Hill Training

Posted In: Polls

Participant
        Jay Turner on #16978

Which is better?

Participant
        Josh Hurlebaus on #101251

During SPP I’ll throw in some contrasted hill runs, where I alternate a shallow grade sprint with a flat sprint.

Other than that I keep them in GPP.

Participant
        Vince Collantes on #101265

I think during GPP would be the best time to do hills, but I have yet to really put them in my training so this is just my observation..

Quick question, during GPP is it betted to be doing long hill runs or short hills working on accel or both?

Participant
        Jay Turner on #101273

Vince,

My opinion would be to work on both.

Coaches,

My GPP is 17 weeks long. Should I have them do hills once/week all GPP, every other week, or as needed? How often should I do them?

Participant
        Eric Broadbent on #101274

I feel like 17 weeks is a long time to be doing hills(especially if its the same hill)…I mean you can progress out the distance and reps so much and then I think it’s time to move on to more specific things. I think you could sort of phase them out maybe and do them once a week or so for first 8-10 weeks and then maybe go to every other week and then phase them out completely.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #101834

I’ve used hills as long as 12 weeks for some long sprinters (with the run lengths going out to 80m) and I thought it worked great.

Last year I had my short sprinters / jumpers do 8 weeks of short hills. This year we’re going to be doing 12 weeks. This cycle we’ve had both resisted runs and hill runs (on different days).

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        naprobst on #101847

I’ve done long hills (200-350) exclusively in the first 5-6 weeks of fall training. Any hill work after that was short (40m max). Occasionally we’ve revisited long hills between indoor and outdoor season.

Participant
        Jay Turner on #104451

If you are an 800m runner, what would be the best day of the week to do hills?

Participant
        Josh Hurlebaus on #104452

Granted, I’ve never worked with 800m runners nor am I one myself, but I’ve found that doing hills makes me feel flat for the next day or two so I tend to keep them earlier in the week if I am doing them ever in season.

Participant
        star61 on #104457

KitKat, of the famous Lactate thread at CF.com, routinely used hills through SPP for his 400m runners. He used them as overtime runs, as opposed to overdistance, having his sprinters run at 85-90% (if I remember correctly) for a distance that would make the rep slightly longer than the 400m target. He really liked the hills, they were/are an important part of his training plan.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.