Weight train
        Cool down w/800m jog-skip

Tuesday: warm up "U"
        tech 5x75m
        med ball x10 (gas) & (tank)
        hurd mobility 5x10h (ser1-4)
        cool down w/800m skips-lunge grabs

Wenesday: warm up "V"
        tech- appr(approaches?? I don't know) 8-10 (20-30m)
        spe end 4×150
        multi jumps 1x30m (rudiment) w/med ball
        weight train
        cool down w/ 4x50m spc. walks

Thursday: warm up "T"
        tech jumpers(SRJ's), sprinters EZ grass runs
        GS X20 (pillar), GSx10 (pedestal) on med ball
        cool down as tues

Friday: Warm up "U"
        acc dev 10-12 runs x (30-40m) 4-6 runs if meet
        multi throws x 3-5 (bomb)*
        weight train (if possible)
        cool down w/400m jog-skip

Saturday If no meet warm up "T"
        spe end 4 runs w/5' rec (use 120-300m) ladder short to long
        hurd mobility 3x10h (ser 1-4)
        weight train
        cool down as tues

If meet do from # 2-5 after meet
        strength training, week of Feb 2000, sprinters/jumpers/multis

Mon. olympics- 6×2@80% only!
        bench-4,3,2,1 @ 75-90%
        lunge jumps-4×8@ 20% bd wt (fast)
        dynamic stepups-4×8 @30% body wt
        rus tw-2x10w/ arch

Wed olympics- 6×2@80% 0nly
        bench-5,4,3 @ 70-80% then 1×10@60% fast!
        jumpsquats-4-6@70% body wt prefer dumbells! land flat footed
        toe risers-2×15 (negatives)

Fri olympics-6×2@80-85%
        bench- 5,3,2,1 @ 70-90% (optional)
        Rus tw 2×10
        If no meet- squat on fri

Sat or Sun squat- 5,4,3,2,1 @ 70-90% slow & deep!!
        sprinters can opt for mon's leg series

Participant
        utfootball4 on #50305

looking at those strength workouts why no squatting?

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #50306

Dan squats quite a bit. There is actually squatting in that program on Saturday. He used to squat more but I believe he has moved towards more unilateral movements.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        Kebba Tolbert on #50307

it seems like (as with most programs) there is a heavy emphasis on squats in the fall and less so once they get past SPP.. it doesn't disappear, however.  it stays longer for the throwers.

also he mixes in a lot of step-up, lunge, and lateral type movements. very good at develoing "strength-flexibility" or strength-mobility.

Participant
        utfootball4 on #50308

Dan squats quite a bit. There is actually squatting in that program on Saturday. He used to squat more but I believe he has moved towards more unilateral movements.

mike how do u feel about moving toward unilateral movments for sprinters?

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #50309

I think when strength is in place at a high level I think it can be a good idea to move to unilateral movements as the primary strength development means. In other cases (lower strength levels, lower training ages, etc.) I'd prefer to use double support exercises as the PRIMARY means for developing strength.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        utfootball4 on #50310

I think when strength is in place at a high level I think it can be a good idea to move to unilateral movements as the primary strength development means. In other cases (lower strength levels, lower training ages, etc.) I'd prefer to use double support exercises as the PRIMARY means for developing strength.

just curious what are the pros and cons when u decide to move to unilateral movements when base strength is in place

Participant
        utfootball4 on #50311

also when u say primary strength development means – do you mean u would take a movement like lunges and lift as much weight as possible? i remember in college we use to lunge with 315+ and it really help a lot.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #50312

PROS:
        *unloading of the spine….after a certain point continuing to increase the load in double leg lifts can put the back at a big injury risk.
        *development of stability WITH strength.
        *less likelihood of unilateral strength imbalances something which can really become a problem under the very heavy loads and high intensities needed to continue to increase strength in advanced athletes who are already very strong.

CONS:
        *introduces instability which limits the expression of maximal strength….if however maximal strength is already developed to a very high level this may not be an issue as long as it is maintained.
        *because the total spinal load is significantly less if additional training is not implemented the muscles of the core could detrain.

ELITETRACK Founder

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #50313

also when u say primary strength development means – do you mean u would take a movement like lunges and lift as much weight as possible? i remember in college we use to lunge with 315+ and it really help a lot.

