Does caffeine make you cramp up?

Participant
    Patrick_Bateman on #17269

Ive been drinking alot of coffee since it feels good when it gets cold out and almost died squatting

Participant
    Irish100m on #104530

i’ve had cramps off excessive caffiene and ended up tearing my hamstring, whether it was down to the caffiene i am not sure. a small amount shouldnt affect you though

Participant
    Patrick_Bateman on #104621

i’ve had cramps off excessive caffiene and ended up tearing my hamstring, whether it was down to the caffiene i am not sure. a small amount shouldnt affect you though

yea apparently it flushes calcium into the muscles making them prone to spasming and cramps. Ive been keeping at least 90 minutes between caffeine intake and the start of any intense exercise.

Participant
    Mccabe on #106156

I drink about 3 cups of coffee a day and have never experienced cramp, but then again I have never experienced cramp! Maybe a more rigorous warm up prior to squatting on cold days?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #106165

[quote author="Irish100m" date="1294366880"]i’ve had cramps off excessive caffiene and ended up tearing my hamstring, whether it was down to the caffiene i am not sure. a small amount shouldnt affect you though

yea apparently it flushes calcium into the muscles making them prone to spasming and cramps. Ive been keeping at least 90 minutes between caffeine intake and the start of any intense exercise.[/quote]Are you sure? CA+ in the muscle shouldn’t cause cramping and might even prevent it. I’ve never heard of caffeine doing this. Can you provide a reference. Likewise, I’ve never seen caffeine linked to cramping.

The only thing I can think of is caffeine has definitely been shown to delay exhaustion and permit greater motor unit recruitment. Perhaps, being able to work harder, longer is what’s causing the cramps.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Craig Pickering on #106170

Ive been told by a couple of nutritionists that caffeine increases Ca+ levels into the muscle, causing cramps. Havent seen a paper on it though, although I also havent looked for one.

People think that caffeine causes a cramp because it is a diuretic. However, its only a weak one, and so long as you take it in liquid form (like a sports drink, or cup of coffee) you are fine.

Participant
    Craig Pickering on #106171

Did a quick google search on caffeine and calcium release:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1159305/pdf/jphysiol00283-0006.pdf <— long and very heavy, but mentions caffeine induced ca+ release

https://www.handcycleracing.com/Caffeine.htm <– also mentions Ca+ release into muscles upon caffeine ingestion

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1195575/pdf/jphysiol00654-0561.pdf <– this one mentions increased ca+ sensitivity from caffeine.

So it seems that caffeine either increases calcium sensitivity, release, or maybe both.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #106172

Thanks for sharing. Never doubted Caffeine and CA+ release….well documented there. I had just never heard that it would 1) increase CA+ levels IN TO muscle 2) that it would do so in any significant acute affect; and 3) that this would increase the likelihood of cramping. The 2nd link you provided indicated that it does 1 but only addresses it from a performance enhancement standpoint (and perhaps indirectly points to what I mentioned above).

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Craig Pickering on #106175

Something else which I have read is that Taurine has a mediating effect on the caffeine-calcium connection, which I guess is why is forms a major part of Red Bull – to help prevent any negative effects.

Participant
    sizerp on #106320

Something else which I have read is that Taurine has a mediating effect on the caffeine-calcium connection, which I guess is why is forms a major part of Red Bull – to help prevent any negative effects.

From the abstract of this study it seems taurine has an effect on calcium regardless of the presence of caffeine:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8692051

Although the amino acid taurine can increase systolic calcium transients in cardiac cells (and thus has positive inotropic activity), [color=brown]it has other actions which tend to reduce [Ca2+]i[/color]. Indeed, in animal or clinical studies, taurine lowers elevated blood pressure, retards cholesterol-induced atherogenesis, prevents arrhythmias and stabilizes platelets–effects parallel to those of magnesium.

Participant
    Craig Pickering on #106389

So if you took caffeine and taurine together there would be some sort of balance created?

Participant
    oshikake@ymail.com on #116132

Participant
    cdnsprinter on #116139

all I know is that every time I took a caffeine pill before a race hoping to get a boost, it completely ruined everything.I never used caffeine pre-comp before last summer.Since I never liked coffee I decided to experience it in pills form either 30,60 or 90 minutes before the race.

1st time I felt unbelievable during warm-up like ”huge PB coming today!”and my nervous system instantly just completely shut down just before the race.The race felt literaly like I was running a marathon trying to sprint.At the time I found very odd and had no good explanation for it.

Next 3 occasions, I got either severe calf cramps near the end of warm-up and/or during the race and 1 hamstring tear that either ruined my indoor season and one important race, the other one was not, but still…

So each time with the same results wether it be indoors,outdoors,and several weeks or months apart, injury free for a long time before every occasion, well hydrated,well rested,wasn’t stiff or overtrained, well warmed up and etc…we looked at everything and it’s the only constant we found that was left.

I never ever got any cramps before while warming up,competing or during training.

Bottom line:caffeine before a race,never again for me.

Participant
    Irish100m on #116141

depends how much you take, i’ve experienced cramps off caffeine but i mustve had over 350mg in my system

i’ve found 200mg gets me a buzz without cramping

Participant
    cdnsprinter on #116144

that was at 200mg on each occasion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.