DavidG’s Progress Log

Posted In: Training Journals

Participant
        David Gain on #18659

I’ve put a bit of information about myself in thread already:
        https://elitetrack.com/forums/viewthread/11082/

But I thought I’d start a proper thread to let you know what I’ve been doing up until now, and how my times are coming along etc.

2008 (first year in U20 age group)

Not taking it too seriously at this time, just starting out and enjoying a good first year
        Training twice a week, 1.5hours per session

60i – 7.50 PB
        100 – 11.2 PB
        200 – 22.3 PB (club record)
        ___________________________________________________________________________________

2009 (second year in U20 age group)

Not entirely sure what happened this year, didn’t manage to beat or even equal my previous years times, which at that stage I should have done.

Still training twice a week, 1.5hours per session

60i – 7.34 PB (club record)
        100 – 11.3
        200 – 22.4
        ___________________________________________________________________________________

2010 (first year in U23 age group)

Improved PBs for both my main events by a good amount, didn’t do any 60s though this season for some reason

60i – N/A
        100 – 10.9 PB
        200 – 22.0 PB

2011 (second year in U23 age group)

Took another good amount of my 200 time

Concentrating mostly on 200 from this point onwards, although still trying to improve 100 aswell

Starting to go down the track on a Saturday every now and then to pull tyres or just do some extra runs, but still only training twice a week.

Joined another forum and after reading a blog by Craig Pickering I started to use the controlled dehydration technique during competitions.

Also adjusted my start position based on some settings he gave me, which I was using when I ran the 200 PB

60i – 7.25 PB
        100 – 11.07/11.0
        200 – 21.84/21.8 PB

2012 (third and final year in U23 age group)

This year has been the best by far, running huge PBs in the 200m, and getting invited to the Olympic Trials, as well as doing pretty well at various other big competitions such as the U20/U23 England Championships/Word Trials and McCain Birmingham Games.

Initially took my 200m time down from 21.84 to 21.75, then 21.47. Then at the CAU inter counties match this weekend I took it down to 21.43 and then to 21.39 in back to back races on the same day.

Now doing 3-4 full sessions a week totalling approx. 6-7 hours per week, still no gym work though.

Definitely taking it more seriously now, and putting more money into training/travelling and supplements etc. And almost doubled my training, although it’s still not a lot for the results I’m getting.

Also re-worked my start following advice from a coach at my 2nd club, raised my hips in the set position and dropped my trail leg back one click in the blocks. Seems to give me more spring, as my start is terrible considering how fast I can do a 200 (I get left behind in the 100s at the start, but I normally overtake them again because of my top end speed)

Currently working on technique during the acceleration/drive phase, trying to get used to keeping my feet as low as possible to the ground when I come out of the blocks to reduce the time my foot is in the air, and increase my strike rate

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/9899609.ATHLETICS__Gain_smashes_club_record/

60i – N/A (will be entering some when the winter season begins)
        100 – 10.99/10.9
        200 – 21.39 PB (club record)

And that’s basically where I’m up to so far, I’ve done everything I wanted to achieve this year (break the club 200m record, and to run a PB in the process, which I did easier than I expected)

I’ve got a couple more competitions coming up, before the outdoor season finishes for me (last competition is half way through September I think) And then time to start putting the hard work in ready for indoors and beginning *gulp* winter training :ninja:

Over Christmas I bought and read a copy of Dr. Ralph Mann’s ‘The Mechanics of Sprinting and Hurdling’ very interesting read, especially the sections on direction of force, stride length vs strike rate and front/back mechanics.

I’m also looking into the possibility of reducing my working hours or going part time so I can do more training. Even if I never get to near elite level I’d still like to know I used 100% of my potential, rather than missing out because of work.

Here are some link to show the sort of training I do:

https://community.myprotein.com/training-journals/38149-my-gym-work-portugal.html
        https://community.myprotein.com/training-journals/39172-heres-few-my-track-sesssions.html

Participant
        David Gain on #118945

Most of the above post was copy and pasted from another forum, so here are some updates that I put on the thread after it was written that should bring it up to speed (excuse the pun):

I ran at an open competition at my home club today, ran a new electronic 100m PB of 10.90 (+0.8m/s) which equalled my manually timed PB that I ran earlier in the year.

And because at this particular competition they were doing 400m instead of 200m I thought I’d give it a go.

I ran a time of 49.19 in my first proper 400m ever, so not too bad. It puts me about the same position in the UK rankings as my 100m time, but still nowhere near as good as my 200m.

Now I’ve got it pretty much nailed as per my [URL=”https://community.myprotein.com/supplements-formulas/39219-help-me-create-supplement-diet-routine-sprinting.html”%5Dsupplement thread[/URL] I thought I’d post it on here.

