DavidG’s Progress Log

Posted In: Training Journals

Participant
    David Gain on #18659

I’ve put a bit of information about myself in thread already:
    https://elitetrack.com/forums/viewthread/11082/

But I thought I’d start a proper thread to let you know what I’ve been doing up until now, and how my times are coming along etc.

2008 (first year in U20 age group)

Not taking it too seriously at this time, just starting out and enjoying a good first year
    Training twice a week, 1.5hours per session

60i – 7.50 PB
    100 – 11.2 PB
    200 – 22.3 PB (club record)
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

2009 (second year in U20 age group)

Not entirely sure what happened this year, didn’t manage to beat or even equal my previous years times, which at that stage I should have done.

Still training twice a week, 1.5hours per session

60i – 7.34 PB (club record)
    100 – 11.3
    200 – 22.4
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

2010 (first year in U23 age group)

Improved PBs for both my main events by a good amount, didn’t do any 60s though this season for some reason

60i – N/A
    100 – 10.9 PB
    200 – 22.0 PB

2011 (second year in U23 age group)

Took another good amount of my 200 time

Concentrating mostly on 200 from this point onwards, although still trying to improve 100 aswell

Starting to go down the track on a Saturday every now and then to pull tyres or just do some extra runs, but still only training twice a week.

Joined another forum and after reading a blog by Craig Pickering I started to use the controlled dehydration technique during competitions.

Also adjusted my start position based on some settings he gave me, which I was using when I ran the 200 PB

60i – 7.25 PB
    100 – 11.07/11.0
    200 – 21.84/21.8 PB

2012 (third and final year in U23 age group)

This year has been the best by far, running huge PBs in the 200m, and getting invited to the Olympic Trials, as well as doing pretty well at various other big competitions such as the U20/U23 England Championships/Word Trials and McCain Birmingham Games.

Initially took my 200m time down from 21.84 to 21.75, then 21.47. Then at the CAU inter counties match this weekend I took it down to 21.43 and then to 21.39 in back to back races on the same day.

Now doing 3-4 full sessions a week totalling approx. 6-7 hours per week, still no gym work though.

Definitely taking it more seriously now, and putting more money into training/travelling and supplements etc. And almost doubled my training, although it’s still not a lot for the results I’m getting.

Also re-worked my start following advice from a coach at my 2nd club, raised my hips in the set position and dropped my trail leg back one click in the blocks. Seems to give me more spring, as my start is terrible considering how fast I can do a 200 (I get left behind in the 100s at the start, but I normally overtake them again because of my top end speed)

Currently working on technique during the acceleration/drive phase, trying to get used to keeping my feet as low as possible to the ground when I come out of the blocks to reduce the time my foot is in the air, and increase my strike rate

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/9899609.ATHLETICS__Gain_smashes_club_record/

60i – N/A (will be entering some when the winter season begins)
    100 – 10.99/10.9
    200 – 21.39 PB (club record)

And that’s basically where I’m up to so far, I’ve done everything I wanted to achieve this year (break the club 200m record, and to run a PB in the process, which I did easier than I expected)

I’ve got a couple more competitions coming up, before the outdoor season finishes for me (last competition is half way through September I think) And then time to start putting the hard work in ready for indoors and beginning *gulp* winter training :ninja:

Over Christmas I bought and read a copy of Dr. Ralph Mann’s ‘The Mechanics of Sprinting and Hurdling’ very interesting read, especially the sections on direction of force, stride length vs strike rate and front/back mechanics.

I’m also looking into the possibility of reducing my working hours or going part time so I can do more training. Even if I never get to near elite level I’d still like to know I used 100% of my potential, rather than missing out because of work.

Here are some link to show the sort of training I do:

https://community.myprotein.com/training-journals/38149-my-gym-work-portugal.html
    https://community.myprotein.com/training-journals/39172-heres-few-my-track-sesssions.html

Participant
    David Gain on #118945

Most of the above post was copy and pasted from another forum, so here are some updates that I put on the thread after it was written that should bring it up to speed (excuse the pun):

I ran at an open competition at my home club today, ran a new electronic 100m PB of 10.90 (+0.8m/s) which equalled my manually timed PB that I ran earlier in the year.

And because at this particular competition they were doing 400m instead of 200m I thought I’d give it a go.

I ran a time of 49.19 in my first proper 400m ever, so not too bad. It puts me about the same position in the UK rankings as my 100m time, but still nowhere near as good as my 200m.

Now I’ve got it pretty much nailed as per my [URL=”https://community.myprotein.com/supplements-formulas/39219-help-me-create-supplement-diet-routine-sprinting.html”]supplement thread[/URL] I thought I’d post it on here.

