get this year, so I really want to focus on other aspects of training.

RMSSD: 111 lying, 77 standing
        Mb toss peak power: 2600ish (14lbs dynamax)

Monday:
        SHWUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Hurdle Mob/ Pelvic Mob
        Shot Put: 20 power throws
        Hurdles to tolerance: Well… That was aweful
        Sprints: 3x3x35, 1 long accel
        WR:
        CM Hang Cleans: 2×3@ 90kg, 1×2@ 90kg, 3×2 @ 90 kg
        Drop Squats: 4×5 @ 155
        Hurdle Hops: 3×5
        Speed Incline DB Press: 4×6 @4o, 45, 55 lbs
        Speed Pullup: 4×4
        Hip Lift: 4×4 @ 140kg
        Morpheus: x3 (This is just OHB, BTLF, etc…)

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by John EvansJohn Evans.
      • John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229949

Mb throw: 2446 w
        RMSSD: Lying 126, standing 36

SHUWA
        Dynamic Flex
        Hurdle Mob
        10-15 short approach LJ (6 step)
        Hurdle dribbles
        Clean complex: 7x Pull to knee, pull to above the knee, PC, FS, Jerk @ 65kg
        GS circuit for time: 4′ 30″

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229951

Didn’t train as much as I would like last week because I was still banged up from the meet and last cycle, but I am going to restart this cycle this week and progress for another 2-3 weeks depending on how I feel.

No monitoring because I needed a mental break with life being so busy.

Monday: 2/15/16
        SHWUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Sprint Dev
        Hurdle Mob
        3x3x35 (long acceleration)- walk back recovery, 4′ between sets
        Shot put: hit a few 30ft throws from a power
        CM Hang Clean: 2×3 @ 90kg, 3×2 @ 95kg, 1×2 @ 100kg
        Lots of misses in there, sadly
        Super set:
        Drop Squat: 5×4 @ 70kg
        Hurdle Hops: 4×5
        Superset:
        Speed incline: 45, 55, 65
        Speed Pull up: 4×4 (chest to bar strict)
        Superset:
        Hip Lift: 4×4@ 150kg
        Morpheus: x2

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229953

EDIT: Monitoring will be back tomorrow

Tuesday:
        SHWUA
        Dynamic Flex
        Sprint development
        Ringo x 8 ea.
        SA jumps 7 steps: x 8-12
        Complex x 7 w/ 1′ rest @ 155: Pull to knee, Pull to hip, Clean, Hang clean, Front Squat, Jerk
        Yolanda x 1o for time

• John Evans
        Participant
        John Evans on #229981

Still not in a good routine with training facilities but I did my best to work around things. Not going to update the past week, but here is Monday through today (wednesday).

2/22/2016-2/24/2016

SHWUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Sprint Development
        Hurdle Mob
        Shot put
        Acceleration development: 3x3x40m
        Hang clean: 1×2 @ 80kg, 1×2 @90kg, 1×2 @ 95kg, 2×2 @ 100 kg, 2×2 @ 95kg
        Drop Squat: 5×4 @ 165
        Hurdle Hop: 5×4
        Neutral grip 1/2 Bubka: 4×4
        Speed Incline DB Press: 4×4 @ 55, 55, 65, 70
        Hip Lift: 4×4 @ 160kg
        MB throw: 2x morpheus

WL Warmup
        Complex @ 155 till miss on the jerk failure with 1- 1′ 30″ rest
        Pull to knee, pull to hip, Power clean, Hang clean, Front squat, Jerk
        Track warm up
        Dynamic Flex
        sprint development
        SA LJ x 8

SHWUB
        Dynamic Flex
        Sprint Development
        Hurdle Mob
        6 x Full approach Long Jump (18 step)
        4x 30m acceleration, with 20m fly
        WR:
        Hang CM Snatch: Work up to 70kg, 4×2 @ 70kg
        Step up: 5×2+2 @ 110, 140, 160kg
        Weighted Pull up: 4×3 @ 25kg
        Speed Bench Press: 4×4@ 70kg, 75kg
        Drop TRDL: 4 x 4 ea. @ 50 lbs.
        stiffness jumps: 4×5

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.