And the bronze goes to…

Posted In: Blog Discussion

• Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #14580

Check out these results from this past weekend’s IC4A championships at Princeton. All who were in the competition had jumped over 2m to qualify.I know what happened. Do you? Kudos to the person who can give the closest complete explanation for the odd results.

Continue reading…

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    azz88 on #69903

cancelled due to rain to lightning or something like that? LOL thats so funny

Participant
    Josh Hurlebaus on #69904

The bar was at the wrong height for the NH jumps and they realized this when they measured from the bar instead of the standards for the last two people in? The NH’s are because they couldn’t give fake heights?

Honestly I have no clue.

Participant
    coachformerlyknownas on #69905

Check out these results from this past weekend’s IC4A championships at Princeton. All who were in the competition had jumped over 2m to qualify.I know what happened. Do you? Kudos to the person who can give the closest complete explanation for the odd results.

Continue reading…

Another sad example of east coast athletes who chose the wrong school to jump for…
    ; )

Participant
    coachformerlyknownas on #69906

[quote author="Mike Young" date="1211350800"]Check out these results from this past weekend’s IC4A championships at Princeton. All who were in the competition had jumped over 2m to qualify.I know what happened. Do you? Kudos to the person who can give the closest complete explanation for the odd results.

Continue reading…

Another sad example of east coast athletes who chose the wrong school to jump for…
    ; )[/quote]

Another sad example of athlete’s coaches having prior knowledge of opening heights for what is the season ending meet for their charges, yet ignoring to prepare for what was likely the highest opening bar most if not all have ever faced.

At the next level its known as “Trials-itis”
    This common malady strikes those “elite by association” athletes who get into the Trials just under the wire, then “3 and out” an opening height that they have never seen in a meet before, let alone the pressure cooker of the Trials…

Participant
    J Kilgore on #69907

I’ll guess that opening height was 2.04 either correctly or incorrectly (marked wrong) and that the event started right before a monsoon since it was a terrible weekend in that part of the country last weekend. Then there was probably a delay either because of rain or because the officials were debating about moving inside.

???

Or everyone else scratched but the two jumpers that make 2.04…

Participant
    Chad Williams on #69910

Only 5 guys ran the 200 final, which means some schools packed it in early.

So the event starts but no one jumps at the opening height because there is a storm delay. All but 2 guys wait it out due to the continued crappy weather. Everyone else gets a NH because they technically started the competition.

Kudos?

Mike Young
    Keymaster
    Mike Young on #69912

Some have hit it in parts but not the whole story. Some are picking up on clues (i.e. the 200m race) but not interpretting them correctly. Since it’s spurring a ‘whodunnit’ like scenario, I’ll keep it going and give the answer tonight.

ELITETRACK Founder

Participant
    Chad Williams on #69913

Man, I thought I had this one . . .

The meet continues despite the crappy weather. Lots of jumpers decide to pass hoping to wait out the storm. Yet, while they are away, the two remaining jumpers had passed the early heights as well. Thus moving up the bar prematurely. When the masses regather, the bar is already at 2.09m and thus making it nearly impossible for anybody else to clear.

Nick Newman
    Participant
    Nick Newman on #69916

lots of puddles on the track was what i got told by someone who jumped in it…

Participant
    ex400 on #69917

Crazyhops must be on to something. Maybe there was a huge puddle on the part of the apron used by left-footed jumpers, but no problem on the other side. So the only two right-footed jumpers cleared the height. LOL.

Participant
    coachformerlyknownas on #69918

[quote author="coachformerlyknownas..." date="1211373141"][quote author="Mike Young" date="1211350800"]Check out these results from this past weekend’s IC4A championships at Princeton. All who were in the competition had jumped over 2m to qualify.I know what happened. Do you? Kudos to the person who can give the closest complete explanation for the odd results.

Continue reading…

; )[/quote]

Another sad example of athlete’s coaches having prior knowledge of opening heights for what is the season ending meet for their charges, yet ignoring to prepare for what was likely the highest opening bar most if not all have ever faced.

This common malady strikes those “elite by association” athletes who get into the Trials just under the wire, then “3 and out” an opening height that they have never seen in a meet before, let alone the pressure cooker of the Trials…[/quote]

Another sad example of “Swedish Tendon-itis”
    A not so common malady that aflicts otherwise healthy appearing elite high jumpers on wet surfaces while running in the straight, initial phase of their run-up… Tendon suddenly blows up for no apparent reason. Truly a mystery…

Participant
    coachformerlyknownas on #69919

[quote author="coachformerlyknownas..." date="1211373466"][quote author="coachformerlyknownas..." date="1211373141"][quote author="Mike Young" date="1211350800"]Check out these results from this past weekend’s IC4A championships at Princeton. All who were in the competition had jumped over 2m to qualify.I know what happened. Do you? Kudos to the person who can give the closest complete explanation for the odd results.

Continue reading…

; )[/quote]

This common malady strikes those “elite by association” athletes who get into the Trials just under the wire, then “3 and out” an opening height that they have never seen in a meet before, let alone the pressure cooker of the Trials…[/quote]

A not so common malady that aflicts otherwise healthy appearing elite high jumpers on wet surfaces while running in the straight, initial phase of their run-up… Tendon suddenly blows up for no apparent reason. Truly a mystery…[/quote]

Another sad example of “Duran’s Syndrome” The initials NH in this case representing what in Spanish is commonly known as “No Mas”

Participant
    coachformerlyknownas on #69920

[quote author="coachformerlyknownas..." date="1211388760"][quote author="coachformerlyknownas..." date="1211373466"][quote author="coachformerlyknownas..." date="1211373141"][quote author="Mike Young" date="1211350800"]Check out these results from this past weekend’s IC4A championships at Princeton. All who were in the competition had jumped over 2m to qualify.I know what happened. Do you? Kudos to the person who can give the closest complete explanation for the odd results.

Continue reading…

; )[/quote]

A not so common malady that aflicts otherwise healthy appearing elite high jumpers on wet surfaces while running in the straight, initial phase of their run-up… Tendon suddenly blows up for no apparent reason. Truly a mystery…[/quote]

Another sad example of “Duran’s Syndrome” The initials NH in this case representing what in Spanish is commonly know as “No Mas”[/quote]

Am I getting warm yet????

Participant
    Chad Williams on #69921

Crazyhops must be on to something. Maybe there was a huge puddle on the part of the apron used by left-footed jumpers, but no problem on the other side. So the only two right-footed jumpers cleared the height. LOL.

I think you are both on to something. If my memory serves me correctly, the steeple chase pit is on the right side of that apron and water typically collects around that area of the track. It might have even spilled into some of the inside lanes by the start of the 200.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.