As of last Thursday I’ve been taking the supplements in the following pattern…

[IMG]https://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq341/dh-all-the-way/Untitled-9.jpg[/IMG]

Making sure to drink plenty of water as I’ve heard the stories of people getting cramps when taking Creatine, but I think that’s more down to people not drinking enough while the muscles are taking on water rather than a direct effect of the Creatine itself.

Well as you can see in the above chart, my weight when I started the supplements was 72.1kg. The first few sessions after I started the supps I felt much more energetic and less fatigued.

However this Tuesday I felt really sluggish and tired from what was a relatively light session, so I re-weighed myself tonight. (I will weigh myself again in the morning, as that’s when I took the first weight)

I’m now 75.3kg! So I’ve gained 3.2kg in nearly 4 weeks, and I’m really feeling it now. Although that’s not a bad thing, as it will create extra resistance while training, making me swing my arms and legs harder to go the same speed, so in the long term it will benefit me, but right now I hate it. lol

I haven’t been ‘loading’ either, just taking the normal dose of 5g per day, so I’m surprised I’ve gained this much in that length of time.

With such a big weight gain, I’m almost certainly going to have to come off it during competition season, unless my weight levels out over the next few weeks.

Following on from last nights post, I re-weighed myself this morning and came out at 165lbs, or 74.4kg. Which means I’ve only actually gained 2.3kg which is more in line with what people say you will gain on Creatine. Still waiting to see if it levels off though.

Had my first proper gym session since April last week, I went to Oxford Power Sports gym with my coach and a guy who used to train at the track, who is now an MMA Strength and Conditioning coach at the gym.

We did squats, hang cleans, benches and a load of other stuff I can’t think of the names for.

I’m mostly recovered, although I can still feel it in my lower back.

And in other news, I contacted the GLL Sports Foundation and have managed to get myself a regional award, which basically gives me a free gym membership to use at any gym they are partnered with

I’ve run at 2 competitions so far this year, both indoors.

In the first one I reduced my 60m time from 7.25 to 7.19. I then ran again today and brought it down to 7.13, and then in my second race reduced it even further to 7.10

Which now means my PBs stand at:

60m – 7.10
    100m – 10.90
    200m – 21.39
    400m – 49.19

I also ran a 200m indoor last weekend in 22.19 seconds which isn’t anything to shout about, but the indoor tracks are horrible to run on (steep banked corners and they slope up/down before/after the corners too, so you can’t run properly flat out on them)

But it was still the fastest time of the day and also enough to put me at the top of the 2013 UK rankings for 200m…for now. lol

And in other news, because of the 200m time I ran last year I’ve been invited to the 2013 British Athletics European Trials and UK Championships which are being held at the English Institute of Sport in Sheffield on the weekend of 9th & 10th Feb, so I’ll be mixing with the likes of Jess Ennis, Holly Bleasdale and Dwain Chambers in the warm up area.

Participant
    GiveYourBest on #118948

Do you notice any benefit by taking citrulline malate? Tnx.

Participant
    David Gain on #118949

Do you notice any benefit by taking citrulline malate? Tnx.

I have noticed an improvement yes. But you have to remember it’s not a stimulant, it’s fatigue reducer. So you won’t be able to beat your max reps in the gym, but you’ll be able to do an extra set for example.

Participant
    GiveYourBest on #118950

If I understand right you started with all supplements at the same time… how can u be sure that your fatigue is reduced by citrulline malate not beta alanine?:)
    I already use BA and I’m thinking to add CM that’s why I’m curious ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Thanks again!

Participant
    David Gain on #118951

Because although initially I started them all at the same time, I have tried using using them individually on certain days just to see what the difference was.

I’ve also stopped taking the Creatine Mono now too, as now it’s back into competition time I think trying to work out when to stop taking it to make sure I’m not too heavy will be hard to remember.

I used to use caffeine on training nights but I now save that just for competitions and use BA as my only stimulant for training.

Participant
    GiveYourBest on #118953

Thanks David.

Just to let you know – BA is ,similar as creatine, loading in your body, so if not using it for only a day or two you won’t notice any difference in fatigue (you only won’t experience paraesthesia of course).

Wish you all best with your indoor season!

Participant
    COV-GOD on #118966

Personally wouldn’t recommend BA for a short sprinter, in fact it’s dubious for a 4runner too! Best really for 800/1500 IMO
    Of course depending on your training set up if your using a lot of short recoveries it would help

Looking at your times…. I’m guessing perhaps you regularly have a short ish recovery between reps with maybe little to very few “top speed” flys in your set up!

