Elite Athletes Powerclean …

Participant
        dan1990 on #15404

here is some of the powercleans of the top athletes…IF bodyweight stays the same and you increase your powerclean this equals increased performance??
        ..list some other elite athletes numbers here if you know any…..

Name Time BW P.Cl Ratio

Jonathan Edwards 72 150 2.08
        Mark McKoy 13.08 78 150 1.92
        Ryan Scott 10.28 88 150 1.70
        DW 88 150 1.70
        Colin Jackson 12.91 74 142.5 1.93
        Jason Gardener 9.98 74 140 1.89
        Daniel Plummer 10.33 88 140 1.59
        James Ellington 10.38 82 137.5 1.68
        Duncan Malins 13.76 81 137.5 1.70
        Craig Pickering 10.14 83 140 1.68
        Dominic Girdler 13.78 85 135 1.59
        Chris Baillie 13.44 75 132.5 1.77
        Will Sharman 13.49 81 130 1.60
        Marlon Devonish 10.06 82 130 1.59
        Chris Lambert 20.34 85 130 1.53
        Mark Lewis-Francis 10.04 90 130 1.44
        Richard Alleyn 13.71 81 125 1.54
        Dale Garland 49.79 79 120 1.52
        David Hughes 13.57 85 120 1.41
        Allan Scott 13.62 81 120 1.48
        Harry Aikines-Aryeetey 10.35 83 150 1.80
        Nick Gayle 13.95 86 115 1.34
        Rob Newton 13.36 87 115 1.32
        Andy Turner 13.27 75 110 1.47
        Steve Green 50.17/46.69 72 105 1.46
        Leon Baptiste 10.33 79 125 1.58
        Christian Olsson 73 150 2.05
        Nick Newman 79 143 1.81
        Donovan Bailey 9.84 93 165 1.77
        Bruny Surin 9.84 86 170 1.97
        Glenroy Gilbert 10.10 79 170 2.15
        Darren Campbell 10.04 80 135 1.68
        Fabrice Lappiere 8.34 67 105 1.56
        Bryan Clay 84 152 1.81

• Nick Newman
        Participant
        Nick Newman on #78599

Awesome info!

Where the heck you get that from…

can you add me please – 1.8!

Or add me when i jumped over 7.80m. Thats fine!

Participant
        dan1990 on #78601

Awesome info!

Where the heck you get that from…

can you add me please – 1.8!

Or add me when i jumped over 7.80m. Thats fine!

yeah sure….315 powerclean 175 weight am i right….you know of anybody elses powerclean or squat??I heard dwain chambers can squat 200kg atg for 5 reps??not sure if this is true…Nick i know your from the uk ..do you know if its true??just found info on darren campbell uk sprinter 200kg squat i thinks he weighs about 80kg

https://www.muscle-fitness.com.au/27.html

Participant
        maris on #81607

If you want some more updated info I can give you it.

I know Ryan Scott has done 155 as has Tim Abeyie.
        Harry AA is 150
        Leon Baptiste is 125

Participant
        dan1990 on #81609

If you want some more updated info I can give you it.

I know Ryan Scott has done 155 as has Tim Abeyie.
        Harry AA is 150
        Leon Baptiste is 125

yeah thanks …you got anymore info post here

Participant
        sizerp on #81623

This is the only thread I think these videos fit in:

and

Participant
        Thomas White on #81627

I can tell you for sure that Donovan cleaned 165 kg while Bruny and Glenroy were both in the 170-175 kg range.

• Nick Newman
        Participant
        Nick Newman on #81629

Who are these guys?

Ollsons clean is very surprising

Participant
        utfootball4 on #81630

I can tell you for sure that Donovan cleaned 165 kg while Bruny and Glenroy were both in the 170-175 kg range.

Big time cleans!!

• Nick Newman
        Participant
        Nick Newman on #81631

[quote author="Thomas White" date="1239866005"]I can tell you for sure that Donovan cleaned 165 kg while Bruny and Glenroy were both in the 170-175 kg range.

Big time cleans!![/quote]

Amazing cleans…who are they?

Bailey, Surin and?

Participant
        davan on #81632

You’re kidding, right?

