Information Mastery: Indirect Questioning, Response, and Feedback

Posted In: Blog Discussion

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #15690

Sometimes I have been accused of being mean and rude on this board. I have also been accused of being informative as well. What sometimes is misconstrued as mean is really an attempt for more information from a known set of information data. Rather than try to pry and cipher through a set of questions designed to funnel down what we believe in a rather direct approach. You indirectly address

Continue reading…

Participant
    The Muse on #82729

Instincts to evaluate the mind-set of those athletes that shield their emotions is in the experienced I found. Coaches must allow the athletes to feel comfortable in their presents. From my independent studies as an athlete the great ones I studied under, mingled with the team, allowed us to speak our minds, air our gripes and make suggestions with regular, informal meetings. Thus allowing them to understand what moves us.

Participant
    ex400 on #82730

Amen to that, Muse. I (male) coach HS girls and find that most are extremely open if you demonstrate that you trust them and they can trust you.

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #82735

Very true that loyalty, honesty, and openness mean a lot. No matter how open you are or your athletes are, there comes a time when the communication isn’t there. On the other hand on a forum like this, its hard to know if someone will be evasive or not or if your questions are relevant. Just like your first couple of weeks with an athlete. It’s a tool in the communication toolbox.

As for the Muse’s comments, the openness that he is directly talking about is another indirect method.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.