As of last Thursday I’ve been taking the supplements in the following pattern…

[IMG]https://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq341/dh-all-the-way/Untitled-9.jpg[/IMG]

Making sure to drink plenty of water as I’ve heard the stories of people getting cramps when taking Creatine, but I think that’s more down to people not drinking enough while the muscles are taking on water rather than a direct effect of the Creatine itself.

Well as you can see in the above chart, my weight when I started the supplements was 72.1kg. The first few sessions after I started the supps I felt much more energetic and less fatigued.

However this Tuesday I felt really sluggish and tired from what was a relatively light session, so I re-weighed myself tonight. (I will weigh myself again in the morning, as that’s when I took the first weight)

I’m now 75.3kg! So I’ve gained 3.2kg in nearly 4 weeks, and I’m really feeling it now. Although that’s not a bad thing, as it will create extra resistance while training, making me swing my arms and legs harder to go the same speed, so in the long term it will benefit me, but right now I hate it. lol

I haven’t been ‘loading’ either, just taking the normal dose of 5g per day, so I’m surprised I’ve gained this much in that length of time.

With such a big weight gain, I’m almost certainly going to have to come off it during competition season, unless my weight levels out over the next few weeks.

Following on from last nights post, I re-weighed myself this morning and came out at 165lbs, or 74.4kg. Which means I’ve only actually gained 2.3kg which is more in line with what people say you will gain on Creatine. Still waiting to see if it levels off though.

Had my first proper gym session since April last week, I went to Oxford Power Sports gym with my coach and a guy who used to train at the track, who is now an MMA Strength and Conditioning coach at the gym.

We did squats, hang cleans, benches and a load of other stuff I can’t think of the names for.

I’m mostly recovered, although I can still feel it in my lower back.

And in other news, I contacted the GLL Sports Foundation and have managed to get myself a regional award, which basically gives me a free gym membership to use at any gym they are partnered with

I’ve run at 2 competitions so far this year, both indoors.

In the first one I reduced my 60m time from 7.25 to 7.19. I then ran again today and brought it down to 7.13, and then in my second race reduced it even further to 7.10

Which now means my PBs stand at:

60m – 7.10
        100m – 10.90
        200m – 21.39
        400m – 49.19

I also ran a 200m indoor last weekend in 22.19 seconds which isn’t anything to shout about, but the indoor tracks are horrible to run on (steep banked corners and they slope up/down before/after the corners too, so you can’t run properly flat out on them)

But it was still the fastest time of the day and also enough to put me at the top of the 2013 UK rankings for 200m…for now. lol

And in other news, because of the 200m time I ran last year I’ve been invited to the 2013 British Athletics European Trials and UK Championships which are being held at the English Institute of Sport in Sheffield on the weekend of 9th & 10th Feb, so I’ll be mixing with the likes of Jess Ennis, Holly Bleasdale and Dwain Chambers in the warm up area.

Participant
        GiveYourBest on #118948

Do you notice any benefit by taking citrulline malate? Tnx.

Participant
        David Gain on #118949

Do you notice any benefit by taking citrulline malate? Tnx.

I have noticed an improvement yes. But you have to remember it’s not a stimulant, it’s fatigue reducer. So you won’t be able to beat your max reps in the gym, but you’ll be able to do an extra set for example.

Participant
        GiveYourBest on #118950

If I understand right you started with all supplements at the same time… how can u be sure that your fatigue is reduced by citrulline malate not beta alanine?:)
        I already use BA and I’m thinking to add CM that’s why I’m curious 😉
        Thanks again!

Participant
        David Gain on #118951

Because although initially I started them all at the same time, I have tried using using them individually on certain days just to see what the difference was.

I’ve also stopped taking the Creatine Mono now too, as now it’s back into competition time I think trying to work out when to stop taking it to make sure I’m not too heavy will be hard to remember.

I used to use caffeine on training nights but I now save that just for competitions and use BA as my only stimulant for training.

Participant
        GiveYourBest on #118953

Thanks David.

Just to let you know – BA is ,similar as creatine, loading in your body, so if not using it for only a day or two you won’t notice any difference in fatigue (you only won’t experience paraesthesia of course).

Wish you all best with your indoor season!

Participant
        COV-GOD on #118966

Personally wouldn’t recommend BA for a short sprinter, in fact it’s dubious for a 4runner too! Best really for 800/1500 IMO
        Of course depending on your training set up if your using a lot of short recoveries it would help

Looking at your times…. I’m guessing perhaps you regularly have a short ish recovery between reps with maybe little to very few “top speed” flys in your set up!

I watched your 200 at the CAU your very strong in the straight, well done 🙂 and the 22.19 indoor is a good time, I always find indoor to be around half a second slower more if your not used to it.

I have never tried CItrilline myself.

