Galen Rupp vs. German Fernandez

Posted In: Polls

Participant
        Jay Turner on #15382

In the aftermath of Galen Rupp’s breaking of the American Record in the 3000m, I pose this question…

Participant
        trackjabber on #78354

Galen has been a prodigy for some time who is just starting to fulfill potential. What is exciting about German is how quickly he’s come to be so good. I think these guys might be the next level of US distance running. Hopefully Webb can return to his top levels as well.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #78605

I think the 5k / 10k would be a little easier to make it on to the world scene right now so I’m going to give my nod to Rupp.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        Daniel Andrews on #78615

Let’s not forget Chris Derrick and Luke Puskedra either to go along with German. However, right now Rupp is better than Fernandez and has the brighter future. Two years from now, US distance running could be back in action at the World Level.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #79378

I think Rupp showed last night that he’s the man (at least right now). Maybe even a better miler than Fernandez.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        Daniel Andrews on #79382

Fernandez is not even running at Nationals so I assume he is injured again. I can’t believe Rupp took down Ulrey in the DMR.

Participant
        trackjabber on #79389

I’ll eat my previous comments. After watching Rupp last night I’m a fan. Very impressive indeed.

Participant
        aivala on #79390

Fernandez is going for world XC so he decided not to compete at nationals.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #79482

I had heard he was doing the same. I wonder what his coaches thought about that? They’re presumably paying the guys way to school so he can score points for them.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        Daniel Andrews on #79490

Didn’t Oregon do much of the same thing with Rupp his freshman year as well? Aren’t Derrick and Pukesdra, who ran at the meet, also running world juniors as well? It doesn’t make sense to make German run so many meets at the mile and 3000m to then just pass up the NCAA’s which is two weeks removed from the Worlds. In fact, its a perfect opportunity to race. Sometimes distance coaches amaze me with their thought processes.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #79493

Yeah UO did something very similar with Rupp and he and UO seemed to receive a ton of criticism for it. Seems that Fernandez isn’t getting any.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        Daniel Andrews on #79500

I cannot criticize Rupp for not wasting a year of eligibility like German has. WTF are they are thinking at OSU? He could have ran unattached but he had at least 3 races as an official representative of the school. Completely mind-boggling.

Participant
        trackjabber on #79716

I can’t make head or tail of it either. It seems that maybe German pulled a fast one on them and might have demanded it. Just a guess but why else would they have made such a blunder. Who knows?

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #79736

I can’t make head or tail of it either. It seems that maybe German pulled a fast one on them and might have demanded it. Just a guess but why else would they have made such a blunder. Who knows?

Is this total speculation or is there anything behind it?

It would seem that like dbandre said, they essentially wasted an indoor season of eligibility as far as the team goes. I guess it depends on how they view his participation at XC world champs though. That could be seen as a publicity / recruiting boost for the school and if that’s the objective then more power to them.

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.