Frans Bosch- Pros and Cons

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #120363

A lot of blogs have shared an interest in what Frans is lecturing about and of course many inbound emails have been sent to bait me into responding. I was at the USATF Level 3 school when Vern Gambetta was promoting positive running, and in 2007 Frans spoke at the following conference. A lot of his information was nice, but the application, especially in the weight room, created a ten year dark ag

Continue reading…

Participant
    mortac8 on #120456

From what I hear, he has backed off his wonky weight exercises to some degree. I think the first part of his book is good. The 2nd part (exercises) is highly questionable. It seems he may understand this a bit now however I need to learn Dutch to read his latest book.

I would love to know if Bosch promotes himself hard or if he is just basically a guy who wrote a book now everyone is pulling him in for a world speaking tour. I don’t get the impression he has a social media machine promoting himself t-nation style.

I think he has some useful information but the way it was presented in 2007 was not good.

Participant
    Ryan Banta on #120458

I do use some of his stuff. Great results with the bio-mechanics drills. Weight room has only been used with my most senior training aged kids. The results have been positive. However, I am working with high school aged kids. That could lead to some results that might not be seen in more mature athletes. I can say that since we have started some of these “unique” lifts kids have continued to push their lifts higher every time we recycle our strength phase each year.

"Nature hides her secret because of her essential loftiness, but not by means of ruse." -Albert Einstein

Participant
    Martijn de Lange on #120460

Actually the exercise selection gets ‘wonkier’ in the second book, with the inclusion of balance stuff (see cover), bosu balls, swiss balls and the like.

I fully agree with Carl’s comments. Nevertheless Bosch provides a lot of thought provoking ideas and I do enjoy reading them. And adding a variety of light weight bearing exercises to the program of a young athlete with poor coordination skills is probably better than just doing the basic lifts with the heaviest weight possible. But it remains to be seen if it’s worthwhile for elite performers with great motor control in their event.

Participant
    W.E. Price on #120463

I agree with Mortac8 regarding the initial sections of Running. However what I’ve done for a few years now is to find commonality with Weyand, Mann, Bosch et al and use basic strength, mobility and speed development exercises to form a more functional training process with my athletes. True to the point it must be compliant with the abilities of the athletes being trained. Unfortunately I heve neither a sub-10.7 male or sub-11.8 female and my locale is famous for the chronic overuse syndrome.

Participant
    W.E. Price on #120464

Can anyone recommend a purchasing source for his second book?

Participant
    Martijn de Lange on #120465

https://www.bol.com/nl/p/krachttraining-en-coordinatie/9200000005399633/?featuredProduct

shipping costs are € 17,35

You do realize it’s written in Dutch?

Participant
    W.E. Price on #120467

https://www.bol.com/nl/p/krachttraining-en-coordinatie/9200000005399633/?featuredProduct

shipping costs are € 17,35

You do realize it’s written in Dutch?

Yes. Thank you.

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #120479

Actually the exercise selection gets ‘wonkier’ in the second book, with the inclusion of balance stuff (see cover), bosu balls, swiss balls and the like.

I fully agree with Carl’s comments. Nevertheless Bosch provides a lot of thought provoking ideas and I do enjoy reading them. And adding a variety of light weight bearing exercises to the program of a young athlete with poor coordination skills is probably better than just doing the basic lifts with the heaviest weight possible. But it remains to be seen if it’s worthwhile for elite performers with great motor control in their event.

Thought Provoking yes…..but let’s get on the grass or track running instead of doing silly exercises in the weight room. It’s ok to get stronger in general training.

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #120480

I do use some of his stuff. Great results with the bio-mechanics drills. Weight room has only been used with my most senior training aged kids. The results have been positive. However, I am working with high school aged kids. That could lead to some results that might not be seen in more mature athletes. I can say that since we have started some of these “unique” lifts kids have continued to push their lifts higher every time we recycle our strength phase each year.

It’s ok to say that when they are young, time does a nice job coaching.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.