Danny Tutskey’s Masters Training Program 2013

Posted In: Training Journals

Participant
    utfootball4 on #70924

Thats exatcly what I did at Eau claire give or take a few things.

well get ready for more, from one tempo school to another tempo school.

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #70926

Well, that’s not entirely true. There is going to be a new coach there.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #70928

Well, that’s not entirely true. There is going to be a new coach there.

True that, but if the athletes had there choice they would probably keep the tempo workouts. if I am correct the head coach that came from texas bought a more speed approach and many athletes hated it.

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #70929

A lot of them liked it in the beginning, but it wore on them as the season went on and they got progressively worse or injured. LaX doesn’t have the talent base they used to have. Mainly because of 2-3 years without a solid coach there to constantly recruit. Their standards have gotten a lot more difficult as well. I think any coach that comes in and has never been affiliated with the program in any facet will want to pave their own road. I don’t know what’s going to happen this year.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #70930

A lot of them liked it in the beginning, but it wore on them as the season went on and they got progressively worse or injured. LaX doesn’t have the talent base they used to have. Mainly because of 2-3 years without a solid coach there to constantly recruit. Their standards have gotten a lot more difficult as well. I think any coach that comes in and has never been affiliated with the program in any facet will want to pave their own road. I don’t know what’s going to happen this year.

I heard alot of them never really was open to the new training ideas and was always comparing the training to the tempo workouts. I know the coach from texas did speed work from day 1 and had a strong personality.

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #70934

Yeah, that is true. The short sprinters liked it, but it wore on them and 400m guys didn’t want to change at all. But with the 400, I don’t blame them. They were solid on their workouts. The short sprinters didn’t really have a coach, but they liked the thought of having someone there to watch them, but they got run into the ground. When I was there, I never had a coach to watch me until my Senior year outdoor and he also wrote new workouts for me. I know that a few years after I had left the times for the workouts weren’t adjusted and guys were dying trying to make the times.

Participant
    Winning22 on #70935

We are going to be just fine this year. 🙂

Participant
    utfootball4 on #70936

Yeah, that is true. The short sprinters liked it, but it wore on them and 400m guys didn’t want to change at all. But with the 400, I don’t blame them. They were solid on their workouts. The short sprinters didn’t really have a coach, but they liked the thought of having someone there to watch them, but they got run into the ground. When I was there, I never had a coach to watch me until my Senior year outdoor and he also wrote new workouts for me. I know that a few years after I had left the times for the workouts weren’t adjusted and guys were dying trying to make the times.

Thats unbelieveable, so no coach till your sr outdoor season. Did Dennis play a major role in your progress.

Participant
    hopstepjump on #70937

Good to see you getting back to your roots Danny. I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of what Guthrie put you guys through!

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #70940

We are going to be just fine this year. 🙂

YOU BETTER BE! You guys won indoor and then stunk up the joint outdoor. 🙂 Just messing with you. He wrote our strength programs and that helped a lot. But he was never really there to watch us, but he’d be the guy to go to. Guthrie would watch us, but he was the quarter coach so he worked with them a lot. He’d come watch us every now and again, but as far as someone there everyday… That didn’t happen for a while.

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #70941

YOU BETTER BE! You guys won indoor and then stunk up the joint outdoor. Just messing with you. He wrote our strength programs and that helped a lot. But he was never really there to watch us, but he’d be the guy to go to. Guthrie would watch us, but he was the quarter coach so he worked with them a lot. He’d come watch us every now and again, but as far as someone there everyday… That didn’t happen for a while.

Participant
    mortac8 on #70944

Changing LAX 400m training was not the brightest idea in the world. That should have been an interview question 🙂 Why are so many coaches so inflexible in their ways?

About your workouts, drivephase. They are very interesting. At first glance many people would say they are “wrong”… then lose to you by 1 second in a race. The spectrum of training that can produce high level sprinting never ceases to amaze me.

Participant
    Danny Tutskey on #70945

[quote author="drivephase1015" date="1216064445"]Yeah, that is true. The short sprinters liked it, but it wore on them and 400m guys didn’t want to change at all. But with the 400, I don’t blame them. They were solid on their workouts. The short sprinters didn’t really have a coach, but they liked the thought of having someone there to watch them, but they got run into the ground. When I was there, I never had a coach to watch me until my Senior year outdoor and he also wrote new workouts for me. I know that a few years after I had left the times for the workouts weren’t adjusted and guys were dying trying to make the times.

Changing LAX 400m training was not the brightest idea in the world. That should have been an interview question 🙂 Why are so many coaches so inflexible in their ways?[/quote]

Yeah, I don’t know. If it aint broke, why fix it? I can see making changes in your specialty area, but if you have the program for one of the best 400m programs in all division, why would you not want use it? It’s going to be interesting what happens in the next couple years.

Participant
    utfootball4 on #70947

[quote author="drivephase1015" date="1216064445"]Yeah, that is true. The short sprinters liked it, but it wore on them and 400m guys didn’t want to change at all. But with the 400, I don’t blame them. They were solid on their workouts. The short sprinters didn’t really have a coach, but they liked the thought of having someone there to watch them, but they got run into the ground. When I was there, I never had a coach to watch me until my Senior year outdoor and he also wrote new workouts for me. I know that a few years after I had left the times for the workouts weren’t adjusted and guys were dying trying to make the times.

Changing LAX 400m training was not the brightest idea in the world. That should have been an interview question 🙂 Why are so many coaches so inflexible in their ways?

About your workouts, drivephase. They are very interesting. At first glance many people would say they are “wrong”… then lose to you by 1 second in a race. The spectrum of training that can produce high level sprinting never ceases to amaze me.[/quote]

I said two years ago that danny shouldnt have never went away from the tempo stuff, since these were the workouts that took him from 11.’s to low 10.’s..

Participant
    mortac8 on #70948

drivephase,

Does/will your achilles hold up ok doing the workouts you just posted? I would think that low volume speed work would be alot easier on it (though clearly less effective for performance in your case). Myself and some others got achilles irritation doing longer int tempo type stuff consistently after a while.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 1,124 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.