Freelap Releases new IrDA Capture Utility

Participant
    Christopher Glaeser on #17549

Freelap has released a new IrDA Capture Utility that enhances the workflow and simplifies the steps required to capture timing data from one or more stopwatches. The Freelap IrDA Capture Utility is a Windows application that captures timing data from a Freelap stopwatch and stores the data to a CSV file. The CSV data can then be imported into Excel or other applications to view, process, print, and log the data.

See Freelap Releases new IrDA Capture Utility to download the utility and review the User Guide.

For more information contact [email=contact@freelaptrackandfield.com]Freelap Track and Field[/email]

Best,
    Christopher

Participant
    Lee Ness on #108733

Hi Christopher, I’ve been in contact with HS Sports in England for exactly this. My question to him was if I had an 8 lane 100m and wanted 3 split times plus the overall, how would I do it quickly and easily to get the data from the watches.
    Simply put how easy is it to get the data loaded and reviewed and back to the athletes within a short rest cycle?

Participant
    Christopher Glaeser on #108779

Hi Christopher, I’ve been in contact with HS Sports in England for exactly this. My question to him was if I had an 8 lane 100m and wanted 3 split times plus the overall, how would I do it quickly and easily to get the data from the watches.
    Simply put how easy is it to get the data loaded and reviewed and back to the athletes within a short rest cycle?

Hi Lee,

First, a quick preface that may be helpful in answering your question …

In recent months I have been consulting with several elite coaches and trainers on this forum regarding the design requirements of an application that can download the timing data from the Freelap watch with an emphasis on ease of workflow. The basic idea is to extract the raw data and write it to a file so that the coach/trainer can import the data into their own applications (e.g. Excel spreadsheets) to perform their own (often unique, sometimes proprietary) analysis. To that end, the manufacturer has developed a new utility that can download the data and write it to a file in CSV format. It is a work in progress with further enhancements planned, and I discuss the features, refinements, issues, and suggestions with the manufacturer daily.

Now, to address your specific question, do you need the data instantly after each run, or can you accumulate the data and collect it after all the runs? Note that each watch can hold over 700 splits, and each run is date and time stamped, so it is possible to accumulate data and match it to events later. If you provide a few more details about the training (e.g. does each athlete have a watch or are athletes sharing watches, etc), I’ll follow up with additional comments.

In any case, the time required to download data from a watch is fairly quick, and we are adding features to the utility to further enhance the workflow for multiple watches. I have timed the actual data transfer time, and it takes 3 to 4 seconds to download approximately 50 splits. (My testing was done with a Syba USB Fast IrDA adapter).

Best,
    Christopher

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.