Elite Track Members

Posted In: Blog Discussion

Participant
    James Smith on #15609

The combative, sarcastic, and insulting remarks of more than one member of Elite Track as well Carl Valle, are a childish and immature reminder of all that is unfortunate regarding the democratic nature of internet forums.Why it is that individuals choose to punctuate what might other wise be intelligent points with cheap shots and combative language, I’m not sure.At any rate, as a coach who has

Continue reading…

Participant
    Matt Norquist on #81284

It does seem like you’ve been singled out for some aggressive criticism…

That said, I would think you should welcome the opportunity to outline the merits of your training POV…

Carl and others are raising valid challenges about the whether your methods can be applied across many events. You also have valid points about training using training most relevant to actual event performance.

I think the debate is a good one, and not one where anyone should “take their ball and go home”…

Ultimately, each individual coach and athlete need to decide their own route to performance, and having diverse points of view allows for experimentation and learning what works for the individual in question.

I think the key is individualizing to each athlete. What works for one may not work for another.

Participant
    davan on #81285

I agree, Matt. I don’t see what has been combative. In academia and other circles, if someone makes claims, they are often highly criticized and debated. Analogies are often used and one of Kool-Aid is quite appropriate. After speaking with James on the phone, he does not believe his points and beliefs are debatable and are simply fact. He said that his positions are so objective that there is not even a point in debating because it is simply facts that he is presenting. Clearly, any sort of debate then would seem “combative” to him, but I see it as being critical and appropriate, especially when James argues that Western coaches and scientists have provided next to nothing for sporting compared to Russians/Soviets.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #81299

Well wasn’t this obvious?

Why would someone like James want to be singled out and made example of on the front page of this site by someone like Cale Valle? ? ? !

It was well out of line. Just because Carl thinks he has points all the time does not mean he has create a front page blog about it.

He thinks he is well above everyone else and this is more obvious now than ever.

I am sorry James left because he gave us a different and very interesting insight and clearly had a hell of alot to share with us all. Carl doesn’t share much of anything other than combative, self centered, opinionated threads…

He is what this site could do with out. Not James.

Participant
    davan on #81300

Nik, are you still upset because Carl was critical about your LJing? Plenty of people find value in what Carl says, so saying that he brings nothing to the site is simply the belief from a sample of 1. What do you think the blog section is for? A blog is by definition a short, generally casual commentary on an issue/event/etc. If James is unable to debate/address simple points or believes that disagreement and alternative vernacular is combative, then perhaps it is a waste of his time to be here.

Participant
    trackjabber on #81301

Sorry to see you go. I think the treatment has been a little unfair too…mainly by Carl and Daniel. Other criticisms seemed to at least be fair. I can say that Daniel already showed himself to have some anger issues or some need to prove himself when I first joined the board.

I don’t know enough to disagree or agree with what you’re writing about but I was enjoying hearing the different perspectives and wished that things were debated rather than have kool aid references, and insults thrown around so casually. What was especially annoying was Carl writing a new blog every time he wanted instead of responding to the comments james made within the blog discussion that CARL HAD MADE IN THE FIRST PLACE. It comes off like…I’ll talk and you just listen!

Really though, I’m kinda sick of all this russian battle stuff. Can we move on already.

Participant
    Mccabe on #81310

Shame to see you go really. Always interesting to read alternate viewpoints, helps further learning.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #81311

Nik, are you still upset because Carl was critical about your LJing? Plenty of people find value in what Carl says, so saying that he brings nothing to the site is simply the belief from a sample of 1. What do you think the blog section is for? A blog is by definition a short, generally casual commentary on an issue/event/etc. If James is unable to debate/address simple points or believes that disagreement and alternative vernacular is combative, then perhaps it is a waste of his time to be here.

Carl never said a single comment about my “LJing” Davan. Sorry to disappoint you but i wouldn’t value anything he had to tell me. What he did say were complete lies and disrespectful comments towards me which were out of context and uncalled for.

Still, i can read believe it or not and since Carl has became a fix on this site the amount of uncalled for, ignorant and arrogant comments has increased dramatically..

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #81313

What was especially annoying was Carl writing a new blog every time he wanted instead of responding to the comments james made within the blog discussion that CARL HAD MADE IN THE FIRST PLACE. It comes off like…I’ll talk and you just listen!

100% agreed. This was my original point. This was a total abuse of a privilege and i’m not sure how Mike wouldn’t agree.

Especially RIGHT AFTER a thread regarding this type of shit. How dumb can you get!

Participant
    David on #81335

This outcome was becoming increasingly evident. Carl’s latest blog entries clearly aimed to attack James on a personal level while adding nothing new to the discussion.

The argument that this type of conduct is excusable just because it happens on the internet is not acceptable! Respectful behavior must be a constant, regardless of the medium. Obviously everyone is free to share their opinion; they just have to follow one simple rule: One person’s freedom ends where the other person’s freedom begins! I seriously doubt Carl would address James in the same way he did if they were to meet in person.

Ultimately, each individual coach and athlete need to decide their own route to performance, and having diverse points of view allows for experimentation and learning what works for the individual in question.

I think the key is individualizing to each athlete. What works for one may not work for another.

Exactly! I would like to see the discussion follow that path.

