Diet of Sprinters

Participant
    Zack Trapp on #18145

I always find myself wondering about my diet. I usaully am very strict about what I eat, and maybe have something good(Unhealthy) every two or three weeks. I have read, however, that some sprinters eat whatever they want whenever. Can they because of how intense they train? Is the diet of a sprinter constricted to just a few foods? If so, what? Supplemets?

Participant
    Craig Pickering on #114261

Im not convinced – I doubt you could get a proper ratio of nutrients from McDonalds due to the high levels of omega-6 that would be found there. There is unlikely to be decent levels of quality protein either.

From my experience – most sprinters watch what they eat, to some extent. If you are super talented, and will win regardless of what you do (i.e. Usain Bolt), then great, eat what you like. If you want to get better recovery and performance, get a little bit more into your diet. It doesn’t have to be restricted to just a few foods. The lower your body fat, the more you can get away with unhealthy foods if you so wish. But you should learn to enjoy healthy food.

Heres an example of my diet, just to show you that you aren’t limited in what you eat:

Breakfast- 6 egg omlette
    Post-Training – Protein-carb shake ( For your carbs you could eat berries, or if you really wanted a small pack of sweets – Haribo are good for this).
    Lunch – Fish and Salad and nuts
    Snack – Nuts and protein shake
    Dinner – Can be a mix of things, chicken curry, chicken fajita mix, steak etc. with salad or veg.

If you wanted to get more serious you could go into even more detail.

Participant
    Craig Pickering on #114263

Double post, sorry

richard-703 on #114265

Craig,
    Do you get many carbs before training? (your first mention of carbs is post workout).
    What % carbs would you say you take overall?

Thanks,

Richard

Participant
    Craig Pickering on #114266

Ive experimenting with the Anabolic Diet recently, which is very low carb/high fat. For carbs, I often use rice for breakfast (so 3 eggs and 50g rice). I would guess my overall carb % is less than 15%. This might sound weird, but I have actually been feeling more energetic as a result of this. I have been consuming over 3500kcal per day and have dropped my skin folds by 40mm and added 5kgs of weight.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #114267

I’m the total opposite. If I’m hungry, I eat. I eat big. I’ll eat right before bed, I’ll eat whenever.

Breakfast is usually a light bowl of oatmeal and coffee. Between breakfast and lunch I’ll have 2 PB&J’s. Lunch is a bunch of salad, veggies, and something with meat and carbs. Snack between lunch and workout is a PB&J or something similar. Dinner is quite honestly anything that I am up for. 2 steaks, 3/4 of a pizza, whatever. It’s usually massive. Pre bed snack is usually something like nachos (heavy on the cheese) and a glass of milk.

The only things I actively stay away from are preservatives, fake sugar, and MSG. Everything else though is fair game. Diet is one thing I’ve never really cared about simply because I work full time and I’m busting my butt for hours on the track every day. I figure, if I’m hungry, I should eat. So I do.

Participant
    Mccabe on #114270

Was the 6 egg omlette a typo Craig? I am in Josh’s camp in regards to eat when ever hungry, especially during winter.

Participant
    comando-joe on #114279

HA! Don’t listen to TypeIIpersona.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #114280

Yup, clearly Craig doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Quit being a pro athlete, Craig! You don’t know crap!

Seriously though, would changing my diet help me? Probably. But I don’t have enough time to fuss about my diet. Craig does have the time to make sure his diet is perfect, so he does. I would too if I could.

Participant
    comando-joe on #114282

[quote author="Josh Hurlebaus" date="1327374351"]Yup, clearly Craig doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Seriously though, would changing my diet help me? Probably. But I don’t have enough time to fuss about my diet. Craig does have the time to make sure his diet is perfect, so he does. I would too if I could.

Many pro athletes do dumb shit and Craig doesn’t know nutrition. I wish there was way for me to prove to you my crenditials, but for all you know, I could be some smuck making up stuff on the net pretending to be someone else, but I won’t go there.[/quote]

Come on then, give us some background info. I’d rather get my protein from whey than mcdonalds.

Participant
    Mccabe on #114283

Why don’t you go ahead and try and prove your credentials…

*edit me and Joe wrote the same thing at the same time, think that means you have to give us something!

Participant
    Derrick Brito on #114285

[quote author="Josh Hurlebaus" date="1327374351"]Yup, clearly Craig doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Many pro athletes do dumb shit and Craig doesn’t know nutrition. I wish there was way for me to prove to you my crenditials, but for all you know, I could be some smuck making up stuff on the net pretending to be someone else, but I won’t go there.[/quote]

You don’t need to prove anything. Simply stating background info would be fine. It’s not hard to find just about everyone on this forum, but you don’t use your real name. And let’s be honest. Someone that doesn’t yet know what rest periods to use for flying 20s and thinks speed endurance is useless doesn’t strike me as someone I would take advice about training from.

Participant
    Irish100m on #114286

josh, i wouldn’t eat that much before you go to bed cos then you don’t burn that off it just sits on you

i used to think, ‘i’m thin, i train 6 tiems a day, i can eat whatever’ but since i’ve started cutting out the likes of chocolate and crisps, unneccessary cheese (on spag bol, a subway sandwich etc), changing to skimmed milk, eating more veg etc I’ve felt a whole lot better. I’ve put a stone on since september but i don’t feel any heavier as I’ve lost body fat and recruited RAW LEAN MUSCLE MASS (COMEATMEBRO)

Don’t drink alcohol, don’t eat chocolate – they are possibly the two worst substances you can consume. Switch from regular tea or coffee to rooibos or green tea as they have more antioxidants and in the case of rooibos is caffiene free

Participant
    oshikake@ymail.com on #114290

Participant
    Mccabe on #114292

That was taken well out of context.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.