are dynamic warm-ups enough?

Posted In: Flexibility

Participant
    footballfan on #16790

Hi all, this is my first post and it’s in connection with warming up and stretching.

Unfortunately i can’t find the research on this yet but its in reference to ‘Michael Boyle’s Functional strength coach 3.0’

He says that rather than warmup and dynamically stretch, foam rolling, static stretching ‘cold’ and then using activatation exercises is a better way to warm up.

The foam rolling i understand – if you have a knot/tight spot, the muscle will only stretch either side of it, and you won’t get the full potential.

The part about stretching is new to me. Conventionally, i thought increasing temperature in the muscle and then stretching was the way to go – dynamic movements followed or interjected with dynamic stretches being most favoured.

He states (paraphrase)’that in order to get some change in tissue length, you need to get some plastic deformation i.e. stretch the connective tissue, and for this you need to do it cold. If you stretch when muscles are warm they will only return to normal again’.

This last part is interesting –
    how long does it take for a warm and stretched muscle to return to its normal/original state? Are there studies out that can tell us?

what are the implications of stretching fascia?
    And finally is it possible to static stretch a cold muscle without damaging it adversly?

Participant
    theis.klinzing.nielsen@gmail.com on #99164

It depends on what you are going to do. If you are a endurance atlthete you should maybe do 20 min. run for warm up, if you are sprinter you should might do some stretching and some slow sprinting for warm up. But only dynamic warm-ups is not enough!

Participant
    Mccabe on #99169

You shouldn’t stretch a cold muscle.

Participant
    theis.klinzing.nielsen@gmail.com on #99170

You shouldn’t stretch a cold muscle.

Why???, it makes the muscels warm so you dont get injured.

Participant
    Mccabe on #99171

A cold muscle? Would you just go straight into doing PNF stretching?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #99296

A thorough active dynamic warmup by its very nature is enough. For most athletes this will take between 20-60 minutes and could / should include temperature elevation, mobility / flexibility work, coordinative / skill work (sprint drills, hurdle mobility, etc), and CNS priming if necessary for the demands of the day.

Personally, my warmups are 40-60 minutes and are used as a means of addressing biomotor and multi-system balance. In many regards they are training and not just warming up.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    hurdler49 on #100066

It depends on what you are going to do. If you are a endurance atlthete you should maybe do 20 min. run for warm up, if you are sprinter you should might do some stretching and some slow sprinting for warm up. But only dynamic warm-ups is not enough!

Yeah! Jog first. Then do dynamic stretches. I do static stretches after a workout.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.