I mean using unilateral movements as the main exercises to develop strength as opposed to using a squat. Your example would be a good one. Obviously you were already at a very high level of strength. I think for example if you took a high school athlete who had a 135 lb squat max that he would be far better off using squats 2x a week and lunges 1x a week rather than doing unilateral movements at the expense of double leg movements.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        utfootball4 on #50314

[quote author="utfootball4" date="1159582588"]

I mean using unilateral movements as the main exercises to develop strength as opposed to using a squat. Your example would be a good one. Obviously you were already at a very high level of strength. I think for example if you took a high school athlete who had a 135 lb squat max that he would be far better off using squats 2x a week and lunges 1x a week rather than doing unilateral movements at the expense of double leg movements.
        [/quote]

i remember you saying at one time if i did heavy single leg squats one day and speed squats the other day, that i would have a diffcult time maintaining strength – so how are they able to do this without losing max strength

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #50315

To maintain max strength levels you'd have to do something like include one low-volume maintenance squat day every 10-14 days at 85-90% of max.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        utfootball4 on #50316

what do u guys think about the way pfaff has his strength setup, with the jumps on mon/wed and heavy squats on sat, do u think this could work well in a non professional setting?

Participant
        Kebba Tolbert on #50317

I've got about cylces from Dan from *many* diff years (and diff periods in the year) from the 90's till present and rarely recall seeing squats on Saturday unless it was for throwers?

also it's impt to realize that the percentages he writes are perceived maxes for that day.

Participant
        utfootball4 on #50318

I've got about cylces from Dan from *many* diff years (and diff periods in the year) from the 90's till present and rarely recall seeing squats on Saturday unless it was for throwers?

also it's impt to realize that the percentages he writes are perceived maxes for that day.

so ur sayin dan never done the cycle above???

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #50319

As far as I know Dan doesn't squat on Saturdays for sprinters and jumpers. His workout scheme is very similar to what was described in the LSU strength thread. The major differences is that there seems to be more athlete-regulated variability in sets and to some extent exercise selection. Also there seems to be more unilateral work.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        utfootball4 on #50320

As far as I know Dan doesn't squat on Saturdays for sprinters and jumpers. His workout scheme is very similar to what was described in the LSU strength thread. The major differences is that there seems to be more athlete-regulated variability in sets and to some extent exercise selection. Also there seems to be more unilateral work.

well we should take this thread down since it is incorrect.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #50321

Most of it is right. I suspect the week that was posted was under some special circumstances.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        Kebba Tolbert on #50322

I didn't mean to say that Dan never does squats on the weekend. They are done at times but it's rare – especially for non-throwers.

Participant
        utfootball4 on #50323

I didn't mean to say that Dan never does squats on the weekend. They are done at times but it's rare – especially for non-throwers.

dont see why sprinters cant, it look like a great idea u could get great workouts and meets and save the squats after meets, i know there times that dan lift and run after meets.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #50324

I'll often do 'mini-workouts' after meets, especially the early season meets that I don't really care about at all.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        Dave Hegland on #50325

Mike,

What type of mini-workouts might you do?  I'm very interested in this as I'm currently planning our competition schedule for different events.  For example, I have a 60m runner that I'd like to get some work in after his 2 rounds, but would rather not do it in a competitive 200 or 4×400 for fear of injury and/or overracing.  We're at home so we can lift after…

Participant
        utfootball4 on #50326

Mike,

What type of mini-workouts might you do?  I'm very interested in this as I'm currently planning our competition schedule for different events.  For example, I have a 60m runner that I'd like to get some work in after his 2 rounds, but would rather not do it in a competitive 200 or 4×400 for fear of injury and/or overracing.  We're at home so we can lift after…

depends what have been done earlier in the week

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #50327

I might do something as simple as 5 x 5 Hurlde hops or 6 x 2 OLs. If I really wanted to make a workout out of it I might add some acceleration development or special endurance (typically just one rep fairly hard).

