Increased Hip Height=Greater Airtime=FASTER TIMES?

Posted In: The Classics

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #71875

I run everything from the 55 through the 400, with the 200 being my preferred race. I do the majority of my speed work in the offseason because inseason is spent mostly prepping for the high load done at the conference meet (up to 6 races in 2 days. Two 55’s, three 200’s and a 400) and speed work is done about once a week, up to twice a week late in the season.

Basically I was wondering if I would be able to do the drills to increase the amount of foot contacts per session without burning out or losing quality, so at the end of the macro I would have done X amount more speed work than say by doing flying 20’s alone.

It was a long shot, but hey it popped in my mind and I figured I’d ask.

Participant
    mortac8 on #71876

I run everything from the 55 through the 400, with the 200 being my preferred race. I do the majority of my speed work in the offseason because inseason is spent mostly prepping for the high load done at the conference meet (up to 6 races in 2 days. Two 55’s, three 200’s and a 400) and speed work is done about once a week, up to twice a week late in the season.

Basically I was wondering if I would be able to do the drills to increase the amount of foot contacts per session without burning out or losing quality, so at the end of the macro I would have done X amount more speed work than say by doing flying 20’s alone.

It was a long shot, but hey it popped in my mind and I figured I’d ask.

I am aware. If I were you I would be most concerned about not getting sick or injured. It is unfortunate that you have to spend so much time prepping for running too many events at the conference meet. Sadly this is often the case. I’d rather see you run 10.50 than successfully run 4-5 events but most people(coaches) are worried about squeezing out points rather than ultimate performance.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #71877

I’ve found that you can substitute well for acceleration work and for tempo work but anything in between (maxV and speed endurance) is MUCH harder to find an acceptable substitute. You really just gotta do it if you want to get better.

The reason I asked which event is because if you were a short sprinter, which you are, then I don’t think you should look at the build up to maxV as being inefficient or a waste of energy. In fact, I think 60m-80m sprints are often the glue that solidifies performance for short sprinters. It touches on all the elements you would in a competition (acceleration, maxV, short speed endurance) and although you can’t do too much of it it’s very important to look at the big picture and not focus on one element because in the grand scheme of things all of those components are dependent on each other.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #71878

Mort- Yeah, it isn’t the most ideal situation but the sprinters on our team score roughly 75% of our points with the rest coming from the field, so the head coach puts a lot of pressure on the sprint coach to make us perform well in everything possible. At least my sprint coach realizes its not ideal either, but there isn’t a lot that can be done with our small team (which thankfully added some more talent this year).

Mike- Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.