DavidG’s Sprint Training Log

Posted In: Training Journals

Participant
    David Gain on #186967

It’s difficult to tell how it helps during sessions as the effects are long term. It takes a few weeks for Creatine levels to return to normal after you stop taking it, so you can’t just stop for 1 session to see the difference. It does help gain muscle though, as I always weigh more after I stop taking it than I did before (after you subtract the difference from the water weight)

But despite the extra weight I don’t appear to be finding longer runs any more difficult than normal which is good!

Hard to tell what percentage is muscle/water/fat, but I am eating more than normal during this phase of my training to ensure my body is not short on energy/nutrients for muscle repair. When it is closer to outdoor season I will go back to my normal diet to make myself more lean for competitions and ensure I don’t have excess fat.

Participant
    rogiertetteroo@gmail.com on #186968

Quick reply, fast on and off the track I guess!

I have some other tricky questions (because not everyone reads about sprintbiomechanics)

From what ive read in literature, the role of the glutes in sprinting is quite controverial, what do you think? I think its THE muscle that works concentric to propel yourself forward. The hamstrings are more eccentric. Do you have glute specific excersise incorporated in your weighttraining?

I wonder about this, as im having the greatest difficulty in training my glutes myself. They hardly seem to fire in hip thrust, squats and RDL’s. Sprinters are often glute dominant, but im quaddominant 🙁 so my quads always want to take over.

Looking forward to your reply!

Participant
    David Gain on #186974

I think it’s a common misconception that athletes ‘push’ themselves down the track with their quads, rather that ‘pulling’ with their hamstrings.

However I’m not sure on the exact role of the glutes off the top of my head, I do have a copy of Dr. Ralph Mann’s ‘The Mechanics of Sprinting and Hurdling’ which I have read, that probably contains the answer though! You can tell from how developed they are on top athletes that they must play a prominent role in sprinting though.

There are two easy exercises you can do which target glutes, I have started doing these in my gym routine this winter.

The first one gives a better range of motion, while the second one has reduced ROM but allows you to go heavier with the weight…

Participant
    rogiertetteroo@gmail.com on #187099

Yeah, thanks for the excersises

You might not believe it, but I have been doing these and feel them mainly in my quads, lower back and hamstrings. So im still working on becoming more glute dominant by preactivation drills and relearning motorpatterns with my physiotherapist.

The perception of pushing down the track is all wrong indeed, you can check my youtube account: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClnK6iE30HHM72omNGg1jdw on which you can see some short slomo runs last summer. This used to be my technique, pushing with the quad rather than using glutes and hamstrings. I say “used” but im only sprinting for 3/4 year so I often fall back to my old sprintmechanics.

Would you reccommend the book of Ralph Mann. I did see a seminar of him on youtube where he was lecturing in front of students and talked about sprinting, training and he also used some of his former athletes as an example like donovan bailey.

Damn your bodytype, I weigh 73-75 kg with about 10% fat, but im only 175 cm and hardly ever lift weights so not strong at all. Being heavy isnt all that bad if you are also strong like Maurice greene, but Im not. I also think most sprinters are definitly lightweight prior to weightlifting

Participant
    David Gain on #187101

Sounds like perhaps you have what is called ‘muscle imbalance’ where if you naturally use the wrong muscle for an exerise/action, then it will take over from the correct one and become stronger that it should.

Looking at your running style, I think you your find Dr. Mann’s book very interesting. Particularly the part on frontside and backside mechanics.

To achieve maximum efficiency while sprinting, your foot should always contact the ground behind your centre of gravity, yours is too much infront so each step acts as a brake for a short time before pushing back.

You can see here the technique used by the worlds top sprinters in slow motion…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QrlPmK4B94

Participant
    rogiertetteroo@gmail.com on #187805

Thanks for the slow motion video, and for watching my sprint

My technique is has made a huge change already, although I still tend to fall back to bad habits every once in a while. Ill make a new video in a while.

How is your technique, do you have a slowmotion clip?
    I was wondering what your current pr’s are also

Rogier

Participant
    David Gain on #187846

Mine did too when I first started, at the beginning you can make big changes very quickly with some basic technique. It gets much harder to refine it as you train more though.

I have been told my technique is one of the mains reasons for my speed, because I’m not a very strong athlete. My start definitely needs some work though.

