Home Depot

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #9304

Since my recent travel arrangement to the Home Depot meet has been an experience from hell and has left me stranded in an airport for the second time in 3 days (this time delaying my arrival in BTR by 14 hours!!!) I figured I'd take advantage of the free wireless internet in LAX to comment on what I saw at the meet:
        1. Marion looks pretty good…..much better than at Penn and infinitely better than at Mt. Sac. Her LJ actually looks pretty decent and Dan has made some nice adjustments to her approach which seem to have helped.
        2. Mo Greene looks really good. He seems to be "back" and blistered a decent 100m field in 9.86 (albiet wind-aided).
        3. Christian Cantwell put together the best shot put series in the history of the sport topping out with #9 all-time 73'4". He's going to be tough to beat for a very long time.
        4. Alan Webb finally appears to be fulfilling all the promise he showed in HS. He ran a great mile and easily ran away from a decent field to post an Olympic "A" mark.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        sprintermt on #28311

Mo Greene, WOW he looked good.
        I was watching an old tape from a 2003 indoor meet. The one where T. Tremel won the 60M. Mo looked so much more muscular/pumped in that meet. He looked lean and mean on Saturday on NBC. Goes to show you bigger is not always better.
        Just wondering if anyone else had that impression. I felt during last year's outdoor season he could have been leaner. He's not trying for the 200m also is he?
        Go MO.

Participant
        Todd Lane on #28312

Mike-

T.V. gave us a view from the back of the lj pit as Marion would approach. She looks leaps and bounds better.

Can you comment on what was hard to see from the straight ahead view,, but it looks like there is a definitive point about 6 steps out where she decelerates slightly as she begins steering. Is that what you saw or not?

The best of the jumps looked like she did a better job of maintaining, maybe had even back up a little (?).

curious.

Participant
        Danny Tutskey on #28313

Mo looks great. He said that the IOC couldn't mail his gold medal to him so he is just going to Athens to pick it up. I thought that was pretty funny.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #28314

Todd-
        Marion is slowing down a bit at the board just as you mention but I suspect that Dan is aware of it and comfortable with it. It appears that he's getting her jammed up about 4-5 steps out from takeoff in an effort to keep her feet underneath her. This is something we do all the time with the horizontal jumpers at LSU and Dan is a former Tiger :D. While it costs the athlete some velocity it works out to be the better of the two options. In fact, Walter ALWAYS jumps his best when he's jammed up like Marion was at Home Depot. Unfortunately I only saw Dan briefly prior to the meet and didn't have time to ask about her training / technique.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        Jay Turner on #28315

[i]Originally posted by mike[/i]
        Todd-
        Marion is slowing down a bit at the board just as you mention but I suspect that Dan is aware of it and comfortable with it. It appears that he's getting her jammed up about 4-5 steps out from takeoff in an effort to keep her feet underneath her. This is something we do all the time with the horizontal jumpers at LSU and Dan is a former Tiger :D. While it costs the athlete some velocity it works out to be the better of the two options. In fact, Walter ALWAYS jumps his best when he's jammed up like Marion was at Home Depot. Unfortunately I only saw Dan briefly prior to the meet and didn't have time to ask about her training / technique.

What do you mean mike when you say "jammed up"?

Participant
        CoachKW on #28316

From what I saw, she shortened the last 5-6 strides in order to ensure that she could "load up" a bit more.

Also, what impressed me was that she had no problems with the wind and was on the board nearly every jump. You could see her confidence (and distance) growing with each jump.

:dance:

Participant
        Todd Lane on #28317

Mike, thanks for your thoughts and comments.

A few thoughts and questions I have from this and will throw out to everyone….

1) Lowering.. with jamming, is the lowering occuring in a more Powell like way? or would we see less of a lowering? or is lowering set up by COM moving with greater vertical displacement with deceleration and jamming causing increased frequency,, therefore allowing less lowering because following greater wave off board sets up great enough vertical component for take off.

2) Observation… you mentioned Walter jumping better when jammed. I've always felt from observation, that those who are triple jumpers first and talented at it, have trouble with being able to created lowering for long b/c of carry over of triple take off angles. In doing so TJ'ers use take off with lower vertical component, so would jamming help comensate this???? Seems like there is compensation on landings for lower take off for those that I've seen. Any thoughts on your observations of similar things? I've noticed more with females probably.

Thanks.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #28318

[i]Originally posted by DaGovernor[/i]

Putting her starting mark closer to than it would be under ideal (her doing everything correctly) situations. This causes the last steps to be "jammed" or bunched into a closer space than normal and often keeps the feet underneath the athlete.

ELITETRACK Founder

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #28319

[i]Originally posted by todd[/i]
        Mike, thanks for your thoughts and comments.

A few thoughts and questions I have from this and will throw out to everyone….

1) Lowering.. with jamming, is the lowering occuring in a more Powell like way? or would we see less of a lowering? or is lowering set up by COM moving with greater vertical displacement with deceleration and jamming causing increased frequency,, therefore allowing less lowering because following greater wave off board sets up great enough vertical component for take off.

I think it's the latter. Walter and Marion can get away with this but this may very well be because of their speed. The faster an athlete is coming in to the board, the more difficult (and the less necessary) it is to create big vertical forces or displacement.

2) Observation… you mentioned Walter jumping better when jammed. I've always felt from observation, that those who are triple jumpers first and talented at it, have trouble with being able to created lowering for long b/c of carry over of triple take off angles. In doing so TJ'ers use take off with lower vertical component, so would jamming help comensate this????

It could very well be. Walter tends to run really "squtty" when coming in to takeoff and I think it may also help a little in this area too.

Seems like there is compensation on landings for lower take off for those that I've seen. Any thoughts on your observations of similar things? I've noticed more with females probably.

I have noticed this, especially in athletes who have low takeoff angles and sub-elite speed. This is most likely because their low vertical component and sub-elite speed at take-off doesn't afford them the time in the air to get into the best landing position.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        delldell on #28320

This is probably common knowledge, but why was Marion stutter stepping? I don't know much about track, so what's the reasoning behind her keeping her feet underneath her.

Participant
        Jay Turner on #28321

[i]Originally posted by mike[/i]
        [quote][i]Originally posted by DaGovernor[/i]

Putting her starting mark closer to than it would be under ideal (her doing everything correctly) situations. This causes the last steps to be "jammed" or bunched into a closer space than normal and often keeps the feet underneath the athlete. [/quote]Is this another way of saying stutter stepping? If so, then why is this good?

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #28322

[i]Originally posted by delldell[/i]
        This is probably common knowledge, but why was Marion stutter stepping? I don't know much about track, so what's the reasoning behind her keeping her feet underneath her.

While Marion has always stutter-stepped to some degree as she approaches takeoff the difference now appears to be that instead of stutter stepping and losing a lot of speed, she's just increasing her frequency of turnover in a more controlled and consistent manner while still maintaining decent sprint mechanics and not losing as much speed. If we want to continue this discussion let's start another thread.

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.