But it’s just one day…

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #17446

What’s one day of missed practice? Many think it’s no big deal but let’s look at it from a purely quantitative standpoint…one day of missed training in a 6 session training week is about a 17% reduction in total volume and frequency for the week. SEVEN. TEEN. PER. CENT. In a training week that has only 5 training sessions, one missed day of practice is a 20% reduction in frequency and likely

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    the_chosen_one on #106391

Conversely,

What I see is too many coaches trying to get 1 more session in when clearly the athlete is in a state that will have diminishing returns. 17% can cause 50% reduction due to injury etc. Certainly this is a “case by case” situation but it certainly is a paradigm shift for a lot of coaches who are unwilling to go against the planned program that was written out on paper days, months in advance without knowing all the full variables.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #106392

Many times coaches have athletes doing sessions that they shouldn’t be doing because their bodies aren’t recovered enough for it. But they have them doing becuase they don’t know how to adapt training around how the athlete feels.

Changing a high intensity session to recovery day for a beat up athlete or reducing volume considerably for this day is far better than having them perform it as written.

Participant
    ex400 on #106393

At the high school level, there is a wide variety of reasons an athlete will miss a practice. The coaching task is to determine how much, if at all, to adapt the planned succeeding sessions.

Participant
    Ward on #106414

I use the same thought in the classroom when I hear, “But I only miss one day a week.” Hmmm, so we have an 18 week semester and they missed 18 days…that over 3 weeks of the semester missing – about 17% of the semester.

Participant
    bap0022587 on #106421

I think what Mike is saying applies mainly when there is a sound training plan in place and the coach understands the work capacity of the athlete. For instance instead of missing a session entirely, either volume or intensity could be reduced to minimize the percentage of training lost. This will, especially in the weight room, minimize soreness and other negative effects from not performing a movement for an extended period of time. That’s just how I understood the post though.

Participant
    Jay Turner on #106431

Many times coaches have athletes doing sessions that they shouldn’t be doing because their bodies aren’t recovered enough for it. But they have them doing becuase they don’t know how to adapt training around how the athlete feels.

Changing a high intensity session to recovery day for a beat up athlete or reducing volume considerably for this day is far better than having them perform it as written.

I agree completely. I have a former athlete that now competes collegiately for a lower level division 3 program. She writes me almost every week about how it seems that her coach has no idea what they are doing. I try to give her the politically correct response so as to not undermine her coach. I’m not coaching her anymore so I don’t want her listening to me and not her coach. However, when you see workouts like this, it makes it very difficult…

These are the workouts that her coach gives her. This is what they are doing this week.

Monday – 6 x 200 @ 100% with 5:00 rest
    Tuesday – 5 x 200m hills @ 85%
    Wednesday – 10 x block starts, then 100m run. 5 on curve, 5 on straightaway
    Thursday – 3 x 400 @ 100% with 8:00 rest
    Friday – 10 minute jog and stretch

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #106464

Yeah well how about this for a collegiate jumper who i coach private…

Her coach gave her this to do,

Sat – meet
    Sun – rest
    Mon – 6×6 stride LJ, 8x 10 stride LJ + weights
    Tues – 8×6 stide TJ
    Wed – Full approach high jumps x10
    Thurs – Full approach LJ + weights
    Fri – warm up
    Sat- Meet

Wow!

Participant
    ex400 on #106466

[quote author="Nick Newman" date="1300144712"]Many times coaches have athletes doing sessions that they shouldn’t be doing because their bodies aren’t recovered enough for it. But they have them doing becuase they don’t know how to adapt training around how the athlete feels.

I agree completely. I have a former athlete that now competes collegiately for a lower level division 3 program. She writes me almost every week about how it seems that her coach has no idea what they are doing. I try to give her the politically correct response so as to not undermine her coach. I’m not coaching her anymore so I don’t want her listening to me and not her coach. However, when you see workouts like this, it makes it very difficult…

These are the workouts that her coach gives her. This is what they are doing this week.