Participant
        David Gain on #118967

Personally wouldn’t recommend BA for a short sprinter, in fact it’s dubious for a 4runner too! Best really for 800/1500 IMO
        Of course depending on your training set up if your using a lot of short recoveries it would help

Looking at your times…. I’m guessing perhaps you regularly have a short ish recovery between reps with maybe little to very few “top speed” flys in your set up!

I watched your 200 at the CAU your very strong in the straight, well done 🙂 and the 22.19 indoor is a good time, I always find indoor to be around half a second slower more if your not used to it.

I have never tried CItrilline myself.

I was told that out of the supps I was recommended, that the CM would be of most benefit during training. But I didn’t realise that BA was a substance that ‘loaded’ in your system too, which probably makes it quite infective for me as I only take it 3 times a week.

I do find that even in the 100m it’s not my acceleration that wins races, it’s just that I slow down a lot less than most other people. It becomes more apparent in the 200m as fatigue is a real factor during the last 100m.

Well I’m certainly not used to indoor 200m by any means, last one I did (before the one on New Year’s Day) was in 2008/9, and I nearly fell over forwards coming down the slope on the first bend as the drop in height really caught me out on that occasion. So I decided not to do them any more, but I need to do something longer than a 60m during the winter so I have some competitive full distance races before outdoors start.

Thanks, the CAU’s was a good day for me! I had a very comfortable heat running just over 22 seconds, and then ran two PBs in a row! 21.43 in the semi and then 21.39 in the final. So I was pretty pleased with how that day went overall 🙂

Participant
        David Gain on #119068

Latest update…

Did an indoor 200m at the London Indoor Games yesterday, unfortunately I arrived a bit late due to traffic and by the time I arrived they had re arranged the lane draw and added an extra runner to my heat so I ended up getting given lane 1.

It was way too tight and I found myself struggling not to drift up the banked corner, tweaked my ankle when I hit the first bend too, but still managed 22.05, which wasn’t too bad considering it’s only my 2nd indoor 200m in about 4 years. And still faster than the 22.19 I ran on new years day as well.

Did 2 rounds of 60s today, 7.06 in the first race and 7.02 in the second. Definitely a sub 7 second run on the way.

Participant
        David Woods on #119069

I absolutely agree it helps with interval running, from doing repeat 100’s all the way up to 300-400.

Participant
        David Gain on #119071

[quote author="COV-GOD" date="1358100713"]Personally wouldn’t recommend BA for a short sprinter, in fact it’s dubious for a 4runner too! Best really for 800/1500 IMO

I absolutely agree it helps with interval running, from doing repeat 100’s all the way up to 300-400.[/quote]

I don’t expect it to make an difference during competitions as it’s a fatigue reducer not a stimulant.

But we all agree it will help during training?

Participant
        David Gain on #119129

Just come back from the Birmingham Indoor Games, I entered in advance for the 60m yesterday and the 200m today, but as both events had heats, semi-finals and a final I decided that might be too much for one weekend so I skipped the 60m and decided to just concentrate on the 200m today.

The track at Birmingham has much better banked corners than the London one does so I was hoping for some better times at this one.

There were 10 heats, so the winner plus the next fastest 5 went through to the semi finals, I ran 21.67 from lane 4, coming first in my heat.

I then ran 21.45 from lane 6, winning my semi-final which I was pretty impressed with as it was only 0.06 slower than my outdoor PB.

I was pretty tired by the time it came to the final as I had to put more effort into my first heat than I planned because of the qualification rules. But despite that I finished 3rd running 21.65 from lane 4 again.

So all in all it was a good day and I came home with a bronze medal 🙂

Participant
        David Gain on #119153

Also on the subject of the Birmingham Games, I’ve managed to track down some footage of all 3 of my races on Sunday. I’m just waiting for the full resolution copies to be emailed to me.

I had a quick look at the low quality versions, and you would not believe how slow I was getting out of the blocks on my fastest run! (21.45)

I’d love to play it through some video software and actually see how much time I lost!

Anyway, once I’ve got them I’ll stick them on YouTube and see what you guys think…

Participant
        David Gain on #119154

Actually I won’t keep you guys waiting, for now here is a link to the low quality version of the semi-final in question. It will be fairly obvious once the gun goes, but just so you know, I’m in lane 6.

https://www.athleticos.org/coverage/250427-2013-Birmingham-Indoor-Games/video/691176-SM-200m-SF3

Participant
        Zack Trapp on #119156

Dang thats a moving time. Wow. Sub 21 looks pretty reasonable by outdoors….

Participant
        David Gain on #119168

Right well here is the full resolution video of my semi final with the incredibly slow start…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQXwo2vPti4

This is my heat…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df-sHX7NPSI

And this is the final…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgxvGbF_L-o

Participant
        COV-GOD on #119179

Well done 🙂

Good series of runs

Participant
        David Gain on #119180

Well today has been another successful day, it was the UK Championships and European Trials at the English Institute of Sport in Sheffield.

