Armstrong Returns: Why all sports aren’t created equal- cycling edition

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #14838

Apparently, the greatest cyclist of all time, Lance Armstrong, is making a comeback. He intends to ride in the 2009 Tour de France. This is interesting and provides for some more discussion material on the differences between seemingly similar sports. Like track, cycling is a physical performance based sport (rather than strategy, gamesmanship, team oriented sports, etc) that is generally quantita

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    BLogaN on #72200

I’m going to sit tight and wait for these reports to be confirmed…

Participant
    Beau Brehm on #72201

It’s already on ESPN, I believe it’s a done deal. Although I completely disagree with Lance Armstrong’s religious views, as far as his abilities as an athlete are concerned… the man is a badass. He has two great quotes that I like:

– “If you ever get a second chance in life for something, you’ve got to go all the way.”

– “This is my body. And I can do whatever I want to it. I can push it. Study it. Tweak it. Listen to it.
    Everybody wants to know what I’m on. What am I on? I’m on my bike busting my
    ass six hours a day. What are you on?”

I’ll be cheering for him.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #72203

Beau-
    What are his religious beliefs?

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    lorien on #72207

About Armstrong’s religious beliefs… well, he doesn’t seem to have them, hence it’s kind of difficult to disagree with them. 😉

All in all, interesting news! I know some cyclists that have successfully managed to do a quick comeback on a national level. I suppose endurance sports are a bit easier that way, (compared to events requiring elasticity and explosiveness).

Participant
    Daniel Andrews on #72208

Mike:

I have to disagree with you, unless a track athlete is not paying attention to the throws, especially the javelin, or a they are a pole vaulter. Falling off a bike at 40-60km/hr can end one’s career or life in the blink of an eye. Definitely there have been more deaths and career ending injuries in road or track cycling. Armstrong has been lucky, he’s had very few crashes and the ones he did have were going uphill rather than downhill or within the peloton.

Participant
    RussZHC on #72209

I would debate that while impacts per se are less the risk of repetitive use type injuries are more likely, especially if there has been any history of injury eg. knees partially because of the speeds involved (90 rpm to 110 rpm) but more in combination with the hours of training needed. I am also not sure of the longer term affects of being in more or less one position for hour upon hour, year after year.
    Of course the other thing that comes into “play” are motor vehicles, you only need to see the results once of being “doored” or colliding with any part of the rear of a car because of being cut off and having no place to go once and the dangers are very real. I was only concussed once (wearing a helmet) on the track but have seen sprint cyclists in upper body casts for whole seasons from both collar bones being broken; if the surface is concrete it is far more like a cheese grater than track burn from a rubberized surface will ever be (let alone if it happens on a road and you get to pick out gravel for hours).
    The during Armstrong races I have seen he has been very lucky but the “luck” partly due to being smart and having a team around him (that middle/back of the pack stuff doesn’t happen to him often, if at all).

Participant
    burkhalter on #72210

Beau-
    What are his religious beliefs?

He’s an atheist. And while I 100% disagree with him I am thankful he can fully express his views. God Bless America!

Participant
    Beau Brehm on #72211

About Armstrong’s religious beliefs… well, he doesn’t seem to have them, hence it’s kind of difficult to disagree with them. 😉

Armstrong is an atheist and is against organized religion. So I guess I should say I disagree with his lack of religious beliefs.

Participant
    lorien on #72213

Armstrong is an atheist and is against organized religion. So I guess I should say I disagree with his lack of religious beliefs.

I don’t think he’s against organized religion, at least that’s what he said; he’s just not “into them”. How exactly do you disagree with something that’s absent, meaning, not being there in the first place? What if he would say: “I do not collect stamps.” How would you go about disagreeing with that?

Participant
    Beau Brehm on #72214

[quote author="beau_zo_brehm" date="1220998543"]Armstrong is an atheist and is against organized religion. So I guess I should say I disagree with his lack of religious beliefs.

I don’t think he’s against organized religion, at least that’s what he said; he’s just not “into them”. How exactly do you disagree with something that’s absent, meaning, not being there in the first place? What if he would say: “I do not collect stamps.” How would you go about disagreeing with that?[/quote]

Because I’m one of those people that thinks everyone ought to collect stamps. 😉

Armstrong is clearly one of the most remarkable athletes of our time though, and I hope he can make some more history.

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #72215

Mike:

I have to disagree with you, unless a track athlete is not paying attention to the throws, especially the javelin, or a they are a pole vaulter. Falling off a bike at 40-60km/hr can end one’s career or life in the blink of an eye. Definitely there have been more deaths and career ending injuries in road or track cycling. Armstrong has been lucky, he’s had very few crashes and the ones he did have were going uphill rather than downhill or within the peloton.

Good points. I was more referring to wear and tear and the ABILITY to participate at an elite level. In that regards it’s kinda like NASCAR…if you’re good and you manage not to get fatally injured you can compete at a very high level for a very long time.

ELITETRACK Founder

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.