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        Kebba Tolbert on #50328

I've done as part of the "cooldown"

example 1: 1 Gen. Strength Series, 1 MB Series, 1 Hurdle Mobility Series
        ex 2: 2 x GS Series, Hurdle Mobility
        ex 3: Speed/Special Endurance (6 x80m or 2-3 x 150-180)
        ex 4: Extended Bounding/MultiJumps (6-10 x 50m Str. Leg Bound or Skips) then GS, then Hurdle Mob
        ex. 5: Hurdle Mobility, Low Walks, Cooldown Series or Static Flex Series

We do some version of the above through most of January or the early season meets.  Something like #5 we continue through February.

Participant
        Dave Hegland on #50329

KT, good stuff.  I'm interested to hear in what scenario you might do the SE runs.  For example, I'm thinking of a 60m/200m guy that I have who is very ready to run a good 60 but we haven't yet moved into much special endurance.  For one early home meet I'm leaning toward only running the 60 prelim and final but then topping it off with something like 3 x 150 as you mentioned rather than racing the 200.  Some OL's to follow.  Thoughts?

Participant
        Kebba Tolbert on #50330

i'd probably run the final as well and then maybe 30-45 mins later do Oly Lifts… or 20 mins after the 60 final do 1 x 150 and some Oly Lifts….

Participant
        Dave Hegland on #50331

Sounds like a good compromise between racing and training.  I just don't want to back off for too many consecutive weeks, and I also don't want to enter 2 or 3 races merely trying to get work in.  Then you're at the mercy of the schedule of events, not to mention the potential damage done to an athlete's psyche by entering say a 200 before they're ready.

Participant
        mortac8 on #50332

i'd probably run the final as well and then maybe 30-45 mins later do Oly Lifts… or 20 mins after the 60 final do 1 x 150 and some Oly Lifts….

How do you find room to do a quality 1x150m indoor after a 60m race?

Participant
        Dave Hegland on #50333

How about during the 3k when everyone is in the inside 1-2 lanes?  I think you should be able to make it work in any race over 400m.  Indoor meets are a zoo, I can't imagine anyone paying too much mind.  I know what you mean, though.  I'm certainly more comfortable doing it at a home meet, but it should be do-able anywhere.

Participant
        QUIKAZHELL on #50334

[quote author="ktolbert" date="1165546147"]

[/quote]
        Why not? 20 mins. is plenty of time to recover from a 60.
        Now getting onto  the track in a clear lane while a meet is going on without running someone over is a different story.

Participant
        mortac8 on #50335

[quote author="mortac8" date="1165547354"]
        [quote author="ktolbert" date="1165546147"]

[/quote]
        Why not? 20 mins. is plenty of time to recover from a 60.
        Now getting onto  the track in a clear lane while a meet is going on without running someone over is a different story.
        [/quote]

That's what I meant.  How do I find room (a quality lane).  I tried to do this outdoor and it was even hard because other warming up athletes kept crossing in the open lanes.

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #50336

At LSU we'd do the post-meet workout outside. In my current location space is definitely tight which is why I primarily use multi-jumps and OLs now.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        burkhalter on #50337

EVENT: Multi/jumpers/sprinters WEEK OF: Feb.200

Sunday: off – active rest

Monday: warm up "T"
        Acc dev8-10 runs x (20-30m)
        Multi Jumps 5-8 X 5
        Weight train
        Cool down w/800m jog-skip

Tuesday: warm up "U"
        tech 5x75m
        med ball x10 (gas) & (tank)
        hurd mobility 5x10h (ser1-4)
        cool down w/800m skips-lunge grabs

Wenesday: warm up "V"
        tech- appr(approaches?? I don't know) 8-10 (20-30m)
        spe end 4×150
        multi jumps 1x30m (rudiment) w/med ball
        weight train
        cool down w/ 4x50m spc. walks

Thursday: warm up "T"
        tech jumpers(SRJ's), sprinters EZ grass runs
        GS X20 (pillar), GSx10 (pedestal) on med ball
        cool down as tues

Friday: Warm up "U"
        acc dev 10-12 runs x (30-40m) 4-6 runs if meet
        multi throws x 3-5 (bomb)*
        weight train (if possible)
        cool down w/400m jog-skip

Saturday If no meet warm up "T"
        spe end 4 runs w/5' rec (use 120-300m) ladder short to long
        hurd mobility 3x10h (ser 1-4)
        weight train
        cool down as tues

If meet do from # 2-5 after meet
        strength training, week of Feb 2000, sprinters/jumpers/multis

