Intermittent fasting for dummies

Participant
    Matt Morsia on #104422

oh ok that makes sense. what about the long term effects? i.e. i think that one of the benefits of the frequent/small meals theory is that it permanantly increases your metablism so that if you eat differently for a while you body will continue to burn calories at an increased rate. presumably when you stop IF your metabolism will go back to how it was? or are there any permanent effects on metabolism?

Participant
    Avi S. on #104428

I don’t know anything about long term effects. maybe you’ll get very used to it and your mitochondria’s ability to burn fat will improve, similar to low carbing. Here’s a great post on it
    https://healthcorrelator.blogspot.com/2010/05/intermittent-fasting-as-form-of.html

Participant
    Alex Andre on #108060

Brooke: I’ve found that my morning workouts become much more intense when fasting. So you could switch a few of your workouts to the mornings when you fast, probably 4 hours after you wake up when you’re getting really hungry.

I don’t see making the workout “more intense” by fasting as a benefit. Many people (Brooke and I included) have speed sessions at the track in the morning, and then heavy weight room sessions later in the day. Speed sessions are all about getting the most out of each rep, which (for me, at least) requires that I have had a meal 3-4 hours before the session. I have tried running on an empty stomach in the morning and I am unequivocally slower, which kind of defeats the purpose of the speed session. A typical speed day for me looks like:

9 AM – Light breakfast (Whey shake, 2 pieces of fruit, nuts/granola bar)
    12-2 PM – Track session
    2-3 PM – Lunch
    5-7 PM – Weight room
    7-8 PM – Dinner

Does 8PM – 9AM count as “fasting”? I don’t see any other way to get through speed days without limiting my workouts because I’m not fueled for them.

Participant
    Avi S. on #108178

[quote author="Avi S." date="1293348055"]Brooke: I’ve found that my morning workouts become much more intense when fasting. So you could switch a few of your workouts to the mornings when you fast, probably 4 hours after you wake up when you’re getting really hungry.

I don’t see making the workout “more intense” by fasting as a benefit. Many people (Brooke and I included) have speed sessions at the track in the morning, and then heavy weight room sessions later in the day. Speed sessions are all about getting the most out of each rep, which (for me, at least) requires that I have had a meal 3-4 hours before the session. I have tried running on an empty stomach in the morning and I am unequivocally slower, which kind of defeats the purpose of the speed session. A typical speed day for me looks like:

9 AM – Light breakfast (Whey shake, 2 pieces of fruit, nuts/granola bar)
    12-2 PM – Track session
    2-3 PM – Lunch
    5-7 PM – Weight room
    7-8 PM – Dinner

Does 8PM – 9AM count as “fasting”? I don’t see any other way to get through speed days without limiting my workouts because I’m not fueled for them.[/quote]

Ok well what I’ve noticed (I have still been fasting almost daily), is that my body gets better at freeing up energy reserves in the lack of them. Above in my post I said I didn’t know much about long term effects but that same blogger had an interesting post about long term compensatory adaptation regarding IF and strength training:

https://healthcorrelator.blogspot.com/2011/05/strength-training-plus-fasting.html

From my limited anecdotal evidence, my body is so used to going without food that I have plenty of energy, especially brain fuel, when fasting. It can be stressful to the body so perhaps on rest days I’d try getting used to it then see if you can carry it over to training days.

I also take back what I said abotu having energy in the morning. Most of my workouts are around 6 PM and my my body ca do a lot of intense activity then during a fast

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.