Donovan Bailey
        Bruny Surin
        Glenroy Gilbert

Participant
        Thomas White on #81634

Nope, did some work with their strength coach and those figures came straight from his mouth!

• Nick Newman
        Participant
        Nick Newman on #81635

Never heard of Gilbert…my bad…

I just find it hard to believe Bailey could do that…Surin i believe..

Participant
        davan on #81637

When I said kidding, I meant for Nik not knowing the other two (considering they each have 3 golds @ Worlds or Olympis). The lifts are quite impressive, though not entirely surprised, based on what Pfaff has said elsewhere.

Participant
        Thomas White on #81638

He also confirmed that Donovan was the heaviest and that Glenroy was particularly strong due to his bobsledding background. Apparently they didn’t let him bench for around two years and emphasized snatches to reopen some fascial lines that had become restricted. Additionally he mentioned that they squatted quite a bit and very heavy at that!

Participant
        davan on #81639

Any word on their bodyweights and snatch numbers?

• Nick Newman
        Participant
        Nick Newman on #81640

When I said kidding, I meant for Nik not knowing the other two (considering they each have 3 golds @ Worlds or Olympis). The lifts are quite impressive, though not entirely surprised, based on what Pfaff has said elsewhere.

What are you talking about? I only didn’t know Gilbert..I have mentioned bailey many times on here and i have a book by Surin so whats the big deal exactly?

I still have no clue who gilber is…and really don’t care…

DO you know who Roberto Cocco is?

Participant
        Thomas White on #81641

Donovan was around 200, Dan said he was 204 I believe. Bruny was around 190-195 although he looked much bigger. I didn’t hear about any of their snatch numbers but the athletes that he had been working with for around 6 weeks displayed very good technique for team-sport athletes and were in the 90-95 kg. for work sets on the snatch.

Participant
        davan on #81642

Nik, relax. Take a breath, not everything needs to be so serious.

Thomas, thanks for the info. Those are some big snatches for work sets.

Participant
        Thomas White on #81643

Glenroy Gilbert is a former Canadian sprinter and bobsledder. He is probably most famous for his scorching 2nd leg in Atlanta, I believe he split 9.02 and opened up a wide margin for the Canadian victory.

• Nick Newman
        Participant
        Nick Newman on #81644

Trust me, i didnt think it was…it wasn’t me who made a comment about someone not knowing someone…

• Nick Newman
        Participant
        Nick Newman on #81645

Glenroy Gilbert is a former Canadian sprinter and bobsledder. He is probably most famous for his scorching 2nd leg in Atlanta, I believe he split 9.02 and opened up a wide margin for the Canadian victory.

Thanks dude…i remember that race…Bailey’s split would have been better right if he didnt ease up?

Participant
        Thomas White on #81646

I think that DB split 8.86 or something to that effect even with the celebration. He later regretted it and apologized to his teammates for squandering an opportunity at the WR.

Participant
        maris on #81651

Craig Pickering, 140kg yesterday.

I am really not too sure how much a max power clean impacts performance. Dave Lease once told me that Jason was running better off cleaning slightly less. I am not sure how he knew it was down to the cleans specifically, but Dave is quite methodical and would have taken everything into consideration.

Just another stat aswell, Darren Campbell’s best was 135kg.

Participant
        dan1990 on #81666

powerclean are not essential..but i like them i think they are fun lifts to do..i think they corrolate well with increased performance…but should the weight room just be used for max strength and the track for RFD speed power etc…i think the powerclean suits the taller athletes more so than squatting..shorter athletes are better at squatting than powercleaning..any idea what jason was squatting or was he only doing oly lifts

Participant
        maris on #81672

I’m not sure what Jason was squatting. I know Dave didn’t give that as much focus as he did the cleans. I may be able to find out what sort of numbers he was putting up in the squats.

Participant
        dan1990 on #81676

I’m not sure what Jason was squatting. I know Dave didn’t give that as much focus as he did the cleans. I may be able to find out what sort of numbers he was putting up in the squats.

who is dave..is that david woodhouse…

Participant
        maris on #81679

[quote author="maris" date="1239918261"]I’m not sure what Jason was squatting. I know Dave didn’t give that as much focus as he did the cleans. I may be able to find out what sort of numbers he was putting up in the squats.

who is dave..is that david woodhouse…[/quote]

Dave Lease

Participant
        jock1310 on #83531

if olsson really has cleaned 150kg then i think thats the most impressive one on there with his levers. Surely edwards is still the man on power to weight ratio though.

