Beaver Building

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #14931

This is the actual workouts for my college training group (sprints/hurdles and Jumps). My given parameters? A four week block of 3 days a week for two hours of organized practice before Late fall/winter break. Yes not ideal as I like to train but this is the given situation. I have astroturf, an indoor track and some grass with a fitness center. Good enough for me as many great performances have

Continue reading…

Participant
    utfootball4 on #73385

Thanks for sharing, nice to see something a little different.

Participant
    Dave Hegland on #73403

Carl,

I’m interested to hear how the microstretching and foam rolling would be structured if you had the ideal setup. Both for a tempo day and CNS intensive day. Also your thoughts on the benefits of microstretching before foam rolling, or vice versa.

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #73404

PNF stretching on the CNS days with a cool down protocol (not for PH but for muscle tone such as speed shuffles (tap dance like) for the legs to vibrate and relax naturally.

The rolling is done after microstretching as trigger point therapy research shows that light static work helps. Rolling after or before seems moot so far but again my program set up is different so I cant say if the order is not effective if you choose to add in one chunk of my program. Tempo days respond better to static work.

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #73406

The one thing I really like is you mention using themes. Do you tell the athletes what the theme is? If so do this mentally prepare them for the days work? I like posting or giving out the workout for a day and I included the theme and cues for the day and I felt this mentally set the athletes up for the work to be done.

Carl Valle
    Participant
    Carl Valle on #73407

The one thing I really like is you mention using themes. Do you tell the athletes what the theme is? If so do this mentally prepare them for the days work? I like posting or giving out the workout for a day and I included the theme and cues for the day and I felt this mentally set the athletes up for the work to be done.

I told them on the first day how we are doing it for this training blog. I am a new coach to them and they need to see how I work.

The other aspect it removes the fear of doing things wrong. Instead of technique day it’s explore as we need to see mistakes as part of the learning process. Repeat errors is a different thing.

good question.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.