Greatest male T&F record?

Posted In: Polls

Participant
        aivala on #15897

I left out three records that might be suspicious of doping in order to give place to other records that couln’t place in the list:

Shot Put – Barnes 23.12 (USA)
        Hammer – Sedykh 86.74 (CCCP)
        Discus – Schult 74.08 (GDR)

and one that couldn’t place there:

3000m steeplechase – Shaheen 7:53.63
        3000m – Komen 7:20.67
        110mH – 12.87 Dayron Robles
        400mH4 – Kevin Young 6.78

and Serble 9027 points in the decathlon!!! (+1 vote)

I am still doubting between Zelezny’s or Edwards achievements. Both are monstruous, specially considering the actual distance of the latter (18.40+).

Participant
        Josh Hurlebaus on #85093

The string of performances needed to hit 9000 points in the decath is ridiculous. My vote is with the decath, followed by Edwards

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #85094

I think my top 5 (not sure of order) are Zelezny, Bolt’s 200m, Bubka, Edwards, and Sebrele.

If we’re talking about single most dominant athlete then it’s probably Zelezny and Bubka with Bolt a close 3rd (missing out on longevity only).

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        Daniel Andrews on #85097

3000m Steeple record might be untouchable.

• Nick Newman
        Participant
        Nick Newman on #85098

Why is everyone not mentioning Powells 8.95m ?

I think the single greatest performance ever in Track was Beamons 8.90 and the fact that Powell beat that and that 8.74m (21cm’s less) is the biggest jump since Powell record which came 30???? years after Beamons record…!!!!!

My word it has to be Powell. It is the greatest record in sports period isn’t it?

My top 5 are:

1- Powell
        2- Serble
        3- Edwards
        4- Bolt 19.30
        5- Bolt 9.69 (just because of what it should/could have been

Participant
        mortac8 on #85100

I nominate Randy Barnes. Even though his record is not mega-dominant, I nominate him for a few reasons:
        #1- He threw the WR through the rainbow balloon arch at UCLA (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPZwXF1Xcpw)
        #2- He threw 79′ in practice (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E7_rH8K2d8). don’t hate, dartfish confirms it along with my magic 8-ball
        #3- He is one of the few people to actually put out video of him actually squatting & training (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5mXhgicAi0). you mean he doesn’t squat 1200lbs ?!

Shot putters are key. Anyone who can defeat Gunthor, Olfield (both of whom have awesome videos, btw) and Timmerman gets a vote in my book!

Participant
        aivala on #85101

Why is everyone not mentioning Powells 8.95m ?

I think the single greatest performance ever in Track was Beamons 8.90 and the fact that Powell beat that and that 8.74m (21cm’s less) is the biggest jump since Powell record which came 30???? years after Beamons record…!!!!!

My word it has to be Powell. It is the greatest record in sports period isn’t it?

I was expecting that one from you! lol

Many people have jumped near that mark or even more. Pedrozo 9.04 in the 95 Panams, Pedrozo 8.96, Lewis consistency, Emmiyan, Beamon, etc. Serble, Edwards, Bubka and Zelezny obliterated the event and nobody came close to them.

That Tokyo competition is maybe the greatest T&F competition I have ever seen though.

Participant
        mortac8 on #85103

Many people have jumped near that mark or even more. Pedrozo 9.04 in the 95 Panams, Pedrozo 8.96, Lewis consistency, Emmiyan, Beamon, etc. Serble, Edwards, Bubka and Zelezny obliterated the event and nobody came close to them.

That Tokyo competition is maybe the greatest T&F competition I have ever seen though.

9.04 and 8.96? What were those, measured fouls? Is that like the kid at the local meet who fouls by a foot and he begs the officials to measure it anyway and everyone goes “ooh ahh” then the kid thinks he actually jumped that and never progresses for the rest of his career? Sorry 🙂 seen that case too many times and this reminds me…

• Nick Newman
        Participant
        Nick Newman on #85104

[quote author="Nick Newman" date="1245401521"]Why is everyone not mentioning Powells 8.95m ?

That Tokyo competition is maybe the greatest T&F competition I have ever seen though.[/quote]

What are you talking about lol?

No one has jumped close in how long? And like i said, Beamon’s jump was better than anything ever done before or since in track and field but because it was broken by Powell, surely powell’s record is the greatest.

Participant
        mortac8 on #85105

Participant
        J Kilgore on #85106

46.78…Doesn’t this get any consideration?

Participant
        aivala on #85107

” date=”1245402261″]
        9.04 and 8.96? What were those, measured fouls? Is that like the kid at the local meet who fouls by a foot and he begs the officials to measure it anyway and everyone goes “ooh ahh” then the kid thinks he actually jumped that and never progresses for the rest of his career? Sorry 🙂 seen that case too many times and this reminds me…

8.96 was anulled because of an official standing in front of the windgauge. Seen here at minute 1:

And the 9.04, you are right, is a measured foul. Pedrozo had a torn hamstring that hampered his development, but he was olympic champion so it ain’t as if he never progressed.

