Hamstrings Pulls Guaranteed: Magic Six Week Program

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Vern Gambetta
        Participant
        Vern Gambetta on #13713

If you want to pull hamstrings then spend a lot of time focused on training the hamstring muscles in isolation. Do hamstring curls at least twice a week and try to fit in another day if possible. Be sure to go as heavy as you can and really emphasize the eccentric phase by slowing down the lowering action. If you do not have one, go out and buy a $400 ham/glute machine and add that into the progra

Continue reading…

Participant
        mortac8 on #68039

uh… what is your solution to help prevent hamstring problems?  do nothing?  no stretching, no resistance training? 

Participant
        mn-highjumper on #59033

I am on that program for re-hab right now for FREE. Minus the secret Russian curls.

Participant
        flight05 on #59034

whats wrong with glute ham raises?

i think combining rdl, gm and ghr/ecc leg curls is great for reducing ham pulls.
        but good technique/form improvement is the best thing for ham prone ppl.

Participant
        Carson Boddicker on #59035

I don't think he is reallying saying GHR is a bad exercise, just that people often place too great of emphasis on it as a figurative athletic enhancing "panacea". 

Participant
        utfootball4 on #59036

whats wrong with glute ham raises?

i think combining rdl, gm and ghr/ecc leg curls is great for reducing ham pulls.
        but good technique/form improvement is the best thing for ham prone ppl.

i agree with you 100% i have done all of those movements but they should be done in the offseason aka summer when the running vol is low to none.

Participant
        utfootball4 on #59037

I don't think he is reallying saying GHR is a bad exercise, just that people often place too great of emphasis on it as a figurative athletic enhancing "panacea". 

well give thanks to westside and jay Schroeder.

Participant
        dkhammy on #59038

i think the point that Vern is trying to get across it that no hamstring exercises should be used that work the hamstring from the distal joint.  As this doesn't replicate the muscles action during running and therefore these exercises have no relevance to the effective training of the hamstring. 

Participant
        mortac8 on #59039

i think the point that Vern is trying to get across it that no hamstring exercises should be used that work the hamstring from the distal joint.  As this doesn't replicate the muscles action during running and therefore these exercises have no relevance to the effective training of the hamstring. 

Ok, that makes sense.  Why didn't he just say that.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #59040

I could definitely see how the article gives the impression that he's saying not to do any hamstring strength work. Knowing Vern though this is not at all what he's saying. In fact I'm certain he likes to strengthen the hamstring as a leg extensor and in an integrated rather than an isolated approach. I personally like to use all kinds of pulling exercises, as well as variations of step-ups and lunges.

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.