I don’t have any slow motion videos, but my YouTube channel has a few of my races on there… http://www.youtube.com/davidgain90

My times are:

60m – 7.02i
    100m – 10.85
    200m – 21.39
    400m – 49.19

Participant
    rogiertetteroo@gmail.com on #187879

You run a lot of 200m on the video, is that the distance you want to focus on.

I guess sprinting comes quite natural to you, since you say you are not that strong, but you are blazing fast. especially your maxV mechanics because the top speed seems to be your thing in most of the video’s

I really need to be overthinking the activity of my muscles I use in sprinting. It would be nice not having to be that conscious but as you saw from the video, sprinting is NOT natural to me;)

Participant
    David Gain on #187965

I normally do mostly 200m in the winter, but I will do more 60m this winter to practice my start in a competition environment. But overall 200m is my favourite event yes.

And as you said, my top speed is my strong point. As even in this video, I get a VERY slow start, and still run a good time. If I wasn’t so slow to react in that race it would have been a PB! I think I was distracted because the lane inside me was disqualified for a false start.

I’m the same with my start, I still have to think too much about what I’m doing, so I can either have good technique, or good speed, but not both at the same time. Hopefully by the time the outdoor season comes I will have fixed that though.

Participant
    David Gain on #188200

Wednesday 4th December
    4 lap slow jog
    30 minute warm up, drills and stretches etc.

3 sets: 4 x 150m @ Target 19.5s (8 minutes between sets, and a slow walk back + about 20-30 seconds between runs)

I thought that was going to be a killer session after doing dumbbell lunges, squats, calf raises and power cleans in the gym the night before. But I managed to complete the session and do all the runs in at least 19 seconds too.

Participant
    David Gain on #188204

Also just thought it was worth mentioning that after I had my 2 week track break at the end of September, I restarted my training with a new coach when I came back to the track.

Well, not a new coach as such. It’s the coach/group that I was already doing Saturday sessions and the odd session during the week with this year. But I now do all my track sessions there (Monday, Wednesday and Saturday).

The group I train with now is much more suited to my events/ability, couple of guys there who are able to stick with me in the training runs to make sure I’m not slacking. And I also have my training schedule at least a month in advance so I know exactly what sessions I’m doing on what days. Which comes in handy as I’ve got gym sessions scheduled in for Tuesdays and Thursdays, so it means I can make sure I can choose gym sessions based on what I’m doing on the track the following day.

The schedule also has rough target times for all the runs based on potential 100m time, so I set mine to 10.65, and so far have been able to match or beat the times in every session which is a good sign.

Participant
    rogiertetteroo@gmail.com on #189901

5 days of training, that sounds great David
    Do you choose your own work in the gym or is your coach also making the weighttraining program for you.
    No hard feelings between coaches I hope?:P

Participant
    David Gain on #190066

I definitely make sure I do the track sessions, but it’s hard to find time/energy to do both gym sessions as well because I have a physical job. Especially this time of year when I spend all day in a cold workshop too (I’m a metalwork engineer).

I normally choose my own workouts in the gym, so I can make sure I don’t do too much on muscles I used in the track session the day before, and to make sure I can do the next days track session too. But I do get guidance from my coach, and another sprinter in our group who is a physio/personal trainer.

I would hope he understands that the club I was training at just wasn’t the right place to be. There were only 2 sessions a week there, and as soon as it reached 8pm (when our sessions are due to finish), they switch the lights off and expect you to leave straight away! So I either have to miss my warm down/stretches, or miss the last 20-30 minutes of the session. Both of which are bad options!

Participant
    David Gain on #191320

Tuesday 10th December

Warm-up: 2 minutes rowing on hardest setting

Dumbbell Lunges: 3 x (6 x 60kg) (30kg each side) – 2 minutes between sets
    Leg Press: 6 x 90kg, 6 x 130kg, 10 x 160kg, 10 x 160kg – 2 minutes between sets
    Squats (Smith Machine): 4 x (6 x 80kg)

Wednesday 11th December

30 minute warm-up and drills/stretches

300m @ 83% (38.5s), 15 minute rest, 300m @ 83% (38.5s), 15 minute rest
    200m @ 70% (30.4s), 1 minute rest, 200m @ 70% (30.4s), 3 minute rest
    4 x 40m turn arounds, 20s to complete each run and be ready for the next one

Participant
    rogiertetteroo@gmail.com on #193500

Hey David,

Hmm I wonder if your weight training would be beneficial for your sprinting. You train with high volume which is a little bodybuilding style. Although, you cant train maximum strength and explosive strength all year round, maybe it is beneficial in the future. Whats your thought?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.