Mon. olympics- 6×2@80% only!
        bench-4,3,2,1 @ 75-90%
        lunge jumps-4×8@ 20% bd wt (fast)
        dynamic stepups-4×8 @30% body wt
        rus tw-2x10w/ arch

Wed olympics- 6×2@80% 0nly
        bench-5,4,3 @ 70-80% then 1×10@60% fast!
        jumpsquats-4-6@70% body wt prefer dumbells! land flat footed
        toe risers-2×15 (negatives)

Fri olympics-6×2@80-85%
        bench- 5,3,2,1 @ 70-90% (optional)
        Rus tw 2×10
        If no meet- squat on fri

I don't remember if anyone mentioned it but this looks like Comp Phase. Mentioning meets on Sat and it being in Feb, so the volumes are lower especially the strength volumes and the reason why squats are mentioned for Sat is only if there is a meet Sat. So if they are training straight through the week with no meet on Sat they will do squats on Fri as most wouldn't want to do squats the day before a meet usually right. Also notice how there is a different Fri workout if there is a Sat meet. A workout like most do for neural priming, etc.

No big deal really. If no meet – squat on Fri after standard accel workout as per usual with 4 x Speed Endurance runs on Sat. Meet on Sat – low volume accel workout Fri and squat on Sat or Sun. I imagine most likely after the meet if possible but even it were on Sun it is low volume and definitely not max percentage for the listed rep range. Looks to be pretty standard Dan Pfaff to me.

Participant
        jacko on #50338

OK Mike mad me feel guilty for sitting here reading without making a contribution, I think I actually made the first ever post on this board under the user name jacko.
        Anyway
        I read with interest Dan's comments on short sprint work and aeobic and lactic power/capacity. Looking at the artcle kebba referenced though I see the protocol involved 30sec intervals and not the 10-40m type work dan used as an example.
        I also wonder the effects on skill of pushing shorter recoveries on this type of work, eg this session from a recent presentation:

Warm-up A
        Acceleration Development (10-40m, with sets of 3 or 4 x
        3-5 efforts in each set) use 1′ and 4′ recoveries; use
        blocks, group starts, rollovers or fly-ins emphasize
        mechanics, rhythm and relaxation – can add one to
        two special speed endurance runs with 5′ recoveries
        Multiple Jump Series: 5 x 5 hurdles at 33″ and 2m
        spacing; dynamic or static to needs
        Wt. Training: Olympic lifts, Presses, and Leg Series;
        Ancillary lifts: Russian Twists and Negative Toe Risers
        Cool Down with 5′ of jog/skip routines

Participant
        burkhalter on #68058

OK Mike mad me feel guilty for sitting here reading without making a contribution, I think I actually made the first ever post on this board under the user name jacko.
        Anyway
        I read with interest Dan's comments on short sprint work and aeobic and lactic power/capacity. Looking at the artcle kebba referenced though I see the protocol involved 30sec intervals and not the 10-40m type work dan used as an example.
        I also wonder the effects on skill of pushing shorter recoveries on this type of work, eg this session from a recent presentation:

Warm-up A
        Acceleration Development (10-40m, with sets of 3 or 4 x
        3-5 efforts in each set) use 1′ and 4′ recoveries; use
        blocks, group starts, rollovers or fly-ins emphasize
        mechanics, rhythm and relaxation – can add one to
        two special speed endurance runs with 5′ recoveries
        Multiple Jump Series: 5 x 5 hurdles at 33″ and 2m
        spacing; dynamic or static to needs
        Wt. Training: Olympic lifts, Presses, and Leg Series;
        Ancillary lifts: Russian Twists and Negative Toe Risers
        Cool Down with 5′ of jog/skip routines

Where did he reference an article? Can you provide the article or a link?

Regarding the Specific training session you lay out, I noticed the seemingly short rest as well and have heard that in reality Dan is not so anal about it to where he holds them to the exact interval. I’m sure it is something like a walkback, etc. You would think he would extend it were skill/quality to decrease.

Also, though the “rule” is 1min per 10m run, from what I have surmised Dan feels there are neuromuscular happenings that the shorter rest bring about and that he feels they are important. I don’t know what the neuromuscular things that he refers to are however.

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.