Is Sprinting Frequency or Length Reliant?

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #17164

I saw this and thought it might be of interest to ELITETRACK members:Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010 Oct 26. [Epub ahead of print]Elite Sprinting: Are Athletes Individually Step Frequency or Step Length Reliant?Salo AI, Bezodis IN, Batterham AM, Kerwin DG.AbstractPURPOSE: The aim of this study was to investigate the step characteristics amongst the very best 100 m sprinters in the world in order to und

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Craig Pickering on #103630

Salo was one of my lecturers on my degree course, and does a lot of work with the GB 4x100m relay team. He has been talking about getting this study published for ages – I saw rough results for this is 2007, so good to see it finally get published

Participant
    Matt Norquist on #103634

Interesting to see it studied. To really answer the research question that was posed, though – wouldn’t you have to look at whether the same athletes ran faster when taking quicker strides, or faster when taking longer strides?

Seems like there are a lot of other variables (Time of year, What the competition was like, weather, etc) as well. I can only think of a few sub 10 guys (Montgomery is the only one immediately coming to mind) that took as many as 50 strides over 100m – and most of the sub 10 guys are down nearer 43-45.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #103635

I’ve played around with it a few times when i’ve been testing fly 30m’s or something like that with gates. One run i’ll have very frequency and the other i’ll have long strides and the log stride run always produces the faster time for me at least.

Participant
    Craig Pickering on #103637

Interesting to see it studied. To really answer the research question that was posed, though – wouldn’t you have to look at whether the same athletes ran faster when taking quicker strides, or faster when taking longer strides?

Seems like there are a lot of other variables (Time of year, What the competition was like, weather, etc) as well. I can only think of a few sub 10 guys (Montgomery is the only one immediately coming to mind) that took as many as 50 strides over 100m – and most of the sub 10 guys are down nearer 43-45.

That is what they studied! Or at least, thats the data that I saw.

You are right though, it would be subject to a great majority of environmental factors.

Participant
    Mccabe on #103665

Bezodis lectures at my university and I think Kerwin is based there to. Very interesting findings.

Participant
    Avi S. on #103682

I’ve found that my training on a single day can influence my SR or SL the following two days Due to neural activation. If I do strength, I feel like taking longer strides, bounds for examples, and faster strides result. So I can’t really know what type I am.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.