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #81389

First I want everyone to read this and comment on it.

Job Preservation – Some Facts

James:

I wish for you stay, I welcome you, but not with a free pass. In fact, I want you to stay, because going off and hiding behind your protective umbrella only gives credence to what Carl, Evan, and I speak. As I said previously an indirect approach would better serve you in addressing your critics. The reason an indirect approach is better is it deafens our direct blows. Your special ops friends would say this is applicable in all forms of warfare as they are masters of indirect strategy and tactics. I have been critical of Carl and he has been critical of I as has Evan, but we all choose to stay, unfortunately Nik who I happen to like and enjoy still has issues with Carl and vice-versa. That’s life get past the past move on.

Jabber:

I don’t have anger issues, I have issues with the certain lines of thought and simplicity being taken as gospel when it is not and being claimed to have objectivity when in fact it doesn’t as Evan has said. We are all guilty of adhering to dogma and spreading it (especially when they are making money on it). When Carl wrote his blog, he didn’t single out James as TheThinker, James did that himself. What I will not ever stand for and will defend anyone against is what James did to Carl by outing himself then claiming he hasn’t been given a fair shot even though he was given his own blog by Mike. If you cannot defend your viewpoints or philosophy in an open forum like this maybe it is better to hide behind your own propaganda especially when you are given the chance at speaking from Bully Pulpit of this site. I listen to anyone, I may even continue my dissent, but my track record on this forum about being open-minded and willing to change cannot be questioned, because if this site didn’t change my mind about having sprinters run miles then I don’t know what did or being someone who challenges Barry Ross on this site and his own site, but also supports him on this site and his own. I see people having way too much sensitivity right now about their own thoughts, because admitting they are wrong about something in some ways may them liable, hurt their credibility, and even suffer financial loss because they cannot sell workout or training books or sell or market a workout program or system. The marketable service a coach offers is his knowledge, his experience and applies that to athlete’s needs. A coach has no products to offer other than invention not workouts, dogma, or philosophy. Knowledge is free and it is also freedom.

Nik:

I know you don’t like what Carl said, but sometimes you have to put things behind you and move on. If you let what Carl said about the video of your testing session continue to cloud your judgment when he is more right than wrong about another topic it only hurts you in the end. If I let my disagreements with Evan cloud my judgment and opinions on other topics we agree upon then I am only hurting myself and the same goes for Evan. I don’t always agree with Carl as evident in my defending you against him and what he saw in a testing session video. Anyways, that’s my .02

All:

While James may think the language has been combative and unprofessional, that is his opinion and own subjective thought just as it is mine that it is not. Some people want impartiality without accountability or responsibility. Accountability is not just references to fall back on when all systems fail it is also initiative and willingness to alter course through pro-active thought (applied conjecture) while taking the blame if you fail no matter what. Responsibility is not just to inform and warn but to dissent and protect as well. If what was really offered was a cheap shot, it is not. A cheap shot is launching his salvo, then shutting off James ability to respond.

Participant
    burkhalter on #81412

Perhaps he will reconsider.

I am not sure I see what pushed him away but I do see him as an asset. He was fun to discuss training with. If it is Carl who pushed him away, I can see Carl being a tad argumentative but you have to take it with a grain of salt. James may have taken those with somewhat differing ideas (not truly opposing ideas if you ask me) a little personal.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #81413

It is the way Carl does it! Not what he does. He is just a bitter, angry, arrogant guy who is very quick to talk shit. And by putting it on the front page all the time it just makes him look really sad.

Any respected coach/ researcher which James was wouldn’t want to deal with that. Why should he? Throughout that instance it is obvious who the better man is.

Carl didn’t even appologize to James and probably actually feels good about himself now.

Participant
    star61 on #81414

I’ve stayed out of these recent threads with James to see how things played out. It does not surprise me at all to see that he is already pulling out. I have been interacting/reading/following James for a few years and have recognized for some time that, if he chose to, he could be a great asset in any community such as this because he is very well read and possesses above average intelligence. However, it takes more than that to be a contributing member of a forum such as this, and this has never seemed to be a primary goal with James.

James’ primary goal, on every forum and venue where he posts, is one of self promotion. He does this not only by posting long-winded and overblown claims of his “vast” experience, knowledge and ability while endlessly promoting his DVDs, lectures and articles, but also by constantly denigrating well respected coaches, insulting forum members, castigating American sports science and scientists in general, and basically claiming that he, and a small handful of eastern bloc sports scientists, are the only people “fully informed” and therefore capable to coach at the elite level.

If you review the threads with a careful eye, you will see that James is always the first to question a poster’s experience, age, intelligence, knowledge etc. Regardless of what contribution James could make here, it’s difficult to swallow his unbelievable pretentiousness, incredibly arrogant and dismissive attitude, and endless self-promotion.

Let him go.

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #81415

Star61:

I am glad you posted what you did. We’ve even had our differences over what is respectable/appropriate and not in a forum. Although I don’t wish to let anyone go, if he is to carry on like Dr. Yessis did in the Supertraining thread act as if we didn’t give enough opportunities to present his side even if it is to sell his books, dvds, etc… you are right it is best for him to leave, because you are not willing to defend against critics your products, beliefs, philosophy then you have are going to have problems selling products through this site.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.