The race layout was 4 heats of 5, with the 4 winners plus 1 fastest loser to make a straight final of 5.

I won my heat in 21.62 (reaction time 0.249) from lane 5, which was on par with the times I ran last weekend, especially as my first run is never my fastest.

I was given lane 3 for the final which put me off a bit after running the inner lanes at London a few weeks ago, but I’d got too far to back down over a lane draw.

I crossed the line 4th in 21.62 (reaction time 0.239), an identical time to my first heat which wasn’t too bad considering I was 2 lanes further in, beaten by only 0.02 by the guy infront. However he was then DQ’d for a ‘lane infringement’ so I was given 3rd place and the bronze medal. He was actually the second person on the day to be DQ’d for apparently stepping on/over the line, I think the very close competition and slightly undulating track were catching people out unfortunately.

I really need to work on my starts/reaction times as 0.249 is just too slow for a sprint start, a lot of the guys in the 60m final yesterday were clocking around 0.150 off the blocks. And as reaction time is basically ‘free time’ off the race I really need to see if I can knock off that extra tenth of a second.

But considering I only did indoors this year as something to keep me going until outdoors started, I’m pretty pleased with how it’s gone.

And here’s the reward…

Participant
        David Gain on #119237

Got a picture from one of my races the other weekend, any comments on technique/form?

Participant
        David Gain on #120048

Just realised I’ve been posting all my competition updates in my training log by accident, so I’m just going to quickly copy and paste them all below and continue using this so it all stays together…

20-04-2013

Just had my first outdoor competition of the year, a Division 1 SAL match for Radley AC.

10.9 in the 100m with what I thought was a bad start, as I seemed to stumble on my first foot strike out of the blocks, but it equals my PB and is by far the fastest opening run I’ve had to date.

21.7 in the 200m, although I was screwed over by the time keepers on that one. I was timed at 21.47 which should have been rounded up to 21.5, but the goldfish of a timekeeper managed to forget my time, but then remembered there was a 7 in it, so wrote down 21.7! Bloody useless. I would have made a complaint but it was hand timed so it doesn’t really count for much on the Power of 10, but I know for my own reference that it was 21.5 really so I still know where I’m at after my WWT which is the main thing. And again, by far the quickest opening 200m I’ve ever had.

We then ran 42.5 in the 4×100 which was only 0.3 off the division and club record, not bad considering that was the first time the 4 of us had ever run in a relay together.

And to finish off the day, we won the match overall too! So it’s looking like it could be a very good season ahead!

11-05-2013

Had my first BAL match as a higher claim athlete for Southampton AC today.

I ran 10.98 and 21.90, which aren’t great times, but then the conditions weren’t great either, especially in the 200m where there was quite a strong headwind on the bend. We did break the 4×100 club record though which was good!

Definitely a different experience to SAL matches though, you really have to be on top form to be competitive at these matches, those times put me third in both events, although we won the relay by miles.

Certainly plenty of room for improvement on the times, but I’m still much faster than I was this time last year which is promising.

14-05-2013

Continuing from my above comment, here are the videos of my races on Saturday. The 100m and the relay went okay. But I felt like I really tied up at the end of the 200m, I think I was surprised to have someone coming up behind me at that point in the race and just lost form a bit. Plus there was a very strong headwind all the way round the bend, which wasn’t recorded on the results as that race ended up being manually timed as the electronics were playing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRJsrbZ1xWw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ7DEU6p9zI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLCqOmbVDSI

18-05-2013

Had another league competition today at Milton Keynes.

The 100m was a bit on the slow side considering the 2.0m/s tail wind (11.06), but I’ve realised that my hamstrings are too tight/lacking in flexibility and are limiting my top speed. So I need to add in some exercises to my warmup/training sessions that will correct that.

Having spent about 45 minutes purely warming up/stretching my hamstrings I finished the 200m in 21.58 (1.4m/s) which is okay, 0.19 off my PB, but still quicker than the 21.75 I ran this time last season (first sub 22 of that year) so I’m on the right track.

I then ran second leg in our 4x100m relay team who clocked 41.53 which was a new division, league and club record, so that was a good end to the day.

I now need to rest and try to recover before I compete at the Internationales Pfingstsportfest in Germany on Monday!

27-05-2013

Well it was the Oxfordshire County Championships this weekend.

Bit disappointing for me as I was 2nd in both my events which doesn’t happen very often at county level! I’m still recovering from all the competitions I’ve been doing recently and as before, my hamstrings were hindering my top speed again.

I ran 10.88 in the 100m, which while technically a PB was run with a +2.1m/s tailwind so it doesn’t really count.