• Nick Newman
        Participant
        Nick Newman on #85109

46.78…Doesn’t this get any consideration?

I was thinking that too…

But when you see Kerron Clement run 47.29 stuttering like crazy over the final 2 hurdles, it makes you think it could actually be totally smashed.

Participant
        aivala on #85111

What are you talking about lol?

No one has jumped close in how long? And like i said, Beamon’s jump was better than anything ever done before or since in track and field but because it was broken by Powell, surely powell’s record is the greatest.

Jumped close in how long isn’t the same as ever come close. Nobody has ever approached those marks.

Participant
        J Kilgore on #85114

I was thinking that too…

But when you see Kerron Clement run 47.29 stuttering like crazy over the final 2 hurdles, it makes you think it could actually be totally smashed

I agree that it COULD get broken, but everyone (including myself) has been saying that about Kerron since he ran that and he hasn’t taken the next step. No one else has broken 47 seconds.

That being said, I would vote for Powell or Edwards being the best, I just think Kevin Young needs to be on the list.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #85125

Yeah I actually feel ashamed for not remembering Kevin’s mark. It’s really totally sick to think he could make it to the semis of NCAAs going over hurdles. There’s really only 1 guy close to that mark.

Although the LJ marks are tremendous I don’t have them on my short list because quite a few have jumped 8.7+ which is more than can be said for coming that close to Zelezny or Bubka’s marks.

In the case of Bolt I rank it very high because he completely dominated what I think is probably one of the most competitive and widely contests events in all of sport and other than MJ no one has come anywhere close to his 19.30.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        Jay Turner on #85168

In no particular order….

Kipketer – if I had to choose, I’d actually rank this as the greatest. No one has even come close to this. Look at the world champions from year to year. It’s ridiculous.

Bubka – to vault OVER 20 feet is just sick

Edwards – same thing to TJ over 60

Sebrele – To score 8500 is great. 9027!!!

Bolt (100m) – I agree with Nick. . . for what could/should have been

Hard to leave out Bolt’s 200m, Barnes, Zelezny though.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #85171

People medal (or even win) championships in the javelin now with marks 10+% less than Zelezny’s mark. There’s no comparison in that regards.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        Jay Turner on #85199

People medal (or even win) championships in the javelin now with marks 10+% less than Zelezny’s mark. There’s no comparison in that regards.

Good point. And it’s the same argument I am making for Wilson Kipketer’s 800m.

Participant
        Daniel Andrews on #85201

[quote author="Mike Young" date="1245411125"]People medal (or even win) championships in the javelin now with marks 10+% less than Zelezny’s mark. There’s no comparison in that regards.

Good point. And it’s the same argument I am making for Wilson Kipketer’s 800m.[/quote]

3K Steeple and the 3K anyone?

Participant
        Matt Norquist on #85211

My top 5 (in order).

1. Zelezny
        2. Edwards
        3. Sebrle
        4. Powell
        5. Young

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #85214

[quote author="Mike Young" date="1245411125"]People medal (or even win) championships in the javelin now with marks 10+% less than Zelezny’s mark. There’s no comparison in that regards.

Good point. And it’s the same argument I am making for Wilson Kipketer’s 800m.[/quote]Even when guys win with 1:43 and 1:44 they are still reasonably close (% wise) to Kipketer’s record. The % thing is fuzzy because not all events see the same performance curves but I believe the last time I looked at the IAAF graded world records, Zelezny was number 1 and Bolt’s 200m was number 2. Can’t remember beyond that though.

ELITETRACK Founder

• Nick Newman
        Participant
        Nick Newman on #85216

Yeah but clearly Flo Jo’s 100m record is the greatest then if we are going to use some of these arguments.

• Nick Newman
        Participant
        Nick Newman on #85217

Wasn’t the JAV spec changed after the record?

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #85218

Wasn’t the JAV spec changed after than record?

Nope.

ELITETRACK Founder

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #85219

Yeah but clearly Flo Jo’s 100m record is the greatest then if we are going to use some of these arguments.

It’s for Men’s records. On the women’s side I actually think the 400m record is arguably stronger than Flo Jo’s 100m record. But then again, the women’s 400m record might not qualify as a woman’s record :ohh:

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        davan on #85222

There have at least been people within the vicinity of FloJo’s ability since ’88 (Marion going 10.65 looking ugly) and not super far off the times. When is the last time a woman went sub 48.6 (within 1 second of Koch) with any sort of consistency?

Participant
        citius99 on #85223

[quote author="Jay Turner" date="1245416594"][quote author="Mike Young" date="1245411125"]People medal (or even win) championships in the javelin now with marks 10+% less than Zelezny’s mark. There’s no comparison in that regards.

Good point. And it’s the same argument I am making for Wilson Kipketer’s 800m.[/quote]

3K Steeple and the 3K anyone?[/quote]

i actually think the 3k and steeple will be broken fairly soon. didn’t bekele run 7:23-24 a couple years ago? and shaheen has been in shape to break the steeple record a few times but just didn’t put it togeter.

i don’t think the 800m record will be broken for a while. not until you find someone with 46 low 400m speed who can run a mile at or under 4 minutes.

