Hypertrophy

Posted In: The Classics

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #22636

I have my guys lift pretty heavy throughout the indoor season. Actually, by most standards they are lifting heavy throughout most of the outdoor season.

ELITETRACK Founder

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #72709

Wanted to bring this thread back from the dead. 2 of my emerging elites have put on 6+ lbs over the last 6 weeks. Both expressed concern but I assured them that it was nothing to worry about at this time of the year and that things would drop considerably once we stop doing the moderate load moderate rep range weight room work (ie- 6 x 6 or 4 x 8), dropping some of the weight circuit activity, and most importantly adding speed and / or special endurance work.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    mortac8 on #72731

I have had trouble with some athletes’ body weight in the past (getting heavy). In fact right now I am struggling to keep weight on. I am traditionally ~195 but I’m hovering around 185-190 now. Maybe my protein oatmeal has tapeworm in it.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #72734

well for me, training wise, im sure it because of the aux lifts we do, db press, incline, rows etc…becasue my upper back has def got thicker, and a couple of shirts (that we small anyway) cant button up anymore because my chest has got bigger too!….still, as long as i look nothing like Harry Aikines-Aryeetey ill be fine.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #72744

well for me, training wise, im sure it because of the aux lifts we do, db press, incline, rows etc…becasue my upper back has def got thicker, and a couple of shirts (that we small anyway) cant button up anymore because my chest has got bigger too!….still, as long as i look nothing like Harry Aikines-Aryeetey ill be fine.

Don’t think you’ll have to worry about that. The aux lifts will drop in rep ranges and the bodybuilding volumes will drop which when combined with getting off creatine and adding longer speed work should equal pretty significant weight loss while still maintaining or improving strength levels.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    rudeboy on #76459

Sorry I didn't clear that up, Mike. Here's the breakdown…

Monday – Cleans, Squats, RDL's, Lunges, Core

Tuesday – DB Swings, Bench w/Rows, Standing Military w/Chins, Arm Combo 1, Core

Thursday – Hang Cleans, Front Squats, Good Mornings, Lunges, Core

Friday – DB Swings, Incline Bench w/DB Rows, Push Ups w/Pulldowns, Arm Combo 2, Core

Arm Combo 1 – Upright Rows, Straight Bar Curls, Overhead Triceps Extension

Arm Combo 2 – Bent-Over Upright Rows (hits posterior deltoid), EZ Bar Curls, Eye Press

you planned to force or hypertrophy?
    or a mix according to their periods?

because if hypertrophy, reps of 3 would not be very appropriate.

reports the rest of the series you chose

Participant
    Avi S (tkxii) on #78411

https://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?rm=mode3&articleid=269
    i posed this on the dunkers thread too, but this is important, i really cant decide if gaining weight is a good idea or not. i looked at maurice greene’s schedule, he trains like a damn bodybuilder!
    https://www.xtremegym.com.au/forums/upload/showthread.php?t=1046

and shawn crawford, if i spelled that right, is huge, but still pretty fast, asafa is big, and fast, but bolt is skinnier, and the UF guys have some mass for their size and run very fast. form my perspective, i view mass as being beneficial, b/c its harder to slow down a heavy mass than a slow mass, once it gets going. but i don’t want to train that way,

Participant
    premium on #87217

I’m trying to periodize my weights for the upcoming season and this thread has been very helpful. I have taken some of the lifts from 400studs program ( i was already doing most of them plus more though). Difference is i do 2 fullbody days year round. So it would be like this.

Monday/Weds – LowerBody- Cleans,Squats, RDL’s –>Lunges –>Step-Ups–> RDL’s (changes every 3-6 weeks), Core
    UpperBody-Bench, Rows, chinups/pullups

For hypertrophy i wanted to do the density training mentioned in this thread for squats and bench and the other exercises would just be 70%–>85% with 3-4×6-12

I was thinking of doing a 3-1 set up and do mostly body weights during the unloading week would that be a good idea or should i unload regularly by dropping volume and intensity.

Participant
    davan on #87225

I wouldn’t switch out lunges and RDLs like that, personally. I don’t know anybody who does RDLs correctly and doesn’t get a good amount of soreness the first couple weeks doing them, at least, often longer. If you are switching them up fairly frequently, you will get this often. The same goes for lunges (especially if you are going hard), but not to the same degree. I never spent a lot of time with step-ups, so I cannot comment on those.

I like density work and I do it regularly, but I wouldn’t do it for more than probably 1 exercise in a given workout. Other people may have had different experiences, but I couldn’t tolerate that on top of track work.

I prefer to go by feel on unloading weeks, but I would not just do bodyweight movements as, again, you will slightly detrain those movement patterns and, when it comes to lifting, that often means significant soreness when you come back if you go much over a week (10 days tends to be pretty much the limit).

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #87226

Davan’s pretty spot on with the density advice.
    I only do squats for density, and only twice a week. I switch between atg one day and parallel the next. I wouldn’t be able to make it through a workout if every lift was density style.

Participant
    premium on #87229

would it be a bad idea to do, for example,bench in a density style one day then squats in a density style the second day?

Participant
    utfootball4 on #87230

would it be a bad idea to do, for example,bench in a density style one day then squats in a density style the second day?

That would be ok because you are only doing one density lift per session. I don’t like the high vol density training for sprinters but it seems to work great for some athletes.

Participant
    premium on #87249

for someone doing a lot of high volume tempo work would you rather them doing density squats or bench or would it not make a difference

Participant
    davan on #87253

You need to have your weights follow your sprinting and be well meshed into the plan. Post what your entire training weeks will be like and we might be able to offer better advice.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #87268

for someone doing a lot of high volume tempo work would you rather them doing density squats or bench or would it not make a difference

Even more of a reason to stay away from the density stuff and start with 3×10, 3×8, 3×7, 4×6.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 134 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.