So having lost the 100m on Saturday I was fairly confident I could win the 200m today, however with my lack of top end speed and the fact the guy who won somehow managed to run a 0.56s PB (probably down to the +2.5m/s tailwind again). My 21.67 wasn’t quite enough. Which is annoying because if there was less wind, or even a headwind, it would have made my top end speed less important and my endurance probably would have pulled me through to 1st. But unfortunately races aren’t won with ‘ifs’

Given the wind assistance in both runs, I should have been faster over both events though, especially the 200m. So I’m just going to concentrate on recovery and trying to regain some of the hamstring flexibility I appear to have lost over the past couple of months in preparation for my next BAL match for Southampton.

I’m not overly bothered though as I’ve never been particularly quick at this stage in the season, I tend to build up to my PBs gradually and have always run my fastest times later in the season at bigger competitions like UK Championships and CAU Championships etc.

Participant
        David Gain on #120049

09-06-2013

So yesterday was my second Division 2 BAL match for Southampton.

First event of the day was a non-scoring 100m, came up far to early out of the blocks and lost some ground at the start. But I managed to make up some of the distance over the remainder of the race to finish in 10.96.

I could really feel my hamstrings tightening on every stride in that race, definitely going to have to go to a physio soon and just get them to check it’s not something else causing the tightness, as I’d really like to get that sorted before we get too far through the season.

I then had about a 4 hour wait until the A string 200m, I did a fairly extended warmup for this after my tightness in the 100m and was feeling much more limber this time. I had caught up the stagger after about 80m and held the lead until the finish clocking 21.69, and while the wind gauge showed a 1.2 tail wind, there was also a strong headwind most of the way round the bend that it didn’t pick up. So the time wasn’t too bad considering.

I can feel that the speed is there, and I’m sure once I get my flexibility issues sorted I’ll be running PB’s in no time, it’s just frustrating that I haven’t been able to get near the 21.45 indoor time I ran yet.

The 4x100m didn’t go too well however, I was running second leg against Adam Gemili, and in my eagerness to keep up with him down the back straight I ended up outrunning the 1st leg runner, which was doubly annoying as our team could easily have beaten the winning time of 42.8 had we got the baton round. But these things happen…
        12-06-2013

Here are the videos of my races last weekend…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww0kM93o600

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDA85JAW83o

15-06-2013

Had another SAL match for Radley today.

Ran 10.85 into a -1.1 headwind, so I’ve finally managed to break past 10.90!

Definitely starting to feel like I’m getting into better form now, hamstrings felt a bit more relaxed during the runs today. Still didn’t get the best start, but I was able to make up for it more in the last half of the race this time.

I then ran 21.57 in the 200m. Wind indicator wasn’t working for my race but the one before was -1.7 and the one after was -2.1, so definitely a headwind again. Eased off with about 5 metres to go so certainly would have been a seasons best if I’d run through the line, probably not enough for a PB though.

But again, it felt like by far the easiest 200m I’ve had all season. Didn’t feel tired or like I was losing form at all coming off the bend. So given better conditions I’m sure I could have run a decent PB.

Typically I peak later in the season anyway, so this all fits with my performances from previous years. Still more to come before the end of the season!

24-06-2013

So I was at the SEAA U20/Senior Championships yesterday. Although I was hoping to do the 100 and 200, the recovery time on my hamstrings is just too long at the moment to do both. So I opted to just go for the 200 instead.

Conditions were okay, bit blustery, but nice legal winds for my runs. I ran 22.00, coming 3rd in my heat, then 21.61 for 3rd again in the semi-final. Then ran a seasons best of 21.47 to come 4th in the final, 2nd and 3rd were joint 21.42 and I basically lost it on the dip. Would have been nice to come away with a medal, but all I was really after was a good time, which I got.

Still having flexibility issue with my hamstrings so I’m feeling quite sore today, but I did feel like I was able to ‘open up’ a bit more yesterday than I have in previous competition. Although it didn’t feel anywhere near as smooth as the 21.57 I ran last weekend at the SAL match.

Participant
        David Gain on #120102

Well on Sunday I was at the UK Championships/World Trials. I was very aware that I would need to run out of my socks to be competitive in the heats with an entry standard of 21.45 for the 200m.

So I was equally aware that I would need to make sure I did a very thorough warm up to help reduce any hamstring tightness, which I did. And by the end of my nicely spread out 90 minute warm up I was actually feeling ready for the race.

The time had been great all weekend and the wind was favourable, so I was hoping for a PB.

Got a great start, ran a good bend and was actually most of the way off the bend before I saw anyone in the corner of my eye, so I must have been flying. However that’s where the good part ends, I felt some tightness/cramp in my left hamstring just as I was coming off the bend, hoping it would go away I carried on hard for another few strides but then really felt it pull. My mind wanted to carry on so badly as I was sure I was on for a good position and time, but my body just wouldn’t let me.

