Great women’s 100m final in Osaka

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #13320

I just saw the WCSN broadcast of the women's 100m final and man was that close. It looked like Lauren had won with 5m to go and then a group of athletes came storming up. I can't recall another 100m final in Olympic or World Champs history where there were so many people so close together.PositionLaneBibAthleteCountryMarkReact17577Veronica CampbellJAM11.01 0.167241007Lauryn WilliamsUSA11.0

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    coachformerlyknownas on #67953

What part of the shoulder, if that, is considered part of the torso?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #66323

I can see how they awarded it to Campbell instead of Williams. Campbells chest clearly passes the line ahead of Williams. What makes it look fuzzy is Williams head appears 'head and shoulders' in front of Campbell.

A great run by both. I wasn't expecting Williams to do nearly as well as she did.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    utfootball4 on #66324

I can see how they awarded it to Campbell instead of Williams. Campbells chest clearly passes the line ahead of Williams. What makes it look fuzzy is Williams head appears 'head and shoulders' in front of Campbell.

A great run by both. I wasn't expecting Williams to do nearly as well as she did.

Williams is all turnover.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #66325

A couple things of note on this race:
    *This verifies my belief that you can run fast with poor posture (if you're already very talented) but it tends to catch up, especially when competition is tight.
    *Leaning at the line is risky but can pay off.
    *A poorly timed lean is worse than no lean at all.
    *The head forward lunge lean probably isn't the most effective technique.
    *When the difference between the 1st and 6th best women in the world is only 0.07 seconds, every edge is important.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    mortac8 on #66326

What is the most effective way of "leaning"?  Chest forward or twisting shoulder forward?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #66327

I don't really know for sure but it seems if you time it up right the twisting shoulder forward lean has more advantages. Hurdlers have been using it effectively for 5+ years.

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.