Best Spikes for Hurdling 110 and 300

Participant
    hurdler56 on #10260

What are the spikes that work best for 110 and 300m hurdles? and what type of spikes to go with the shoes, 1/4 or 1/8, and what shape spikes? I was looking at the either the nike zoom cellar (not sure between the 1st or the 2nd) or the nike superfly g5. What are your guy’s opinions? Thanks

Participant
    Derrick Brito on #40512

ill be interested in the response here as well. i run the 100 too though.

rice773 on #40513

The question about the ‘best’ pair of spikes has been asked many times and the answer is always the same. As for length; most always 1/8 unless you are running cross country or on a cinder track (or you want to scare people). The shape of the spike depends on the surface on which you are running. Christmas tree spikes are made for softer tracks like Retorkan and Chevron so that the spikes do not ‘sink in’ to the track too far. They are banned at many meets as they tend to tear up the track. Christmas trees aren’t an advantage on harder surfaces like Mondo since you don’t sink in that far anyway. To sum that all up: softer track – christmas tree, harder track – pyramid.

Participant
    hurdler56 on #40514

so what is the answer to the best pair of spikes then? or a pair that works well for hurdles? lol

rice773 on #40515

Whatever you feel comfortable and fast in.

Participant
    sprinter on #40516

Comfort, comfort, comfort. Start looking at spikes with a stiff plate and adjust from there. I wore the MJ’s at one time for the 55 and I ran very well in them. So, one particuler spike isn’t going to make you slower or faster. Gail Devers wears distance spikes.

I would go with 1/4’s over 1/8’s. If you have crowns to go with your shoes wear them in one practice so your spikes are 1/8 in. and one without them so your spikes are 1/4 in.

Participant
    hurdler56 on #40517

alright thanks for the advice. I will give that a shot.
    what are your opinions of the superfly g5, the new cellars, and the old cellars for hurdles?

Participant
    ws100 on #40518

I have the old celars and I have run the 110HH in high school and 55HH in college with them. They are pretty good. Also ran some non hurdle events with them. I like them.

Participant
    GiveYourBest on #108569

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.