Jeremy Wariner LOSES?

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #14620

Amidst all the hype surrounding Usain Bolt’s 100m world record, many overlooked a result from this past weekend that is perhaps just as, if not more, surprising. Jeremy Wariner LOST. I didn’t think he could do that. The man’s been a machine for the past 4 years. In fact, I think the last race he lost was in 2005 (not including one in which he DNF’d). His time was still great: 44.07 but he didn

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #70173

I’m not worried about Wariner’s progression so far this season. Last year at this time he was running consistent mid 44’s with one race in the low 44’s and he seems to be on the same path this year.

I think Merritt has the best shot at beating Wariner at the Olympics but I have to give the edge to the guy who hasn’t lost when it counted… pretty much ever.

Participant
    azz88 on #70176

thats is true that hes there abouts at the same compared to last year at this point- but look at what he acheived last season compared to the season before. he finished the season with way more consistantly great time last year which means he has obviously grown into a better running going into this season compared to last. although i’d still put my money on him for the olympics at this stage but i personaly wouldn’t be too shocked if he doesn’t win and i think this recent loss was due to the coach swap- even tho it was still a great time

Also well done to merritt on a awesome time aswel- anyone know what his PB is?

Participant
    winnesota on #70178

I think theres a couple things that make his 2nd place insignificant:

1. Its the first time this season (I believe) he purposely focused on running the first 200m hard, unlike his last race when he took it out easy.

2. Its only 1 time in 2-3 years he has finished 2nd.

3. It wasnt a bad time by any means.

4. It actually looked like he could have won if he wanted. It looked like he decided to shut it down for second and then realized “uh oh I dont want to get 2nd” and then fired the engines one last time a little too late.

5. The US 4×400 is gonna rock.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #70179

dont think he could have won “if he wanted” at all…that dude ran hard…

anyway, Merrit looks really big and bulky, did he always look like that…

Participant
    Owen on #70180

Yea wouldn’t think he could have won if he wanted to. He is a real competitor and would never settle for 2nd.

Looking at the race it does look like he just put too much into that first 120m. Looks like even for Jeremy Wariner having your main competitor inside you can slightly affect how you want to run the race.

Participant
    Chad Williams on #70187

I watched that race numerous times and kudos to Merritt. It is great that someone else is stepping into the forefront of the 400m and giving Wariner a challenge. Jeremy is still the top contender but Merritt is going to make for an interesting final in Beijing.

This is an exciting time for track and field and who knows what the summer will bring. The anticipation is killing me. I feel like I am 9 and Christmas is coming up.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #70188

I definitely don’t think he could have won. He looked uncharacteristically vulnerable in the homestretch. Plus I think lane selection may have given a slight advantage to Wariner. That doesn’t take anything away from Merritt though, who’s been close in the past but hasnt been able to seal the deal. Both obviously ran very fast times. I think the time alone doesn’t indicate anything other than both are in great shape. The only thing which I could say is slightly alarming is that he lost. IMO, it looks like both have gotten better but Merritt has gotten better MORE. I know over the past couple years he’s been trimming his average margin of defeat to Wariner to where it was under 0.5 seconds last year. For him to finally beat Wariner means that something is going very well. It’s also important to note that Merritt is 2 years younger than Wariner and is actually about equal at the same age as Wariner.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    W.E. Price on #70191

The discussion between Wariner and Ford after that race must’ve been quite interesting. I guess this is where both will need to step up,if business as usual is not enough.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #70263

Wariner won the 400m in Bislett today in 43.98. Maybe he’s ok 😉

ELITETRACK Founder

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #70264

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq4xT7FLi44

ELITETRACK Founder

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #70323

Merritt ran an unchallenged 44.6x yesterday at Pre. Seems like Merritt clearly ‘got up’ for Merritt and Merritt clearly wanted to throw something down to silence the doubters in Bislett.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Chad Williams on #70324

He was also quoted as saying he felt some cramping in his calf out of the blocks so he tuned it back a bit at the start.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #70364

He was also quoted as saying he felt some cramping in his calf out of the blocks so he tuned it back a bit at the start.

Was this Wariner or Merritt? And before which race?

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Chad Williams on #70370

Merritt and it was during his 400 race.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.