European Influences in Medicine Ball Training Part 1

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #17270

Medicine ball training in the US seems to be low volume of some throws against a wall only. While I am a big advocate of throwing against a wall, history shares that most athletes years ago used a partner for good reason. First, partner work is more GS with an increase of volume, as partners change the frequency of the reps speed. Medicine Balls from the late 1800s are not much different then what

Continue reading…

Participant
    jonnybgood on #104499

Great post, Carl. I love the use of med balls but I always wonder if I am using them “at the right times”, or in the right way to maximize the benefits. Anyone want to share a more detailed way that they put them to use (routines) and how the use of them progresses/changes as the season goes along (GPP vs. SPP, etc.)

Participant
    Eric Broadbent on #104504

We use medicine balls through the entire course of the year for two main options: General Strength Circuit or Multi Throws for power development. We don’t use them a ton for general strength but have done some pretty awful medicine ball circuits in the GPP that involve a partner and various throws mixed in with some locomotive stuff. Currently we are in pre comp phase and have a pretty solid total body medball circuit that we do on low intensity day and each week we have tacked on 1-2 reps for the total circuit. For the multi throws we don’t really progress in reps or anything like that. We usually do them at the end a heavy weight session and only do 2-6 reps. On a given week we do them 1-2 times. My other coach followed similar use of medball, I would also be interested to hear how others use them during different parts of year.

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #104509

Eric is that sets or reps? Multi throws are like plyos but trunk and GS are you doing 1-2 reps?

Participant
    Eric Broadbent on #104519

sorry should have specified where we started…we started off circuit at like 12 reps or so and have added 1 to 2 reps each week and are currently at 16 reps for maybe 12-14 exercises.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.