I just had to ease off and coast across the line a good 10m behind everyone else in a time of 22.36, bit gutted really. I don’t think I strained my hamstring too badly, as there was no bruising and very little swelling. And although it’s still a bit uncomfortable to walk on I can still stretch it to close to what I normally can, so hopefully I’ll be able to resume training soon, but I doubt I’ll be able to do any competitions between now and the CAUs at the end of August.

Participant
        David Gain on #120103

Well on Sunday I was at the UK Championships/World Trials. I was very aware that I would need to run out of my socks to be competitive in the heats with an entry standard of 21.45 for the 200m.

So I was equally aware that I would need to make sure I did a very thorough warm up to help reduce any hamstring tightness, which I did. And by the end of my nicely spread out 90 minute warm up I was actually feeling ready for the race.

The time had been great all weekend and the wind was favourable, so I was hoping for a PB.

Got a great start, ran a good bend and was actually most of the way off the bend before I saw anyone in the corner of my eye, so I must have been flying. However that’s where the good part ends, I felt some tightness/cramp in my left hamstring just as I was coming off the bend, hoping it would go away I carried on hard for another few strides but then really felt it pull. My mind wanted to carry on so badly as I was sure I was on for a good position and time, but my body just wouldn’t let me.

I just had to ease off and coast across the line a good 10m behind everyone else in a time of 22.36, bit gutted really. I don’t think I strained my hamstring too badly, as there was no bruising and very little swelling. And although it’s still a bit uncomfortable to walk on I can still stretch it to close to what I normally can, so hopefully I’ll be able to resume training soon, but I doubt I’ll be able to do any competitions between now and the CAUs at the end of August.

Participant
        David Gain on #120217

Well after my injury at the UK Champs, I’ve been recovering at a decent race. I don’t think it was too serious luckily, and I feel in good enough condition to compete tomorrow. Only a club league match at my home track, so there’s no real pressure to run fast times, it’s just about finishing and getting some points.

My aim was and still is to compete at the CAU Inter-Counties match at Bedford at the end of the month, however I came 4th with a PB last year, so if my times are terrible tomorrow I think I’ll just give it a miss as I wouldn’t want my last competition of the season to be a disappointment.

Looking forward to getting back on the track and racing as I’ve already miss two! My training sessions this week were the first time I’d gone up to anywhere near full speed and I felt absolutely fine before, during and after, but I still doubt I’m 100% fit yet so tomorrow’s competition is mostly just to test where I’m at now.

Participant
        David Gain on #120246

Yesterday’s competition is over and done with, and I’m actually feeling pretty good today. Legs are less achy than they have been after most of my other competitions this year, and they felt absolutely fine before, during and after yesterdays runs. So if anything, I think the slight pull I had may have evened out an imbalance I had in my hamstrings somehow.

I actually managed some okay times too, 10.87 and 21.39 which although wind assisted actually equalled my 200m PB and was only 0.02 off my 100m PB. So it still shows my legs can move at that pace without the worry of injuring myself again which is good. So I now have a couple of weeks to just concentrate on training, and then I’ll see what I can do at the CAU Inter Counties on the 25th/26th August.

Participant
        David Gain on #120440

Well the CAUs have come and gone for another year, didn’t go anywhere near as well as I’d have hoped. I felt a bit lethargic on the day, and due to fewer athletes turning up this year, it was just heats and then straight into a final. So unlike last year where I had chance to ease into the races running, 22.00, 21.43 and then 21.39 in the 3 rounds, I had to go flat out in the first round which is something I’m never able to do properly. It doesn’t seem to matter how much I warm up, until I’ve done a race I never seem to be fully stretched out.

Anyway, the result of that is that I ran 21.65 -1.7m/s and came 3rd in my heat, missing out on the 2nd place automatic qualifying spot by 0.04, and then unfortunately didn’t get through based on my time. Which is frustrating as I know I could have gone quicker had I got another run, but it doesn’t always go to plan on the day.

I think I’m going to make that my last race this season and just concentrate on getting back into decent shape for next season as I’m clearly still lacking in fitness a bit after my injury. Stepping up the training again now as I’ll be able to train Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays from this point onwards. And definitely going to get some gym sessions in during the off season as that’s a big hole in my training schedule.

Participant
        David Gain on #201069

Okay so first competition of 2014 yesterday (Sunday).

I was competing indoors over 60m, I got 2 runs. One at 2pm and the other at 5pm.

1st Round: I ran 7.06, which is 0.04 off my PB, and I at least 0.1 faster than my first indoor of last season. That run felt good, I got a good push out of the blocks and seemed to transition well. But I think I may have left my head down a bit too long any perhaps lost a bit of top end speed in the last 20m of the race.

