creatine or beta-alanine for pre-workout? (track and gym)

Participant
    David Woods on #111598

Going to chime in and say that a beta-alinine based supplement with arginine/caffeine/BCAA is what you want pre-workout if its heavy sprint/lifting. If its more extensive tempo I’d go with a more traditional supplement like Stage 1 Gatorade gel.

The creatine I use comes from a post workout protein formula I use, usually only after lifting.

Other supplements I use are a multi-vitamin, Omega 3s, CLAs – all twice a day, extra D3, and CoQ10.

Participant
    COV-GOD on #111602

Hate to point this out again but bothbsupps are pointless as a pre workout ‘thing’

To begin with as stated timing of creative makes no difference as it’s the load within the body that counts and in fact levels remain high for some time, for instance after taking creative for some time, your levels can remain elevated for 2weeks following stopped intake.

Beta alanine works by increasing the body’s level of carnosine, which can’t be done with singular doses! And requires consistent loading over several weeks.

The reason why thought that it is added to pre workout formulars is that it gives a tingling sensation – which gives the illusion of your body being woken up, add supps such as caffiene for alertness and even Argining for the nitic effect and you have an ever better ‘mental’ placebo effect (though I agree with caffiene and Argining anyway, just not BA for pre)

Participant
    Irish100m on #111603

Yeh i understand that cov, i take caffiene as a stimulant before training … it was the way Josh said he took creatine post-workout i thought he meant it was a recovery supp.

Now i realise it’s something you load up on, so when would you take creatine, cov? Would it be throughout the day or??

Participant
    Mccabe on #111606

I’d say take it at intervals throughout the day, I used to mix it in with OJ at breakfast everyday then just take it when convenient. I always mix it within Protein shakes also.

Participant
    COV-GOD on #111612

either first thing in the morning or post training within the recovery drink.

I get my guys to split it up and take 2-3 gr first thing and agin after training, week out from peek comp stop taking so that benefits are still there and any weight water retention goes, aiding in the weight ratio being better

Participant
    Irish100m on #111616

ahh sweet thanks lads. what brand would you recommend? and in powder or tablets? I was thinking of getting CNP’s creatien because their protein shake is ridiculously good

Participant
    Mccabe on #110852

Powder is usually cheaper than tablets, as long as it is the same stuff brand won’t make much (if any) difference.

Participant
    Irish100m on #111754

bought some creatine monohydrate powder by reflex

goign to start by having a shake of it in the morning, and mixing it in with my recovery shake post workout

if i’m mixing it in with my recovery shake do i have to add extra water?

Participant
    COV-GOD on #111760

No nothing extra required in the shake

Just keep an eye on your general hydration

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.