Friday – 10 minute jog and stretch[/quote]

I had a girl at 59.1. She went to a small college where workouts like this were common, except the volume was higher. That took her to 64.x and she quit the sport.

Participant
    Jay Turner on #106488

[quote author="Jay Turner" date="1300250751"][quote author="Nick Newman" date="1300144712"]Many times coaches have athletes doing sessions that they shouldn’t be doing because their bodies aren’t recovered enough for it. But they have them doing becuase they don’t know how to adapt training around how the athlete feels.

I had a girl at 59.1. She went to a small college where workouts like this were common, except the volume was higher. That took her to 64.x and she quit the sport.[/quote]Here’s what bothers me…or maybe I shouldn’t be so surprised.

Her coach competed (as a thrower) at a very high level D1 school. I guess as I’m typing this, I realize that last sentence is probably irrelevant. Still, this coach gets a college job, albeit at a low level D3 program, and runs these athletes into the ground. My former athlete hasn’t come close to her performances when she ran for me in high school. She’s now a collegiate junior. This really bother’s me.

Participant
    RussZHC on #106677

Unfortunately, what Mike blogs about is sometimes just the beginning…to me, there is a very real danger of a well thought out procedure declining into randomness…and often the questioning of “what went wrong” only happens after the fact.

IMO, if the athlete – coach relationship is what it can be, there should be no real reason to “skip” a planned session…down time as well as difficult times of the year (U exams as example) can and should be planned…it may lack some “fun” and spontaneity but it will also provide the desired results far more often.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #106687

Disagree…

Being able to “plan” how to “skip” planned sessions and change them to fit many variables is one of the most important aspects of great coaching!

Participant
    Jay Turner on #106720

Disagree…

Being able to “plan” how to “skip” planned sessions and change them to fit many variables is one of the most important aspects of great coaching!

I THINK….though I could be wrong…..that’s what he was trying to say.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #106727

lol oh…Well if that was the case then i’m sorry and I need to go back to school! ha

Participant
    Eager on #106729

[quote author="Jay Turner" date="1300250751"][quote author="Nick Newman" date="1300144712"]Many times coaches have athletes doing sessions that they shouldn’t be doing because their bodies aren’t recovered enough for it. But they have them doing becuase they don’t know how to adapt training around how the athlete feels.

I had a girl at 59.1. She went to a small college where workouts like this were common, except the volume was higher. That took her to 64.x and she quit the sport.[/quote]

Good heavens! I could have written the above post myself!

I had a 56.9 kid who can’t run under 60.0 now under exact same circumstances. I understand that some kids don’t perform as well immediately in college. Having been a D3 college coach (albeit jumps and multis, not sprints) I saw kids come in unprepared and not ready to communicate and commit, and often their good H.S. pr’s seemed almost fictional. A lot of the structure of high school, like eating and sleeping schedules, allows kids to perform at a high level, and among college frosh, that structure is removed and performances go down until they learn personal discipline. So I get the lowered (temporarily) performance levels that are common.

However, I teach our kids to communicate with their college coaches, and they are certainly committed, but they are often ignored in favor of “THE workout”, (as if it’s written in stone,) which seems to never be individualized and functions more as a separator of talent than a developer of talent. Lactic interval after lactic interval for sprinters, or horizontal jumpers having to run a mile for time once a week in the GPP to “keep them honest”…whatever.

So many college coaches, small or big, simply have enough talent that they don’t have to learn to decode the individual like we in high school do. I was lucky to be in a D3 program that, at our best, coached developmentally like high school, and, lo and behold, we got good results (lifetime PR’s) as a consequence.

Now I’m in that same position as some of you, giving broad platitudes to kids who are heartbroken and confused because their college workouts are so obtuse and they are not performing well, yet I don’t want to be the jerk high school coach who questions the college program. I bit my tongue because I can’t really help, but I’m pissed. Agh!

I know a ton of good high school coaches who feel the same!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.