2nd Round: Not as good, I put a foot down slightly too far back on my 3rd step, which had the affect of lifting me up too soon which allowed the field to open up a metre or two gap. I was closing them down at the end but the damage was done by then and I only managed 7.15 in that run. (seen during video playback of my race which I will upload once I get the files)

Overall I’m pleased with how it went though, especially as those were my first competitive runs in about 5 months. Sub 7 is my target, and I think that’s achievable with a bit more practice.

I’ve also completely reworked my warmup routine, as I think that improper use of static stretching was actually the main cause of a lot of last seasons problems.

My warmup now is shorter but with less breaks, and it 100% dynamic. It’s roughly 40 minutes from start to finish, whereas before it was easily over an hour. Which when I have 3 runs in a day will save me a lot of time and energy!

Participant
        David Gain on #201699

Here are the videos as promised! I thought the first run was okay technically, good push out of the blocks, feet staying low during acceleration etc. I’d love to hear your thoughts though guys.

Race 1 – 7.06

Race 2 – 7.15

Participant
        David Gain on #203135

So today I had another pair of 60m runs. First of the day was a 7.08 with what I was told was a bad start (still coming up too soon).

However I then followed that up with what to me actually felt like a worse start, but stopped the clock in a new PB of 6.99! Can’t complain at that, and still definitely more time to come off it if I get the start sorted!

I’ve only got one more competition scheduled in for this indoor season, which will be an open at Birmingham on the 16th Feb. Only 1 x 60m and 1 x 200m (no multiple rounds), and once that’s done I think I’ll just get back to training properly.

Sub 7 was my target this indoor season, so time to turn my attention back to getting ready for outdoors. 🙂

Participant
        Zack Trapp on #203136

Nice job breaking 7!

Participant
        Welshman on #203241

Nice work David!

Participant
        rogiertetteroo@gmail.com on #205517

Great video David,

You said you still needed work on the start. How’s that working out?

Rogier

Participant
        David Gain on #205521

Thanks guys 🙂

Rogier, the start is coming along okay, but is still very inconsistent as you can see from my times.

I know what I need to be doing, and I can visualise myself doing it perfectly. But come race day my brain just goes into auto pilot. So I just need to keep practising and drilling the new (correct) technique into my brain until it overwrites the old (wrong) one. Easier said than done though!

Participant
        David Gain on #207891

Today I was competing at the Birmingham Games, unlike previous years where it’s held over 2 days with the 60m and 200m on separate days, it was over 1 day this year. This gave me the opportunity to do both events as it was just one of each rather than the usual heats, semis and final.

I wasn’t feeling particularly ready to compete this morning as I couldn’t get to sleep last night, but it didn’t seem to affect my performance too much.

I won my heat of the 60m in a new PB of 6.97, and then a couple of hours later also won my heat of the 200m in 21.50. Which although not a PB, was faster than all but 1 of my indoor 200m races last year which were all 21.61+. So as far as I’m concerned today was a success.

Now to forget about indoors and get back to preparing for the outdoor season.

I’ll get the videos posted up once I have them.

Participant
        David Gain on #207913

Still managing to remain consistent over 60m which is good, but I really need to get that initial period of acceleration sorted. The guy on my left in lane 2 leaves me for dead over the first 5 strides!

Video of my 60m: (lane 3)

And the 200m: (lane 5)

Participant
        David Gain on #210597

Not updated here for a while, training has been going well for the most part.

Picked up a slight calf strain last week though, so although I’m still able to do some basic training and light drills I’m not able to properly sprint at the moment.

Very frustrating as I was supposed to be doing a 60m/100m indoor this weekend and then my first outdoor on the 30th March. But I’m just going to ignore those and concentrate on being fit for my first league match on the 19th April now.

Participant
        David Gain on #223991

Monday 5th May – Open ‘Graded?’

My outdoor season is well under way now, my season opener was an open at Cheltenham, which was a bit of a let down really. It was advertised as being ‘Graded’ i.e. proper lane seeding based on PB etc. But it ended up just being randomly drawn, so that was a bit of a let down. The conditions weren’t ideal either, with gusty tail winds for the last 50m of the home straight, and a massive headwind for the first 60m of the bend during the 200m.

I ran 10.83 +2.7, and 21.81 +3.7, but my legs held up okay, and the calf/achilies tightness I’ve been suffering from since my calf strain earlier in the season seems to be subsiding now.

Saturday 10th May – British League Match 1

I think ‘apocalyptic’ is the best word to describe this competition, the wind was terrible, measuring above 4m/s headwind at points, although in reality it was much stronger than that due to the position of the wind indicator. There were also frequent rain/hail storms throughout the day.

I ran 11.18 -2.7 in the 100m, and then 22.77 in the 200m (winning time was 22.25). As I mentioned earlier, the questionable readings from the wind indicator struck again, and despite gale force winds, it only registered -0.3!! And as you can tell by the times, it definitely was not only -0.3!

