creatine or beta-alanine for pre-workout? (track and gym)

Participant
    Irish100m on #17899

which is a better supplement for getting extra reps in both oin the track and in the gym?

thanks

Participant
    GoingsGone on #111555

Just a question because I’ve been looking into using supplements for the first time(besides protein shakes)

Don’t those supplements put on unnecessary mass/weight?

Participant
    Mccabe on #111557

You wouldn’t take creatine in the normal pre workout kind of sense (~45 minutes before). Beta is pretty good for track and gym, why not use both?

Never heard about Beta making you put on unnecessary weight, heard Creatine has something to do with water retention but I have never had issues with it so haven’t read into at all.

Participant
    Eric Broadbent on #111559

I currently take both supplements. I am a taller slender guy…6’3″ and 180lbs and take creatine and haven’t really gained any unnecessary weight or anything.I think both will help some on the track and in the gym. Both are cheap too which is great for the wallet.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #111561

I love beta-alanine. Give a look into creatinol-o-phosphate ( its not a creatine, it just shares similar structure). It has similar buffering effects.

however more reps/higher quality = greater needs for recovery and a higher chance of over training.

Participant
    Matt Norquist on #111565

I use both as my primary supplements besides multi-vitamin and fish-oil.

Neither has a notable effect on water retention for me, maybe 1-2# which is immaterial.

I think they both make a tiny impact on ability to perform quality repetitions at above 80% – maybe 1-2 reps in weight room and 1-2 more runs/plyometric impacts on track.

Participant
    Irish100m on #111567

You wouldn’t take creatine in the normal pre workout kind of sense (~45 minutes before). [b]Beta is pretty good for track and gym, why not use both?[/b]
    Never heard about Beta making you put on unnecessary weight, heard Creatine has something to do with water retention but I have never had issues with it so haven’t read into at all.

why not use both? living on a student loan and already buying a multivitamin, protein shake and zma … dunno if i could afford to get both beta-alanine and creatine

how long before your worjout do you take creatine?

Participant
    COV-GOD on #111568

Timing isnt an issue with either, its more about loading in general then pre training!

Through experience Creatine is quicker to show affect and is more suitable for sprinting and weights

Beta Alanine takes about 4-6 weeks to show affect and is alot less visable in affect as it takes so long but works greatly with buffering, i use for 400 more then sprints

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #111569

[quote author="Callam Mccabe" date="1318906963"]You wouldn’t take creatine in the normal pre workout kind of sense (~45 minutes before). [b]Beta is pretty good for track and gym, why not use both?[/b]

why not use both? living on a student loan and already buying a multivitamin, protein shake and zma … dunno if i could afford to get both beta-alanine and creatine

how long before your worjout do you take creatine?[/quote]

Don’t take it pre. Take it post workout with whatever you use for post workout nutrition.

Participant
    Irish100m on #111570

I thought the whole point was to load up on creatine before the workout? Giving you more ATP to train longer?

Also what’s the best form of creatine? Powder, tablet, what?

Participant
    utfootball4 on #111571

I think creatine is one of the most overrated supps for sprinters – on paper it looks good but that’s about it.

Participant
    Mccabe on #111574

I’ve never used creatine as a pre training stuff just take some in the morning and mix it in with recovery stuff. iirc it doesn’t really matter when you take it.

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #111575

I thought the whole point was to load up on creatine before the workout? Giving you more ATP to train longer?

Also what’s the best form of creatine? Powder, tablet, what?

Creatine levels stay elevated for a long time. Long enough that taking it post training will help the next day. I don’t like taking much of anything pre workout except BCAAs and maybe a little caffeine on days im tired.

Creatine mono works just as well (and better) than some of the new fangled creatines.

Also, as UT said, I’ve never noticed much of a difference on creatine on the track, but I do in the weight room. I still think its a good idea to take but I only do around 3g a day post workout.

Participant
    Meysam Razi on #111584

Creatine works for me on short sprints & weights. but the water retention sucks.

Participant
    Irish100m on #111594

So at this stage of the season where im doing lots of tempo work (8×200 in 25s with short recovery etc) creatine wouldn’t really be advantageous on the track? or will that added ATP still help with lactic work rather than pure flat out anaerobic work

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.