I watched your 200 at the CAU your very strong in the straight, well done ๐Ÿ™‚ and the 22.19 indoor is a good time, I always find indoor to be around half a second slower more if your not used to it.

I have never tried CItrilline myself.

Participant
    David Gain on #118967

Personally wouldn’t recommend BA for a short sprinter, in fact it’s dubious for a 4runner too! Best really for 800/1500 IMO
    Of course depending on your training set up if your using a lot of short recoveries it would help

Looking at your times…. I’m guessing perhaps you regularly have a short ish recovery between reps with maybe little to very few “top speed” flys in your set up!

I watched your 200 at the CAU your very strong in the straight, well done ๐Ÿ™‚ and the 22.19 indoor is a good time, I always find indoor to be around half a second slower more if your not used to it.

I have never tried CItrilline myself.

I was told that out of the supps I was recommended, that the CM would be of most benefit during training. But I didn’t realise that BA was a substance that ‘loaded’ in your system too, which probably makes it quite infective for me as I only take it 3 times a week.

I do find that even in the 100m it’s not my acceleration that wins races, it’s just that I slow down a lot less than most other people. It becomes more apparent in the 200m as fatigue is a real factor during the last 100m.

Well I’m certainly not used to indoor 200m by any means, last one I did (before the one on New Year’s Day) was in 2008/9, and I nearly fell over forwards coming down the slope on the first bend as the drop in height really caught me out on that occasion. So I decided not to do them any more, but I need to do something longer than a 60m during the winter so I have some competitive full distance races before outdoors start.

Thanks, the CAU’s was a good day for me! I had a very comfortable heat running just over 22 seconds, and then ran two PBs in a row! 21.43 in the semi and then 21.39 in the final. So I was pretty pleased with how that day went overall ๐Ÿ™‚

Participant
    David Gain on #119068

Latest update…

Did an indoor 200m at the London Indoor Games yesterday, unfortunately I arrived a bit late due to traffic and by the time I arrived they had re arranged the lane draw and added an extra runner to my heat so I ended up getting given lane 1.

It was way too tight and I found myself struggling not to drift up the banked corner, tweaked my ankle when I hit the first bend too, but still managed 22.05, which wasn’t too bad considering it’s only my 2nd indoor 200m in about 4 years. And still faster than the 22.19 I ran on new years day as well.

Did 2 rounds of 60s today, 7.06 in the first race and 7.02 in the second. Definitely a sub 7 second run on the way.

Participant
    David Woods on #119069

I absolutely agree it helps with interval running, from doing repeat 100’s all the way up to 300-400.

Participant
    David Gain on #119071

[quote author="COV-GOD" date="1358100713"]Personally wouldn’t recommend BA for a short sprinter, in fact it’s dubious for a 4runner too! Best really for 800/1500 IMO

I absolutely agree it helps with interval running, from doing repeat 100’s all the way up to 300-400.[/quote]

I don’t expect it to make an difference during competitions as it’s a fatigue reducer not a stimulant.

But we all agree it will help during training?

Participant
    David Gain on #119129

Just come back from the Birmingham Indoor Games, I entered in advance for the 60m yesterday and the 200m today, but as both events had heats, semi-finals and a final I decided that might be too much for one weekend so I skipped the 60m and decided to just concentrate on the 200m today.

The track at Birmingham has much better banked corners than the London one does so I was hoping for some better times at this one.

There were 10 heats, so the winner plus the next fastest 5 went through to the semi finals, I ran 21.67 from lane 4, coming first in my heat.

I then ran 21.45 from lane 6, winning my semi-final which I was pretty impressed with as it was only 0.06 slower than my outdoor PB.

I was pretty tired by the time it came to the final as I had to put more effort into my first heat than I planned because of the qualification rules. But despite that I finished 3rd running 21.65 from lane 4 again.

So all in all it was a good day and I came home with a bronze medal ๐Ÿ™‚

Participant
    David Gain on #119153

Also on the subject of the Birmingham Games, I’ve managed to track down some footage of all 3 of my races on Sunday. I’m just waiting for the full resolution copies to be emailed to me.

I had a quick look at the low quality versions, and you would not believe how slow I was getting out of the blocks on my fastest run! (21.45)

I’d love to play it through some video software and actually see how much time I lost!

Anyway, once I’ve got them I’ll stick them on YouTube and see what you guys think…

Participant
    David Gain on #119154

Actually I won’t keep you guys waiting, for now here is a link to the low quality version of the semi-final in question. It will be fairly obvious once the gun goes, but just so you know, I’m in lane 6.

https://www.athleticos.org/coverage/250427-2013-Birmingham-Indoor-Games/video/691176-SM-200m-SF3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.