beginning sprint program for MASTERS Athlete

Participant
        calicoach on #10997

34, 200, 8% BF,

need work on Max strength (just got over a 2 year battle with hip & knee injury)

My first race I pulled my biceps femoris, grade 2, last sat.

Goals : compete july 10, july 24th, aug 6th  (just looking to compete healthy & get base times to setup goals & program for next year)
        50-60m& 100m  aug 6th is last race of season

Mon: max velocity & max weights/plyo    4x 30+20m  rest? sets?

tues:  tempo (on grass) & isometric core  5x 100m  1.5 rest

wed:  speed end or hills/ gen strength/mobility  4x80m  rest ?sets?

thrus:  tempo ( on grass) & isometric core  5x100m 1.5 rest

fri:  block starts,(not sure what to call this-accel?) max weights/plyos
        5x30w blocks  sets rest?

sat: pool tempo  (6 days on my feet? im thinking i should go 5 but not sure how to set it up)  maybe make thurs pool tempo only an make sat gen strength/mobility work?

sun off

2x a week massage, 1x week soft tissue, after m,w,f  hot/cold contrast baths, M-S cold bath after worlkouts

thanx guys

Participant
        calicoach on #46518

bump, I updated it

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #46519

There's not too much to say based on what you listed. That is to say based on what I see it looks ok but the more details you give you more specific our suggestions can be. One thing I would say though is that I wouldn't be working maxV so soon after a hamstring tear.

[edit: moved to Masters Forum]

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        calicoach on #46520

I hear ya mike, did max V/top speed yesterday and I was not confident and favoring it slightly. im not sure on how many reps their normally are in a sprint set (3)? and how to calculate the rest? 1 min per 10m, after 20 meter 1-2min per 10 meters?

hows max strength on mon & fri with wed being gen strength/mobility?

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #46521

When I do sprint sets the number of reps can vary from 1-15 depending on the length of the run or the time of year / purpose of the workout. For example, the first sprint workout of the year might be 15 x 10m with 1 minute rest in between each one. The last hard workout of the year might be 1 x 150m all-out. When calculating rest, I use the 1 minute / 10m rule for acceleration development and short speed endurance (up 60m). When you're trying to develop speed endurance (not necessarily short speed endurance) though rest intervals can vary from 2-15 minutes. See the FAQ on speed endurance and maxV training for more specific rest interval recommendations.

As for the weight work, max strength on Monday and Friday would work well. As I said before I typically wouldn't put low intensity GS on a hard day (Wednesday) but it might be a good idea in a program for a masters athlete. Another alternative would be to reduce the volume of lifting on Monday and Friday and add another heavy lifting day on Wednesday.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        calicoach on #46522

If I do mon & thurs as high CNS days, wed there would be no sprinting just gen mob & gen strength. Why would you call that a hard day?  or did you think i was also sprinting on wed?

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #46523

Well basically what I'm saying is that I'd recommend placing all of your high intensity components on the same day. It appears you have high intensity work on Monday, Thursday and Friday.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        calicoach on #46524

I see I may of confused ya.

HIGH CNS days are  mon, thurs

they entail  lifting & sprinting

tues (tempo runs)
        wed gen mobility (im not liking this day but not sure what to put in here)
        fri  (tempo runs)
        sat (pool tempo?
        sun off

Im thinking of going back M,W,F  high cns days but LOW volume, im just not feelin the wed gen mobility day then a  thurs  high cns day

• Mike Young
        Keymaster
        Mike Young on #46525

Thanks for the clarification.

Im thinking of going back M,W,F high cns days but LOW volume

I think this would work great for a masters athlete. That way you could do a little more high intensity work and space it out better so you'd be able to recover.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
        calicoach on #46526

HIGH CNS days are  mon, thurs

they entail  lifting & sprinting

tues (tempo runs)
        wed gen mobility
        fri  ????
        sat  grass tempo?
        sun off

not sure what to do fri?

Participant
        rrheyn on #46527

everybody needs speed, but its not so easy to improve when you are over 55. I did a lot endurance work in winter and forget to train on speed.
        Its a mistake to do so, but i was a fan of Lydiart system, with sometime very long distances, more then 2 hr.In springtime i started then with boundings and some in and outs, looking for bridges, because we have no hills.I am looking now for a video where i can learn drills, skip A en B and bounching techniques. I found in an old book from 1966, from Lydiart, some people doing bounchings in a street, but so easy, fluently, that i am curious about the right technique.
        I saw a few beautiful Yu-tubbs from Wariner on 400m, such a beautiful style, economicaly and efficiently,…maybe some one has information.
        thankx in advance

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.