Saturday 17th May – Southern League Match 2

I missed the first Southern League match as I wanted to give my calf some extra recovery time, but yesterdays conditions were the best I’ve had so far this year. Lovely and warm, with a nice breeze. Again, the winds were up and down all day, with speeds ranging from below 1m/s tailwind, to nearly 3m/s tailwind. I was up against some strong competition in both my events in the form of Kieran Showler-Davis, who I came 2nd to in both events.

I clocked 10.67 in the 100m unfortunately with a +2.6 wind, the race before mine was just about legal I think. Kieran came 1st with 10.47.

In the 200m I was back up against my rival from Basingstoke, and fighting into a bit of a headwind at the start of the bend, I managed to cross the line in 21.52 +1.7. He won with 21.35, and had I worked a bit harder off the bend I like to think I could have been a bit closer across the line, unfortunately ifs and buts don’t count for anything in track and field, so we’ll see what happens at the next match!

The conditions I had for my British League match… (the wind blew all the lane markers against the fence!)

Me (right) and Kieran (left) at the start of the 200m…

About 20-30m into the 200m, still working against the wind at this point…

Participant
        David Gain on #226056

Saturday 7th June – British League Match 2

I really wasn’t looking forward to this one, as we were forcast gale force winds and the worst hale storm for 175 years! In the end though, we had clear blue skies and about 24 degrees! Still a bit of wind though which wasn’t helping with the sprints.

I ran 10.91 into a -0.7 headwind to come 4th, and then later in the afternoon ran 21.88 into a -2.3 headwind to come 3rd. The highlight of the day though was breaking the club 4x100m record in 41.40, which put us joint 1st in point with Baingstoke (who won the previous match), our 4x400m team then stormed round to another victory and the overall match win!

Monday 9th June – Großes Siegburger Pfingstsportfest. Siegburg, GER

This is a competition I did last year as well in quite poor conditions. This year was a much better day though, with minimal winds which made a change compared to the rest of this season. I was still feeling slightly fatigued after running 3 events only 2 days before, but I ran a wind legal PB of 10.83 +0.5 in the 100m. And then ran a SB 200m time of 21.53 +0.1

This still leaves me without the qualification standards for the UK Champs this year, but I can a least say I’m in better overall form than I was last year. I’m doing an open at Watford this Wednesday (18th) for just the 200m, and then I have a league match on Saturday. So I have a couple more opportunities to qualify before the deadline on the 22nd.

Participant
        David Gain on #226084

Saturday 5th July – British League Match 3

I had an overnight stay on Friday night at a local hotel with the rest of the team for this one. And having driving up to Derby through very overcast and rainy conditions, I wasn’t expecting anything to come out of Saturday’s competition.

However by 3pm when my 100m was due to start, the sun was out and the wind was just starting to die down a bit. I ran 10.84 -0.2 in the 100m, and then an outdoor SB of 21.51 0.0 in the 200m. The wind gauge didn’t appear to be working for my race, or the one after it. But there was certainly still a slight headwind on the home straight.

My calves cramped slightly during a practice relay changeover after the 200m, so I had to sit out the practice and just spend the next 20 minutes stretching. I was fine for the race itself, but they are feeling a little sore from the cramping, luckily I’ve got a physio/massage appointment booked for Wednesday anyway so I’ll just have a light recovery session tomorrow at training. I’ve then got another Southern League match on Saturday 12th, so hopefully I’ll be back to full fitness for that.

Participant
        David Gain on #226687

Got a bit sloppy with keeping this stuff up to date as the season progressed this year, nothing spectacular happened after my last update though so there’s not a huge amount to catch up on.

I have however been told that the issues I was/am having with my Achilles feeling tight are actually down to tight calves, so I’m trying to work on that over the winter.

One big change in my training though was the introduction of a proper weights/strength training over this winter period. A gym/S&C facility near me called The Athlete Centre has signed me up to their ‘Athlete Academy’, so I’m now getting properly planned out gym sessions at least twice a week as well as my 3 track sessions.

The strength sessions I’m doing can be anything from Olympic lifts, to box jump or a core circuit. So it’s a pretty comprehensive programme!

That’s about it for now, I’ll be back with more updates once I’ve got some indoor runs under my belt.

Participant
        David Gain on #228668

I was away in Portugal from 15th – 29th March on a training trip. I’d missed about 4 weeks of track work prior to this due to an ankle problem which now seems to be on the mend, so it was good to catch up on what I’d missed! 2 sessions a day for 2 weeks straight, one in the morning around 8am, and the next around 3pm, each lasting roughly 2 hours.

Here’s a few pictures and videos from the trip, not all training related!

All pictures/videos were taken on my Oneplus One…

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Avatar.
Viewing 41 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.