Participant
        Daniel Andrews on #85227

[quote author="Daniel Andrews" date="1245416939"][quote author="Jay Turner" date="1245416594"][quote author="Mike Young" date="1245411125"]People medal (or even win) championships in the javelin now with marks 10+% less than Zelezny’s mark. There’s no comparison in that regards.

3K Steeple and the 3K anyone?[/quote]

i actually think the 3k and steeple will be broken fairly soon. didn’t bekele run 7:23-24 a couple years ago? and shaheen has been in shape to break the steeple record a few times but just didn’t put it togeter.

i don’t think the 800m record will be broken for a while. not until you find someone with 46 low 400m speed who can run a mile at or under 4 minutes.[/quote]

El-G ran 7:23 in 1999 to come within 2.5s, Bekele ran 7:25 2 years ago in a record attempt to fall short by just over 5s.

• Carl Valle
        Participant
        Carl Valle on #85229

There have at least been people within the vicinity of FloJo’s ability since ’88 (Marion going 10.65 looking ugly) and not super far off the times. When is the last time a woman went sub 48.6 (within 1 second of Koch) with any sort of consistency?

Just taking a lunch break. Yes I agree Davan as we all know the 100m record is not wind legal. So convert that time and you got reality.

Participant
        Zach Batcho on #85230

My Top 5:
        Zelezny
        Bubka
        Serble
        Bolt(200m)
        Young

Zelezny is the definitely the most impressive world record. If it is plugged into the decathlon scoring table it is the highest scorer of the 10 world records and jav is arguably the hardest event to score in.

Participant
        ABCs on #85237

My top 5 are:

1. Michael Johnson
        2. Roman Sebrle
        3. Zelezny
        4. Edwards
        5. Bubka

Really hard to choose. I respect both 400m runners and decathloners so much though that their records are just so amazing. Bubka, Zelezny, and Edwards all dominated their events, though.

Participant
        Chad Williams on #85759

I would have to go with Bubka for a couple of reasons:

1) If you watch his jumps at 20ft compared to those nowadays, he gets off of the top of the pole better than any other vaulter.

2) Pole technology has gotten better, both lighter and better return.

3) Tracks have gotten faster.

Still Bubka’s record still stands in the record books. Go back and watch BW’s attempts at the OT’s. Then youtube Bubka’s WR and you will be astounded. Bubka comes off the top of the pole in what seems like forever on the video and still stays in beautiful position. If he had the poles and runways that are available today, I have no doubt the record would be even higher.

Zelezny is my #2 because not only was he dominant but his records dwarf most elite throwers.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #88114

Has anyone changed there minds now that Usain has gone 9.58 and 19.19?

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        JeremyRichmond on #88124

No doubt about it now!

Bolt’s 100m record (9.58 and 9.69)
        Bolt’s 200m record
        Gay’s second place in 100m

My justification:
        People that I hardly know are coming up to talk to me about Bolt. Never ever before has this ever happened. (Fingers crossed now!)

Participant
        ABCs on #88128

Why is Sotomayor’s record here he took steroids? Michael Johnson had two teammates that were caught doping in Calvin and Alvin Harrison, and Butch Reynolds was caught too. Johnson is like Bolt, the double WR holder who is obviously on drugs, yet nobody cares or realizes… Now Bolt is looking iffy. 19.19 and a caught teammate, not to mention the insanely high number of medals that went to Jamaica for their 2.8 million pop…Until I get a slab of his muscle and test it for all it’s worth, there is no reason to believe he is clean. That is how corrupted track is.

Participant
        RunnerMan on #88132

Why is Sotomayor’s record here he took steroids? Michael Johnson had two teammates that were caught doping in Calvin and Alvin Harrison, and Butch Reynolds was caught too. Johnson is like Bolt, the double WR holder who is obviously on drugs, yet nobody cares or realizes… Now Bolt is looking iffy. 19.19 and a caught teammate, not to mention the insanely high number of medals that went to Jamaica for their 2.8 million pop…Until I get a slab of his muscle and test it for all it’s worth, there is no reason to believe he is clean. That is how corrupted track is.

If he’s dirty, so is everyone else, in which case he is still the GOAT. That doesn’t fix the problem, but he is phenomenal – clean or dirty.

Zelenzy’s record is insane, all these really top-notch current throwers can’t get within 6-7 meters of it.

Obviously Bolts records are out of this world.

I believe the 3k (7:20.67) by Komen (?) is right up there. It’s quite ridiculous when you think about it. Considering KB has only run 7.24, which is the same as El G. That says something for a record.

400m probably should be a 42 by MJ, and will probably be there soon, so its kinda weaker then many of the others. 800m is strong, but could potentially go lower in the not too distant future as well.

Sebrele’s WR will go down at least once within the next 3-4 years.400mh is very strong as well. Clement isn’t really making any ground on it and he’s about as talented as they come (excl. Bolt).

Jump records are also incredible. TJ won’t go in the near future. LJ might, but only because LJ is off the hook right now. HJ record is like roof height lol.

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.