Heavy Sled and Light Sled- Data Required

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #18980

A recent blog post by Bret Conteras left many coaches wondering what loads to use to improve performance. I think the study is great for beginners but for elite sprinters I don’t see it. Before young coaches start a bonfire around “sacrifices” because a study on slow athletes who should join recreation programs at the local Y, we need to drill down more. My answer is your program should provide

Continue reading…

Participant
    mortac8 on #120211

Choose wisely

https://www.powerpull.com
    https://www.run-rocket.com

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #120214

What track coach in their right mind trains the 0-10m segment in isolation? This study is worthless without understanding how it affects the entire acceleration curve (or at least a significantly larger chunk of it). If all you’ve done is create an acceleration pattern than peaks your speed too early then congratulations, you’re now a slower sprinter.

Participant
    mortac8 on #120215

In general you’re right but it could be useful for 100h

Participant
    davan on #120219

What about pushing vs pulling a sled?

In my experience, sleds, even slightly heavy, cause significant tightness in the hamstrings if you are pulling them. I don’t necessarily mind that, but it is worth considering if you are running further than 10 yards. I find the mechanics change quite drastically (in a negative way) if you are pulling a heavy weight.

Alternatively, sled pushes seem to be a much better exercise at getting this specific strength if you want to use a heavier sled. In spite of the arms being locked/zombie style, the shoulders down look much better than most heavy pulling I see. I concur with Henk K. that it seems silly to analyze in isolation since it is essentially just analyzing whether resistance training alone can improve the 5-10m time of an untrained person. A bit silly really.

I think steep(er) hills can fit in there well. Charlie was one of the big proponents of the 10% rule, but the hill he uses in his GPP video is quite steep and causing much more slowing down than 10% (which would be less than .4 over 30m for a male). I generally dislike heavy sled pulling though for somebody already lifting and sprinting regularly.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.