Participant
        dan1990 on #83542

if olsson really has cleaned 150kg then i think thats the most impressive one on there with his levers. Surely edwards is still the man on power to weight ratio though.

yeah that is true…i dont think long levers are much of a disadvantage in the clean..it is in the squat tho

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #83569

Most (but not all) of the best Olympic liters tend to be average or short limbed with average to long torsos. While there could be some other issues complicating this relationship I think it’s actually fairly straight forward- shorter levers = better weight room numbers. This kind of brings up an important point that I’ve been thinking about lately…that weight room numbers won’t be as indicative to success for taller runners and jumpers as they are to their shorter counterparts.

ELITETRACK Founder

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #83570

Agreed. 150kg clean is crazy strong for a guy that tall and lanky.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        Alex Andre on #101688

Most (but not all) of the best Olympic liters tend to be average or short limbed with average to long torsos. While there could be some other issues complicating this relationship I think it’s actually fairly straight forward- shorter levers = better weight room numbers. This kind of brings up an important point that I’ve been thinking about lately…that weight room numbers won’t be as indicative to success for taller runners and jumpers as they are to their shorter counterparts.

I read somewhere that to compare with a person of average height you can add 10% to your lifts if you are 190cm or taller, and 20% if you’re 198cm or taller. So Olsson’s 150kg PC is the equivalent of a shorter athlete of the same BW having a PC of around 165kg, making his ratio that much more impressive.

Does that adjustment sound accurate to you? At 194cm, I tend to mentally add 15% to my lifts when I compare with other guys who are 170-185cm or whatever.

Participant
        comando-joe on #101690

[quote author="Mike Young" date="1242734077"]Most (but not all) of the best Olympic liters tend to be average or short limbed with average to long torsos. While there could be some other issues complicating this relationship I think it’s actually fairly straight forward- shorter levers = better weight room numbers. This kind of brings up an important point that I’ve been thinking about lately…that weight room numbers won’t be as indicative to success for taller runners and jumpers as they are to their shorter counterparts.

I read somewhere that to compare with a person of average height you can add 10% to your lifts if you are 190cm or taller, and 20% if you’re 198cm or taller. So Olsson’s 150kg PC is the equivalent of a shorter athlete of the same BW having a PC of around 165kg, making his ratio that much more impressive.

Does that adjustment sound accurate to you? At 194cm, I tend to mentally add 15% to my lifts when I compare with other guys who are 170-185cm or whatever.[/quote]

You only add your numbers by 15% boost your ego. Way too many variables to say this. Here’s just one in my case, i am better than some guys i train with at the same height, same weight but i have slightly bigger quads and glutes whereas they have a slightly bigger upper body. Olsson can’t clean 150, looks at some vid on youtube on him hang cleaning 80, even on that weight his legs are starting to drift to the sides.

Let’s put it this way, WR clean and jerk is 197kg for 69BW by a chinese guy. This is likely worth a 175-80 power clean, then this guy was only 163cm tall making him much more efficient to lift than olsson at 190 something. The chinese guy lifts stupid amounts each week and olsson wouldnt/couldnt. And according to your theory if they were equal height Olsson would actually have a higher powerclean than the WR holder @ same weight. Then Theres the subject of all lifters being on all sorts of drugs. Maybe olsson did a clean pull then claimed on a good day he could catch it, i know idiots that do this.

Participant
        Alex Andre on #101693

You only add your numbers by 15% boost your ego. Way too many variables to say this. Here’s just one in my case, i am better than some guys i train with at the same height, same weight but i have slightly bigger quads and glutes whereas they have a slightly bigger upper body. Olsson can’t clean 150, looks at some vid on youtube on him hang cleaning 80, even on that weight his legs are starting to drift to the sides.

