Dymaxion Sleep

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #13226

Here's an interesting article from the Monday, Oct. 11, 1943 issue of Time:Sleep is just a bad habit. So said Socrates and Samuel Johnson, and so for years has thought grey-haired Richard Buckminster Fuller, futurific inventor of the Dymaxion* house (TIME, Aug. 22, 1932), the Dymaxion car and the Dymaxion globe. Fuller made a deliberate attempt to break the sleep habit, with excellent results.

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    winnesota on #67977

Very Intriguing

# Photographs and electric devices to record movements show that the average sleeper, who changes position at least 40 times during an eight-hour stretch, is quietest in the first two hours, then grows progressively more restless.

-I go to sleep on my back; wake up on my stomach.

# At Colgate University sleep investigator Donald A. Laird found that people awakened after four hours' sleep were just as alert, well-coordinated physically and resistant to fatigue as those who slept eight hours (but they did lose in accuracy and concentration). 

-I feel extremely groggy even when I wake up after 6-7 hours most times(particularly early morning)…

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #65613

I've gotten by for most of my adult life on 4.5-6 hours of sleep a night. I definitely know that I feel better with 4.5, 5.5, or 7 hours of sleep than any interval in between that. I've also found that on the rare ocassions that I need to sleep less than 4 hours that I typically feel ok. I know this is unusual but there are quite a few people who are similar.

Not optimal for most, but indicates there aren't really hard and fast rules that can be applied equally to everyone.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    mortac8 on #65614

there are a bunch of video logs on youtube of people trying this.  they all look like they haven't slept in 5 about days after day 5

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #65615

I once heard that the __________ (insert Eastern Bloc country here) swim team experimented with alternating 2 hours of sleeping with 2 hours of training for 24 hour cycles. This was likely propaganda or urban legend but perhaps it was based on this 'logic'.

ELITETRACK Founder

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #65616

I wanted to note that I AM NOT ADVOCATING Dymaxion Sleep….I just thought it might be a thought provoking discussion point, especially given the date of the research.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    mortac8 on #65617

what do you mean you feel better on 4.5 5.5 or 7hr sleep?  what does this correspond to? sleep cycles?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #65618

what do you mean you feel better on 4.5 5.5 or 7hr sleep?  what does this correspond to? sleep cycles?

Sorry for the misunderstanding….I mean that I feel better with 4.5 hours than 5 or 6 or even 8. I think it's related to 'catching' rather than interrupting my sleep cycles.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    winnesota on #65619

[quote author="mortac8" date="1184641041"]

Sorry for the misunderstanding….I mean that I feel better with 4.5 hours than 5 or 6 or even 8. I think it's related to 'catching' rather than interrupting my sleep cycles.
    [/quote]

You must be in between REM cycles at those intervals…check this out Mike, you match up perfectly!

https://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/wblhockey14/sleep-cycle-450X264.jpg%5B/img%5D

It should be known that as one gets older less sleep is needed than compared to when one is younger(I think it's a somewhat negative linear graph starting at around 16 hours for newborns and progressing downwards)

with that said, everyones sleep needs differ because of a HUGE variety of things

Participant
    winnesota on #65620

By the way, I added a poll, I think it will be interesting to see the results from the athletes on this site…

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #65621

I've gotten by for most of my adult life on 4.5-6 hours of sleep a night. I definitely know that I feel better with 4.5, 5.5, or 7 hours of sleep than any interval in between that. I've also found that on the rare ocassions that I need to sleep less than 4 hours that I typically feel ok. I know this is unusual but there are quite a few people who are similar.

Not optimal for most, but indicates there aren't really hard and fast rules that can be applied equally to everyone.

The night before I qualified for nationals I got less than 4 hours of intermittent sleep. I would sleep about 30 min, wake up for 10 or so, fall asleep again. That went on all night ( I was sleeping on a floor next to an air conditioner, every time it turned on I woke up). The lack of sleep didn't seem to make any difference at all in my performance.

Participant
    mortac8 on #65622

Cool graph winnesota!  I always wondered why I seem to wake up about 5hr after going to bed then go back to sleep again.

rice773 on #65623

REM cycles become progressively shorter (1.5 hrs at first down to 40min) as the hours pass and they certainly don't end at 7 hours as the graph shows

Participant
    winnesota on #65624

[quote author="mike" date="1184640480"]

The night before I qualified for nationals I got less than 4 hours of intermittent sleep. I would sleep about 30 min, wake up for 10 or so, fall asleep again. That went on all night ( I was sleeping on a floor next to an air conditioner, every time it turned on I woke up). The lack of sleep didn't seem to make any difference at all in my performance.
    [/quote]

That is crazy.  I find that most of the time when I get too much sleep I actually tend to do poorer in sports as opposed to getting too few hours of sleep.

Participant
    winnesota on #65625

REM cycles become progressively shorter (1.5 hrs at first down to 40min) as the hours pass and they certainly don't end at 7 hours as the graph shows

Actually, REM sleep starts at a few minutes and progressively gets longer as sleep does(not well represented in graph).  As, you can see in the graph, NREM or Non-REM sleep(stages 1-4) starts at around 90-120 and then gets shorter.

This graph ends at 7 hours because that is what they choose the sleep period to be, certainly everybody doesn't sleep for 7 hours as this is just an example.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.