Everything else equal, the strongest wins.

Posted In: Tom Tellez

Participant
        thor on #10243

This was said by Tom Tellez in an interview where he and Carl Lewis discussed their training methods and at first reading it appears trivial, but seeing that Tellez coached both strong and comparably weak sprinters with the same degree of success, what is he really saying?

Could the meaning be, for instance, that one quality must be developed at the expence of another?

Participant
        rong on #40304

logic would dictate that if everything else was equal
        1. the fastest would win
        2. the strongest would win
        3. the one who slept the most would win.

if EVERYTHING else is equal, then having more of any good quality would allow you to win because EVERYTHING ELSE IS EQUAL.

in real life everything else isn’t equal

Participant
        Kebba Tolbert on #40305

the genious of Tellez is that he made very complex things sound simple… the first time i watched one of his hurdle tapes i was like “oh, ok… i can teach *that*” the next day i’m out at the track and like “holy shit, how do i do get them to do what i want.”

tellez would cut all the fat off and get to the essentials.

he also was a master technician. People tend to forget his UCLA career… he had studs and could’ve been a hall of famer just of that stint, imho.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #40306

The quote is especially interesting given the limited lifting that I’ve heard SMTC guys did in their early days. I don’t think however that it means that one quality should be trained at the expense of others (at least not to any great exclusion). Thor, can you point us to the interview where you saw the quote?

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
      • Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #40308

Thanks for the link Thor. I’ve cut and pasted the article here so we can reference it even if the link goes dead.

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.