Did you have to play the game?

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Vern Gambetta
        Participant
        Vern Gambetta on #14753

As an athletic development coach how often have I heard the lament- How can you prepare us you never played the game? I have heard that more times than I care to mention. Personally I think one of the worst qualifications for being an athletic development (S&C coach for the uninitiated) is to have played the game, especially if you were a star at the sport. This goes back to my first days as a

Continue reading…

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #71380

As an athletic development coach how often have I heard the lament- How can you prepare us you never played the game? I have heard that more times than I care to mention. Personally I think one of the worst qualifications for being an athletic development (S&C;coach for the uninitiated) is to have played the game, especially if you were a star at the sport. This goes back to my first days as a

Continue reading…

An addendum to this one is “Do top level athletes make the best coaches?” All the motor learning research suggests that the answer is no. In many cases, the highest performers have no idea what they are doing that is actually (rather than what they perceive) making them better. Also, a big part of being an effective coach is being a good teacher something that isn’t even remotely related to being a great athlete. Most of the great coaches I know were former mediocre athletes or in many cases didn’t do the actual event / sport. The fact that come at it with an open mind allows them to not get boxed in to what has always been done and be skeptical of training and coaching methods.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        Chad Williams on #71383

It comes down to what you spend your time doing. Are you becoming a student of the sport by reading, talking, researching, studying? A great athlete can sometimes do that, but mostly they are robots following the training and advice of the coach. Which, I don’t necessarily deem bad. A great athlete needs to know and trust their coach and believe in what the coach has to offer. If they are reading X’s training or Y’s training and start questioning the coach, problems could arise.

Participant
        mortac8 on #71386

Like Vern said: try winning an argument with someone who was good at the event being discussed… ooooh boy.

Participant
        ex400 on #71387

I find that I am a better coach on events/skills that I have no experience with than I am with the skills I actually competed successfully with. I think it is because I have been forced to really study the biomechanics involved in something that I did not commit to muscle memory years ago.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.