Combine Context

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #15446

What’s your 40 time? I don’t know anymore as I don’t see consistent timing and surface/testing venues. With track the 60m is uniform but with football we have grass, field turf, track, carpet, and wind. Hand times by scouts or by football “people” confuses me as reaction to first movement seems to bring up world class performances with those that are 6.6x 55m runners. What I can say is that

Continue reading…

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #79148

The small variability that we see in track (wind, fast surface vs slow surface, banked vs unbanked, indoor vs outdoor, etc) has always bugged me and it’s far less than what you see at the Pro days.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    utfootball4 on #79154

We all know the rules/what to expect and should be prepared for anything when training for things such as pro days etc.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #79157

Agreed but it can make comparisons invalid if two tests take place under completely different scenarios. In track there are either adjustments or limitations for altitude, wind, track length (indoors), banked-vs-unbanked (indoors), hand vs FAT that make comparing results run around the world fairly easy. Imagine if these weren’t in place, Usain bolt would only be the CO-world record holder with Obadale. Heck, I’ve seen hand timed 100s out of MS and TX (partly due to wind I’m sure) reported at 9.6!!! Usain would be no big deal.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    utfootball4 on #79160

Agreed but it can make comparisons invalid if two tests take place under completely different scenarios. In track there are either adjustments or limitations for altitude, wind, track length (indoors), banked-vs-unbanked (indoors), hand vs FAT that make comparing results run around the world fairly easy. Imagine if these weren’t in place, Usain bolt would only be the CO-world record holder with Obadale. Heck, I’ve seen hand timed 100s out of MS and TX (partly due to wind I’m sure) reported at 9.6!!! Usain would be no big deal.

You guys are from a track background, its different from a nfl scout point of view, according to my uncle who is a scout with the lions “if your are fast you will run fast on any surface” after all they just want to see can the guys run. The scouts do make adjustments to times if they are done on a fast surface etc.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #79163

You guys are from a track background, its different from a nfl scout point of view, according to my uncle who is a scout with the lions “if your are fast you will run fast on any surface” after all they just want to see can the guys run. The scouts do make adjustments to times if they are done on a fast surface etc.

Yeah I know each scout (especially the older ones) have adjustments that are bordering on ‘track-legitimacy’ because they have SOOOOO much data over the years and know what to look for. This is actually the one rationalization I can have for hand timed 40s at this point….even though it’s less accurate the older scouts have their own system with it and use it for their own comparison against years of previous data. The problem is when it’s all fed to the general public as if everything is equal. It’s the same thing track ran in to with the NCAA regionals debate- how do we compare a 10.7 100m time from a kid who lives in MN without an indoor facility and a 1 month outdoor track season to a kid from CA, TX, or FL where they can train and compete outdoors all year round.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    utfootball4 on #79165

[quote author="utfootball4" date="1236599092"]

Yeah I know each scout (especially the older ones) have adjustments that are bordering on ‘track-legitimacy’ because they have SOOOOO much data over the years and know what to look for. This is actually the one rationalization I can have for hand timed 40s at this point….even though it’s less accurate the older scouts have their own system with it and use it for their own comparison against years of previous data. The problem is when it’s all fed to the general public as if everything is equal. It’s the same thing track ran in to with the NCAA regionals debate- how do we compare a 10.7 100m time from a kid who lives in MN without an indoor facility and a 1 month outdoor track season to a kid from CA, TX, or FL where they can train and compete outdoors all year round.[/quote]

I know nfl.com usually let the general public know if the drills were done on grass turf, track, ran into the wind or against the wind.

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #79170

UTfootball,

Are you in the NFL? If not why?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.