Let’s put it this way, WR clean and jerk is 197kg for 69BW by a chinese guy. This is likely worth a 175-80 power clean, then this guy was only 163cm tall making him much more efficient to lift than olsson at 190 something. The chinese guy lifts stupid amounts each week and olsson wouldnt/couldnt. And according to your theory if they were equal height Olsson would actually have a higher powerclean than the WR holder @ same weight. Then Theres the subject of all lifters being on all sorts of drugs. Maybe olsson did a clean pull then claimed on a good day he could catch it, i know idiots that do this.

I’m not saying that world records should be calibrated to height, just that height is a factor to consider when evaluating lifting stats, just like bodyweight is.

Who would you want on your sprint or jumps roster: someone with a PC of 140kg at 80kg and 180cm for a ratio of 1.75, or someone having a PC of 140kg at 85kg and 195cm for a ratio of 1.65? I’d rather have the guy who can lift the same weight but is 15cm taller.

If you add 10% to the 195cm athlete’s PC, his ratio becomes 1.81 (154/85). I think that is more indicative of the relative power between the two athletes. You wouldn’t agree?

Participant
        lorien on #101695

Here’s a picture of Olsson cleaning 142kg (May 6 2008). If I remember correctly he improved to 145kg later the same spring/summer. Now, when speculating about his comeback this year, it was reported that he at least was stronger than before (150kg was reported as his PR, as of 2010). I think this was also confirmed by his coach in another interview.

The link: https://www.expressen.se/sport/friidrott/1.1149501/olsson-redo-for-os-siktar-pa-guld

• Nick Newman
        Participant
        Nick Newman on #101697

Yeah i have no doubt he could clean that much. I have cleaned that pretty much and i don’t get the physio, diet and anything else he wants like him. And he’s an amazing athlete also so…

Participant
        lorien on #101698

Here’s a video of Olsson cleaning (from a training camp):

• Nick Newman
        Participant
        Nick Newman on #101699

Haha! Gotta love that….the same leg action during the catch as i have…

it’s been so detrimental to his performance i see.

Participant
        comando-joe on #101708

I cant trust pictures, but this is the vid i saw, i assumed this was only 80kg because we have the same type of weights at my track. 2x massive 20’s and 2x 10’s. Then again it could be bigger plates. Maybe hes heavier than the 73kg hes quoted on iaaf. Ive also seen 70kg quoted before. He is similar to Tomlinsons height and build and im sure Tomlinson was 83-4 range? I could believe a 142@83 from him.

Participant
        lorien on #101716

I think the issue is fairly uncontroversial: we knew already in 2006 that he managed 140kg (middle of April, in Monaco)- he was somewhat lighter then than now. I think he’s slightly less than 80kg when competing today.

Keep in mind that he had to alter his training quite substantially when his hamstring circus started in 2007. Less high intensity jumping and sprinting, and probably more weight training.

In general, we cannot trust the IAAF-figures when it comes to bodyweight; they are usually entered in the database when an athlete first enters the international arena, and they almost never change after that.

• Nick Newman
        Participant
        Nick Newman on #101718

What does build have to do with it Joe?

I know tons of athlete’s who are my build who can’t clean what i do…and the same build as you who can’t do what you do etc etc etc…

Everyone is different.

Participant
        comando-joe on #101720

What does build have to do with it Joe?

I know tons of athlete’s who are my build who can’t clean what i do…and the same build as you who can’t do what you do etc etc etc…

Everyone is different.

I should have explained better. I meant purely weight and not performance when i compared him to Tomlinson. I couldnt believe a 6’4? guy who isnt a streak of piss is 70-73kg. That’s all i was saying and Tomlinson who looks pretty much same build/height is 10kg heavier than Olsson qutoed weight. I know Tomlinson said he cleaned 137.5 but only does hang now @ 120 max just for abit of info, well at least the beggining of this year it was.

• Nick Newman
        Participant
        Nick Newman on #101721

Well, Tomlinson is a good athlete of course. But, i would think that Olsson was a much higher class athlete than Tomlinson was…that being said, if Tomo could clean 137.5 then Olsson lifting more doesn’t surprise me.

Participant
        jock1310 on #102536

spoke to lapierre the other day, he cleans 110 just so you know.

Viewing 44 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.